Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will Model 3 do to Chevy Bolt sales?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as Tesla can sell every Model 3 it makes and ends up production constrained anyways, it doesn't really matter of some point choose a lower priced Bolt, or that Chevy has to discount $2k or $5k to move the Bolt. Tesla still commands a premium so they make more money, the factory is running at the peak that they can run it at anyways, and we get more BEVs on the road.

Thank You. Tesla has set itself up as a luxury brand and I doubt that Bolt or Leaf 2 sales will make a noticeable difference in Model 3 sales. If anything, increased mainstream company electric car buying will only increase to interest in electric cars, and thus, Tesla. The unfounded hate on the Bold on this site is disconcerting.

I agree these cars will ultimately sell to different demographics, but the Bolt doesn't strike me as near the cheesy econocar folks are playing it out to be. Looks pretty dang sharp to me here given its utilitarian form factor (note: HD quality):

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree these cars will ultimately sell to different demographics, but the Bolt doesn't strike me as near the cheesy econocar folks are playing it out to be.

I agree. The Bolt will sell to all the folks clamoring for a small CUV-style EV. If they make the car drive as nice as a Volt, Chevy will have a winner with that segment. I came to my Volt from a Lexus IS250 and I was VERY impressed with how nice it was to drive and ride in. Nothing at all like the Cruze I had as a loaner once - that thing was a POS. So Chevy DOES know how to make nice cars, especially their EV department.

I think its all wonderful that we will finally have a CHOICE in the mass market price range for 200-mile EVs! That is completely awesome! I hope more manufacturers come on board with long-range EVs.

I agree these cars will ultimately sell to different demographics, but the Bolt doesn't strike me as near the cheesy econocar folks are playing it out to be. Looks pretty dang sharp to me here given its utilitarian form factor (note: HD quality):

While I am not fond of the looks of the Bolt, it does check most of the boxes for me: Adaptive Cruise Control, lane keep assist, auto emergency braking, blind spot monitoring, heated seats and steering wheel, decent range, decent capacity to carry stuff, decent screen size, around view monitoring (for parking), etc.

With that being said, we are still getting two M3's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents on the subject, this morning I drove my S60 about 100 miles. It is our every day car. We traded out VW that had a range if 700 mile (full tank) for the S60 max range new was 206 miles max range today it’s 186.

It’s not the range, it’s the charging stations, The Mode 3 will be able to charge at Tesla’s SC system. The Volt, Bolt, Leaf and I3 will not.

Why does someone buy a Tesla, one, because they want to and two they can afford to.

I bought my first new GM vehicle ever last October (2015 Silverado LT V8 4X4) and I have to say, if you haven't had a chance to check out anything GM has produced lately you'll be surprised.. The quality is WAY, WAY, improved over what it used to be (how could it not be right?). I really think they will sell them as fast as they can make them. The number 1 reason for people not buying an electric car is range, and this will be more then doubling the current range of "affordable" EV's with not much of if any of a price increase.

Also, I think the appeal of the supercharger network is overstated.. My cousin purchased his 60KW Model S in September and has been to a supercharger TWICE since, and the one time was just to check it out. I know their are people that use them extensively but I'd bet most people generally charge at home unless their is one in your hometown.

I'll probably be putting a deposit down on the Model 3 anyways, but I'll definitely be checking out the Bolt when it makes it to dealers.

Also, I think the appeal of the supercharger network is overstated.. My cousin purchased his 60KW Model S in September and has been to a supercharger TWICE since, and the one time was just to check it out. I know their are people that use them extensively but I'd bet most people generally charge at home unless their is one in your hometown.

While it is true that most people will charge at home, the Supercharger network is an enabler. At roughly equal vehicle cost, it would be hard to choose an electric vehicle with 200 mile range that cannot charge on a national network of L3 DC charging stations versus one that can use that network.

While it is true that most people will charge at home, the Supercharger network is an enabler. At roughly equal vehicle cost, it would be hard to choose an electric vehicle with 200 mile range that cannot charge on a national network of L3 DC charging stations versus one that can use that network.

Do we know for certain if supercharger access will be free? I find it hard to imagine it would be at the low base price they're quoting for the Model 3. Also, I'd think Tesla would need a HUGE supercharger building/upgrade program to keep up with the demand.. You kind of lose the benefit of supercharging if you have to wait for a stall to become available.

Hopefully we learn enough come March 31st.

Do we know for certain if supercharger access will be free? I find it hard to imagine it would be at the low base price they're quoting for the Model 3. Also, I'd think Tesla would need a HUGE supercharger building/upgrade program to keep up with the demand.. You kind of lose the benefit of supercharging if you have to wait for a stall to become available.

Hopefully we learn enough come March 31st.

Free or not, the end price is likely close enough to the Bolt that there is tremendous value in the network in favor of the Model 3.

As for the Supercharger building program, Tesla is still committed to building out quite a few, the current pause not withstanding. Why do you think Tesla cannot keep up with demand?

Ahh, but there is the key question - will the vehicle costs be equivalent once the full details about the Model 3 pricing are released? I have been burned by Tesla before (I wanted that Model S for $60K with 240 mile range that they talked about so much before the release), so I am not holding high hopes that the base model 3 will be both 200 mile range and supercharged at the base price.

Here is a blast from the past, and why I was so disappointed with the actual Model S release.
"Model S is Tesla’s zero-emission, five-passenger luxury sedan powered by a lithium-ion battery pack. It is expected to have a base price of about $60,000 and get about 240 miles per charge with exceptional performance. The first sedans will likely roll off the assembly line in late 2010. " Tesla Motors - Press Releases

Here's to hoping Tesla has figured this stuff out this time around. I will be putting down my $1000, and I am hoping to not be disappointed again.

Last edited:
Free or not, the end price is likely close enough to the Bolt that there is tremendous value in the network in favor of the Model 3.

As for the Supercharger building program, Tesla is still committed to building out quite a few, the current pause not withstanding. Why do you think Tesla cannot keep up with demand?

I didn't say they coudln't.. Just based on what I've seen in Bjorns videos, and videos from other Tesla owners in Europe. Sometimes they get to superchargers and their is one or two stalls available. I can't imagine this getting better with the far lower cost Model 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said, I'll be putting down a deposit regardless since its only $1,000, but I have my doubts about the pricing and the time frame.

We still have about two years before we start seeing Model 3's being pumped out, so that ought to be ample time for Tesla to expand their SC network. And as others have said before, at that point, the number of Model S/X owners will still be greater than Model 3 owners for some time even after Model 3s start being delivered.

That being said, I would think that Tesla is more focused on extending the coverage of the SC network. Once coverage is available across the country (and other countries), then they can focus on density issues.

The first phase of the Gigafactory is expected to produce about 7 GWh, or about 100,000 vehicles. That basically doubles Tesla's output. But it only doubles Tesla's output. As it stands right now, plenty of Superchargers are empty most of the time and rarely if ever are full. There are some specific congestion spots and Tesla has enough operational detail and experience to help mitigate that, so while sometimes there will still be congestion, I don't see this as a huge challenge. Tesla is spending $75-90 million this year on Supercharging and likely doing even more next year. Another 75-90 Superchargers in the U.S. this year, another 100 next year would mean more than 400 Superchargers in the U.S. as well as some very big ones by the time the Model 3 ships. The biggest issue is still L2 charging at hotels and charging for those that don't have a garage or a regular parking spot. But that is something completely separate and the rise in popularity of all BEVs would help raise awareness to help solve such charging issues.

The number 1 reason for people not buying an electric car is range, ...

And the number 2 reason is "charging away from home". This is a combination of "Is it charging available where I need it to be?" and "It takes to long time to charge an EV!".

My cousin purchased his 60KW Model S in September and has been to a supercharger TWICE since, and the one time was just to check it out.

You don't really pay for the electrons at the supercharger, you pay to have a vast network of fast charging stations available when you need it. My normal driving habits will - with a 200+ EPA miles EV - not make me use any charger "away from home". So, buying a Tesla with supercharger access gives me the security that IF I want to make a longer trip, I will have access to a easy to use really fast charging network almost everywhere I can think I will ever want to drive in Europe. That the it is "free" is a plus, but not essential. If I should buy a Bolt (Opel Ampera-e here) I would have to be prepared that I would need to rent an ICE car if I wanted to go for a longer trip. Or at least dig up informations about the different national charging networks in the different countries I would drive through/to and order the necessary charging cards at least a month in advance - if available at all without a cellphone registered in that country. And of course check out that it is at all any charging station where I need it to be. Or just don't go on that trip at all.

Do we know for certain if supercharger access will be free? I find it hard to imagine it would be at the low base price they're quoting for the Model 3.
In my opinion the base Model 3 will certainly not include free Supercharging. The hardware will be in the car but the ability to charge from a Supercharger will only be enabled by paying for that option, which likely will be around $2,000.
A base Model 3 with the Supercharger option will be close in price to a base Bolt which will not have a vast high speed DC charging network available to it.