Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will I be getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. I wouldn’t say I’m worrying, more like planning. Because I’m also not 100% sure that I’ll go ahead with the model Y purchase. I’m still considering other model cars.

Here is the thing, there are 3 model Y variants:

-MY Standard Range(Built in Austin, new batteries, new front casting chassis) 279~ miles.

-MY Long Range(99% of them in the USA come front Fremont), 330~ miles depending on wheel config.

MY Performance(Also coming from Fremont), 303 Miles of range.

If you ordered a MY LR, that’s what you will receive, Tesla was offering some customer closer to the Austin Texas the option to switch to a SR if they wanted, many passed on it, some took it.

Eventually Tesla will start building MY LR and Performance versions at Austin but there is no timeframe about it. Some say LRs are imminent.

Having said that, there will be very minor differences between the Austin and Fremont MYs from a cosmetic perspective(cargo tray) and the performance/casting differences are mostly unknown at the moment.

I would advise you to make a decision on the car in its current state(Fremont) and do not make a decision based on what it could be. If you end up getting a newer version, that would likely be an improvement, not a downgrade.

It's pointless to worry about what you are actually going to take delivery of, because all Tesla products change randomly, daily. Enjoy the company culture of "Under promise and Over deliver". You will almost certainly get some improvements that have been implemented between your order and actual delivery and whatever it is, it will be better than what they were delivering yesterday.

More troubling is the delivery process where you are allowed to see your car, from a distance of 3 feet, but not touch it, smell it, open it, see inside of it, look in the frunk or trunk, etc., until AFTER you have signed and paid for it and it is officially yours. The only persons who will touch your car before you are the Tesla employees who built it, transported it and prepped it for delivery.

You really have to have faith in Tesla to hand over that much money in exchange for something you have only seen from a distance. But based on the customer satisfaction surveys, (and the crazy backlog and waiting queue), it is warranted. So just relax and enjoy, it will all be okay. If you're not comfortable with doing it their way, you should probably consider some other vehicle.

Reactions: fishy21
You seem confused. There is no such car. It’s Model Y SR, LR, or Performance.
That is not an accurate statement. I was not referring to an SR at all.
The Austin built Model Y-AWD is called exactly that by Tesla. It is often inaccurately referred to as an SR by folks on this forum.
There are numerous images posted of both the alternate car offer screen and actual car display that show it being called Y-AWD, not SR.

The original Model Y with the Rear wheel drive was the SR. This new one with the 4680 structural batteries is a AWD because it drives using all the wheels. It’s pointless to worry about which vehicle you are getting when you ordered a specific model. Tesla will deliver whatever they have/build and while you can hope for the new batteries or whatever advancements, there is no guarantee you will get that unless you specifically ordered it. If you get a call where they are willing to swap out your ordered vehicle for a different one, you can make a decision then but if you haven’t been offered anything, your order still stands.

Eventually Tesla will start building MY LR and Performance versions at Austin but there is no timeframe about it. Some say LRs are imminent.
Good summary but it should be noted that Austin is now building some MYLR cars. These are essentially identical to Fremont cars with 2170 batteries. Only difference seems to be that they come with the parcel shelf.

I think we should definitely be able to chose. Why can’t we? Instead of choosing I guess we can defer?

What would the pros be of a model y standard range with the newer battery?
you can't make that choice, because it would severely complicate the logistics Tesla has to manage.
That, if accommodated, would mean a big price increase, at minimum, and probable big delivery delays.

Imagine that everyone decided to only accept a car from Austin, well, because it's the new one...according to the blogs. Even if both Fremont and Austin made exactly the same vehicle, the blogs say get the car from Austin.

you don't have that choice from ANY car manufacturer. And why should you.

Good summary but it should be noted that Austin is now building some MYLR cars. These are essentially identical to Fremont cars with 2170 batteries. Only difference seems to be that they come with the parcel shelf.
the complicating factor here is that we don't know what MYLR chassis configuration is being made in Austin.
Is it the Fremont version, standard for a couple years now, that uses the rear megacast and standard 2170 battery pack?
Or, the Austin chassis, which uses both F+R megacasts and a floorpan stiffener that accommodates a 2170 battery pack?

this is why recipients of the Austin MYLR are being asked to check whether a front megacast is present in their cars.

Last edited:
you can't make that choice, because it would severely complicate the logistics Tesla has to manage.
That, if accommodated, would mean a big price increase, at minimum, and probable big delivery delays.

Imagine that everyone decided to only accept a car from Austin, well, because it's the new one...according to the blogs. Even if both Fremont and Austin made exactly the same vehicle, the blogs say get the car from Austin.

you don't have that choice from ANY car manufacturer. And why should you.
I think you're misunderstanding the choice @steph746 was talking about.
In the case of you having a Y-LR and being offered a Y-AWD, you absolutely can make a choice - and it is (was?) offered as a choice by Tesla.
You place your order for a Model Y-LR, just like many folks did. Then, if you selected the option to be offered other "similar" vehicles, you may be offered the option to get an Austin Y-AWD.
This happened to me and many, many others exactly like this - as a choice.
Then you choose to either stay with your Y-LR order or get a Y-AWD. Some got the Y-AWD and got delivery sooner, others chose to stay with the original Y-LR and continue waiting.
Nobody was forcing me to get a Y-AWD.

I think you're misunderstanding the choice @steph746 was talking about.
In the case of you having a Y-LR and being offered a Y-AWD, you absolutely can make a choice - and it is (was?) offered as a choice by Tesla.
You place your order for a Model Y-LR, just like many folks did. Then, if you selected the option to be offered other "similar" vehicles, you may be offered the option to get an Austin Y-AWD.
This happened to me and many, many others exactly like this - as a choice.
Then you choose to either stay with your Y-LR order or get a Y-AWD. Some got the Y-AWD and got delivery sooner, others chose to stay with the original Y-LR and continue waiting.
Nobody was forcing me to get a Y-AWD.
the thread began with AWD vs LR but added a tangent - make a choice between factories.

the thread began with AWD vs LR but added a tangent - make a choice between factories.
That makes sense, I guess it depends on your perspective on whether you want a Y-AWD or not 😁
If someone is offered a Y-AWD then they obviously do have the choice - but if they were never offered one, then technically they equally obviously didn't have the choice.
I think the OP was most interested in keeping the Y-LR, so not getting the choice may be fine (not wanting to make assumptions here @steph746 )

At some point in the future Tesla may be able to offer the Y-AWD as an option, but they've got to make a significant increase in production before that can happen. Thats the most intriguing part, as you mentioned in your later post, how close is the Austin LR to the Fremont LR and what are the differences.

That makes sense, I guess it depends on your perspective on whether you want a Y-AWD or not 😁
If someone is offered a Y-AWD then they obviously do have the choice - but if they were never offered one, then technically they equally obviously didn't have the choice.
I think the OP was most interested in keeping the Y-LR, so not getting the choice may be fine (not wanting to make assumptions here @steph746 )

At some point in the future Tesla may be able to offer the Y-AWD as an option, but they've got to make a significant increase in production before that can happen. Thats the most intriguing part, as you mentioned in your later post, how close is the Austin LR to the Fremont LR and what are the differences.
in theory, as more receive their cars from Austin, we will find out soon.

Hi Everyone. Thanks again for all of your replies.

I am interested in keeping the reservation for the MYLR. Right now, having as much range as possible would be best I think.

Just getting back to configurations, I have been reading about things like the cargo tray and that the Model Y is not coming with it? I understand that I'll have to wait until closer to my order being ready, but can I request to have a Model Y with that since that is what I was expecting when I placed the order?

Thanks...

Just getting back to configurations, I have been reading about things like the cargo tray and that the Model Y is not coming with it? I understand that I'll have to wait until closer to my order being ready, but can I request to have a Model Y with that since that is what I was expecting when I placed the order?
Nope - you cannot request a car with specific attributes, aside from those listed in the configuration tool (color, FSD, hitch...). Same with other attributes, like all-season vs performance tires on MYP, Ryzen display (though all cars have that now), on and on.

I see. What exactly is the cargo tray? Is this something that is being discontinued? Helpful to have?
Consider looking at ANY of the Austin Model Y threads this has been covered dozens of times with photos. The cargo “shelf” has no value to me other then something to remove and store in my garage. Definitely not something I would be concerned about personally.

I see. What exactly is the cargo tray? Is this something that is being discontinued? Helpful to have?
MIC, MIG, MIT cargo cover (made in China, made in Germany, made in Texas). Not currently delivered with Fremont-made vehicles.

It is removable, and deploys in a 'Z' fold. Also includes 4 tiedown points at the trunk floor level.

It's nice to have for cargo privacy and may reduce some 'booming' noise coming from the hatch area - it's a large open area that can amplify sound to a degree.
Most people don't have any issues there, though. It's nice to have but not a critical requirement at all. There are 3rd party solutions that aren't expensive (and some that are).

There are many unknowns regarding what MYLR configuration exactly is being made in Texas.
By the time your delivery comes up, that should be much better understood. And, Fremont may get an update. No one knows as yet.
Understand that, regardless of which factory it may come from, the build quality is now very very good. So enjoy it when it arrives your driveway!

You can add a cargo cover to any Y for like $89
As a 3rd party add on. It is not a selectable option from Tesla. The OP seems confused between what you can order and what is different at specific factories. Cargo cover is not something you can choose to get from Tesla. They add and remove things as they wish unless they are specified on your Order Agreement. Things like MCU, dual glazed windows, cargo cover, center console, 12v battery, etc. are not listed as thus can be added or changed/dropped as Tesla pleases.

To reduce this down to it’s simplest form:

OP ordered a LR MY. You will get a LR MY unless you tell Tesla you are willing to accept AWD MY. Once Tesla assigns a VIN, if you happen to be assigned a VIN from Austin, it will likely come with the cargo cover (but maybe not if they decide to stop offering them). But, by the time you receive a VIN Tesla may have starting installing cargo covers on Fremont vehicles.

This fact is known with Tesla, you will get what you get and the range will be what you ordered or higher. The things you selected on the website will be as you ordered, everything else can be changed and it is what it is. Once they go forward with a change at a factory, they rarely reverse course.

As a 3rd party add on. It is not a selectable option from Tesla. The OP seems confused between what you can order and what is different at specific factories. Cargo cover is not something you can choose to get from Tesla. They add and remove things as they wish unless they are specified on your Order Agreement. Things like MCU, dual glazed windows, cargo cover, center console, 12v battery, etc. are not listed as thus can be added or changed/dropped as Tesla pleases.

To reduce this down to it’s simplest form:

OP ordered a LR MY. You will get a LR MY unless you tell Tesla you are willing to accept AWD MY. Once Tesla assigns a VIN, if you happen to be assigned a VIN from Austin, it will likely come with the cargo cover (but maybe not if they decide to stop offering them). But, by the time you receive a VIN Tesla may have starting installing cargo covers on Fremont vehicles.

This fact is known with Tesla, you will get what you get and the range will be what you ordered or higher. The things you selected on the website will be as you ordered, everything else can be changed and it is what it is. Once they go forward with a change at a factory, they rarely reverse course.
I think the OP is lost on the whole process. I don't think it's that complicated.

Simply stating if he wants a cover for back there, you don't have to switch an entire model car. Lol.

Last edited: