TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What will i lose in a year after Premium Connectivity goes away

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by smsiegel33, Aug 16, 2018.

1. smsiegel33

smsiegel33 Member

Can anyone confirm what all is included in the one year of premium connectivity? Does that mean it loses all cellular connectivity after a year? That's kind of what the "co-pilot" on my test drive seemed to imply. That there would be no map or navigation after the first year unless i paid the $8/month fee. I would like to hope that after one year my car all of the sudden doesn't have any sort of maps ability. How would it know if i am going to run out of range or be able to route me to a supercharger? I have to believe there is a basic connectivity that gives you maps but not traffic. Or that streaming services are no longer included.

2. Runebane

Runebane Member

3. smsiegel33

smsiegel33 Member

Thanks. i couldnt imagine that would be the case but thats what the person told me. perhaps i misunderstood what he was saying though.

4. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

I'm assuming this means "Slacker" for us folks in North America and doesn't necessarily refer to streaming from a Bluetooth device.

5. Need

Need Active Member

Yes because Premium connectivity is in addition to Standard connectivity. And "music & media over Bluetooth®" is already listed under Standard connectivity.

• Informative x 1
  6. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Duh. I feel stupid. I can't read in order. I need more coffee... Thanks for pointing that out!

7. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

this particular note irks me a bit...

so, if they add spotify in the US in the future, even those of us who ordered before july 1 and have free premium connectivity for the life of the car have to pay to upgrade to get it?

i really hope i'm reading too much into that...but that's what i get out of that statement.

8. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

I think we that have the premium for life will not have to pay.

9. ftlum

ftlum Member

Navigation-wise, my understanding is that you’ll loose traffic data. What bothers me is that our cell phones can’t be used as a mobile hot spot so that the car can use our phone plan’s data. I would think that it should be technically possible to do that.

10. Runebane

Runebane Member

It has WiFi connectivity so I don't see why you couldn't use you phone. Have you tried yet?

11. BallzOne

BallzOne Member

My owners manual says I get Slacker radio in the car for 4 years. No mention about having to pay for premium to keep it. I’m an order after June 30.

12. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Actually, it looks like Tesla is making the traffic data very spotty to say the least. It will be interesting to see if people who pay will get back the real time updating that everyone used to get.

13. Zidarich

Zidarich Member

So you won’t be able to stream music via slacker radio without premium connectivity. Meaning all music will have to be streamed through Bluetooth, which means my upgraded sound system is basically worthless. What a load of *sugar*.

14. wcorey

wcorey Member

As additional apps and services become available in the future, owners will have the opportunity to upgrade their connectivity plan. Unless this means you can pay for "spotify" all by itself in addition to Premium?

15. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

With the exception of no aux and satellite radio how is this different than any other car in the same class? Actually the Tesla connectivity fee is less than most others.

16. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Those are pretty huge exceptions.

But "lack of directly connecting a phone via USB for higher quality playback and a better interface" would be another way it's different.

Most other cars in this class (or even much lower classes) offer both things you list Tesla lacking AND that one too.

17. wcorey

wcorey Member

On or before June 30th

18. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

As it stands right now, I'd have no problem letting premium connectivity lapse. But I imagine better features will be added to the car in the future that will make me want to pay that $8/mo.

19. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

If you are using an iPhone, you should be getting pretty good quality, since Tesla supports the AAC codec over Bluetooth (see here).

20. RichXKU

RichXKU Member

I honestly don't notice any difference in quality between Slacker, bluetooth, and my USB stick.
    Maybe I need to crank it up and play with that 'submersive sound' feature?