Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will MX be cross shopped against?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, and more like $30k after tax if fully loaded. The XC90 also has a ton of active
safety features, unlimited range, roof rack, and more comfortable seating in all three rows. We're on the fence between the two to replace our XC90.

The XC90 T8 is the first ever SUV designed from ground up with batteries in mind, very important to note that motors are on axles and batteries rest in the center floor tunnel making it a road hugger, unlike the afterthoughts in the competition (Model X excluded) where they try to place battery packs to recreate the ICE weight distribution, the e-Golf (thought not an SUV) probably the lamest example of a typical 2015 compliance car. Volkswagen e-Golf Production Wolfsburg plant - YouTube

XC90 T8 0-60=5.9s and has almost 60MPGe economy. In 2017 100 swedes will be testing autonomously, rumours are 2018 will bring autonomous driving ones to the US: Autonomous drive XC90 2015. - YouTube

I am waiting for this one although I may be wearing incontinence diapers by then:) TI is Driving the Future of Automotive Technology - YouTube

Last edited:
I'm cross shopping it against Tesla Model S, Tesla Model E, Ford Mustang GT, and Chevrolet Volt (Volt would have been out of the running, but with all the improvements in the 2016 model, it's back in the race). Although it's quiet likely the Model X will win out, as it's what my wife favors, and I have a soft spot for gull wing (and in this case falcon wing) doors.

Requirements:
4+ seats
fits kid car seats in the back
3+ star safety rating
Makes me smile
I can actually afford it in the first place

Highly Desired:
Cool technology
Fast
Advances electrification of the automobile
Cool looking
4+ star safety rating
Less than $70K

Desired:
Manual transmission
Good cargo space
5+ star safety rating
Good stereo / audio
Memory power seats
Machined aluminum finish on the wheels (Dagnabit start making these again! Enough with the chrome and painted wheels!)
Less than $50K

Bonus Points:
Gull wing doors
Good rear seat head and foot room
Heated steering wheel

Last edited:
Too bad they didn't design it with a battery that gives it more than 17 miles EPA on electric. :crying:

I waited years for the XC90 T8. The T6 that I saw at the auto show was nice...but the T8's mileage on battery killed it for me.
The price is what killed it for me. I thought perhaps it would be a lower priced alternative to a Tesla, but at a base price of nearly $70,000 and over $80,000 fully loaded, it's firmly in Tesla territory and all the trade offs aren't worth it.

The price is what killed it for me. I thought perhaps it would be a lower priced alternative to a Tesla, but at a base price of nearly $70,000 and over $80,000 fully loaded, it's firmly in Tesla territory and all the trade offs aren't worth it.
Exactly! I was on the Swede Speed forums for years. In their "cross-shopping" threads, I mentioned that I was considering the XC90 and a Tesla. Of course no one could understand why I was considering a 7 passenger SUV and a "sedan". I pointed out many times that the Tesla isn't a sedan and that I didn't need a 7 passenger SUV. I wanted the ability to drive on electricity in an AWD vehicle. While there are a few plug-in hybrid with AWD coming out, they mostly get less than 20 miles on electricity.

Time and time again, I would explain my choices and once the price of the T8 was announced, it just didn't make sense anymore. With $13500 in tax credits available in Colorado, the price of a new Tesla 70D could effectively be cheaper than the T8. After explaining to everyone else why I was considering a Tesla, I finally convinced myself and I haven't been back to Swede Speed since the 70D was announced. While I still haven't purchased yet, I have reserved the Model X. I will probably end up moving my deposit over to a 70D or another S variant in the coming months unless the X is totally mind-blowing. Right now, I'm planning on purchasing around September. I'm hoping there will be some 70D or 85D inventory models available once the X is announced...or the possibility that there will be a 100D model. :D

If the 2019/2020 X doesn't have decent cupholders/junk storage or acceptable cargo room with the 3rd and 2nd row seats down then we'll be going back for another Highlander Hybrid. X will have to be amazing to justify double the cost.