Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will Martin do Next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the Venture One
It's cool, but will never be a big seller or change any trends. A decent, real EV will sell. If Toyota released the RAV EV today with 150 mile range they'd sell thousands right now.
They've got something like 1000 people on the waiting list and only introduced a foam mock-up last week. Aptera has well over 1000 Californians who plunked down $500 bucks each to get on the waiting list. Sure the numbers are small, but there is a definite shift in the automotive marketplace and I think you will see the Big Three following suit in the next decade.

I will not be making 3 wheelers.

Like I said on my own blog, the real reason people make 3-wheelers (in the UK and the USA at least) is because regulations classify them as motorcycles, and thereby allow them to be sold without airbags, bumpers, side-intrusion protection, and lots of other safety gear required for 4-wheelers.

I am a big believer in safety gear on cars, and a big believer in government requirements for such safety gear. What would an Aptera look like if it actually met the safety regulations that a basic Hundai meets? Hmm.

For my own part, I will not be building cars that don't meet basic DOT safety requirements for cars.

(I won't be making motorcycles either, but that's because my wife won't let me :rolleyes:)

I won't be making motorcycles either, but that's because my wife won't let me :rolleyes:)

That is right! I told him he could buy one, but he could not actually ride it on the open road. He would have to sit on it in the garage or tow it on a trailer behind his jeep. We have seen too many bikes down on Skyline. I did let him sit on a motorcycle while we were at the Peterson Museum. I even blew in his hair and went "zoom" to give him the feeling of the road.

? - Please don't just drop a hint like that and not give us a little more.

Sorry to mislead you! Martin's current obsession is getting rid of the ground squirrels and other creatures that were living in our tool shed.

However, he and Marc are investigating new companies. Some ideas I like more that others, but most are very interesting. As I have said before, I think that there will be several people sad that they are not invited to play this time.:wink:

Here's something Martin is up to:

Mayfield Adds 3 EIRs

Menlo Park-based Mayfield said Wednesday that it has added three new entrepreneurs in residence to the firm. Mayfield said that Martin Eberhard, co-founder of NCD, NuvoMedia, and Tesla Motors; Marc Tarpenning, of NuvoMedia and Tesla Motors; and James Phillips, founder of Akimbi Systems, have all joined the venture firm. NuvoMedia was backed by Mayfield, and was acquired by Gemstar/TV Guide; Akimbi Systems was also Mayfield backed, and was acquired by VMware. The firm said the three will explore opportunities in the cleantech and enterprise sectors.
posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Private Equity HUB - Mayfield Adds Three EIRs

Thanks doug

"Our association with Martin, Marc, and James has shown us that they are prescient at identifying customer needs that can grow into large market opportunities," said Navin Chaddha, Managing Director at Mayfield Fund. "We look forward to working with them to incubate or invest in the next great cleantech or software company."

Hopefully, we'll get some details in the next few weeks?

Very interesting quotes, TEG. I had not read anything suggesting that Martin was so critical of Project Better Place before this. His criticisms do make some sense.

I agree on this. My hope for BEVs is that they eventually get cheap enough that we don't need an elaborate subscription model for them to work. I think most people want to own their cars.
The article also mentions Martin's interest in solid oxide fuel cells, which I believe wasn't mentioned here before.

From the article,

"The next problem Eberhard highlights is harder to deal with. The expensive thing with a battery pack is the container, not the contents, and every time you use the container it wears down slightly, so a battery back that's been used a hundred times will offer shorter range than one that's never been used."

OK, I understand that the more you use the battery the more it wears down (duh) but what is this talk about the "container" ???

From the article,

"The next problem Eberhard highlights is harder to deal with. The expensive thing with a battery pack is the container, not the contents, and every time you use the container it wears down slightly, so a battery back that's been used a hundred times will offer shorter range than one that's never been used."

OK, I understand that the more you use the battery the more it wears down (duh) but what is this talk about the "container" ???

I think he means the connectors. I see that as the weakest point in a battery. The more you swap, the more wear. Worn connectors will result in a slight gap which results in resistance and whatnot. Those who are more mathematically inclined around here should be able to give us stats on this.

From the article,

My take:

Electricity is/are the "contents" and that part is relatively cheap.
The "container" being the batteries themselves are expensive, and they slowly wear out. The usual overarching point is that people buying a brand new car aren't going to be thrilled to have to trade their new pack for a recharged one (at a swap station) that may be on its' last legs and offers much less range. It's a tad analogous to taking your new propane tank to the filling station and being given a rusty old one in exchange (although in that case the tank isn't worth a whole lot more than the propane inside).

Last edited:
... that people buying a brand new car aren't going to be thrilled to have to trade their new pack for a recharged one (at a swap station)

While I agree with the new battery (or Propane tank) swap for an old grimey one argument I would make is in pointing out that it's a short-lived problem. If the swap station guarantees a certain milage from a battery, who cares if it's ugly under your car for two weeks?
And on another note, I believe with the PBP model you never own the battery anyway. It's always a "loaner" or Rental. I guess that means you are buying a glider.