Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will Model 3 do to Chevy Bolt sales?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone above was skeptical that Fit buyers would be Tesla buyers. At least in my case the commonality is environmentalism and practicality: EV/PV if I can, or an efficient small car or hybrid otherwise. Our other car is a Toyota Prius (v)agon
All the same here, in some states there is ecological parity:

Is Driving a Tesla Better for the Environment? It Depends... [INFOGRAPHIC] - ValueWalk

but other car a BMW 3 series, only driven with 2 or more on journey. The Fit failed to attract multiple riders. BMW solved that. Hope Model 3 is the same.

Reactions: SageBrush
When the Model 3 comes out, there won't BE any Bolt sales!

If they lower the price to $22,631 (Honda HRV price), they can sell a few. There might be some corporate purchases...

The different market point is starting to be understood, here.

It is Honda HRV vs BMW 3-series.

Each sells less than 100K per year in the US.

I think the GM guys were told to design a taxi that parked well in the city. Aero is secondary if you never drive over 45 mph.

Different market - I finally get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The different market point is starting to be understood, here.

It is Honda HRV vs BMW 3-series.

Each sells less than 100K per year in the US.

I think the GM guys were told to design a taxi that parked well in the city. Aero is secondary if you never drive over 45 mph.

Different market - I finally get it.

In the ICE market there are so many different models - you can logically see different market segments, that don't overlap all that much. But, since there are so few EVs (>200 miles range) all of them will be competing with each other until the market matures. In other words, there is a large overlap in the different segments - even though the target market i.e. market the vehicle is designed for may be different from the actual take. For eg. one of the largest replacements of S is Honda Odyssey. Fairly sure, not the "target segment".

Personally I'm debating among the following before I can get a 3
- Leaf '16 now
- Bolt '17 in Dec/Jan
- Leaf '17 in Q1/Q2 '17
- Model S CPO
- BMW i3
- MB EV

Also, for my wife
- Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
- Outlander PHEV

As you can appreciate, in the ICE world a lot of the above vehicles would be in different segments. But even there, people cross shop between segments.