Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will separate S from 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks with same attitude as newtman, you are dreaming if you think Tesla would limit the range of the Model 3 merely to satisfy Model S owners. Tesla has and will have EV competition with possibly the single most important feature being range. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
I foresee incrementally higher ranges coming for all EVs, does anyone think that the technology has already reached it's peak?

Reactions: newtman
I think the S will always continue to evolve. Though the Model 3 will be more widespread, I still will still think of the S as Tesla's signature luxury vehicle. Some new Tesla owners (like myself) may be so impressed with the 3 that they could step up to an S in the future if finances allow. If T can pull of a steady production of the 3, then I think the monster feeds itself.

Reactions: newtman
IMHO I think the S will be phased out once the 3 hits full stride production.

Yes. This should be seem fairly obvious to everyone except for model S owners. The first stage of grief is denial.

The S II will probably be a new car on the model X platform. But Tesla's capacity to engineer this car in the next five years is questionable. Tesla has to develop for the model 3 first. I doubt they can afford to do "trickle down", where major new features go into the S/X first.

I still will still think of the S as Tesla's signature luxury vehicle.
Like the roadster? The model S platform was not even good enough for the model X.

I was thinking smaller wheelbase as well. For example, 2-series is around 106". 3-series is a little longer at 110".

I'm repeating myself. but the model 2 will be the car we thought we were going to get in the model 3.

The Model X is built on the current Model S platform.

Nope. Straubel gave the stat on the number of parts shared between the vehicles. They built a new skateboard, and the car primarily share dash components.

I foresee incrementally higher ranges coming for all EVs, does anyone think that the technology has already reached it's peak?
I agree with you. I wonder how much of the advancement over the next year is already baked into the 215 mile range that Elon is providing. I'm hoping for a 300 mile range upgrade or even more if becomes possible.

I'm repeating myself. but the model 2 will be the car we thought we were going to get in the Model 3
What Model 2? Can you elaborate? My understanding is that there is a relatively new trend with this segment and Tesla would logically join in on it. That is before they'd make a truck or another SUV or "crossover". Another segment with similar size is the "hothatch" which is extremely popular worldwide, but not so much in the U.S.

I agree with you. I wonder how much of the advancement over the next year is already baked into the 215 mile range that Elon is providing. I'm hoping for a 300 mile range upgrade or even more if becomes possible.

I'm guessing the bigger Model 3 battery will be ~270 miles EPA and the S/X will have 100kwh batteries in 2017.

It will be very interesting to see if Nissan has developed their next EV to have battery options.

What Model 2? Can you elaborate? My understanding is that there is a relatively new trend with this segment and Tesla would logically join in on it. That is before they'd make a truck or another SUV or "crossover". Another segment with similar size is the "hothatch" which is extremely popular worldwide, but not so much in the U.S.

I do hope that Tesla plans on a 5 door model 3 variant before the model Y. I say "hope" because we saw with the model X how Musk ambition can lead to strategic blunders. The extra year spent getting a fancy model X out the door is time and money that Tesla can never get back.

It is fun to speculate on only the vehicles that could build on the model 3 skateboard, but Tesla has yet to prove that they can do significant parallel development.

The obvious move after 2020 is to build a model 2. A true subcompact which will be completely economically competitive with subcompact ICE. The model 2 probably requires both lower cost and higher density batteries than what is available today.

I do hope that Tesla plans on a 5 door model 3 variant before the model Y. I say "hope" because we saw with the model X how Musk ambition can lead to strategic blunders. The extra year spent getting a fancy model X out the door is time and money that Tesla can never get back.

It is fun to speculate on only the vehicles that could build on the model 3 skateboard, but Tesla has yet to prove that they can do significant parallel development.

The obvious move after 2020 is to build a model 2. A true subcompact which will be completely economically competitive with subcompact ICE. The model 2 probably requires both lower cost and higher density batteries than what is available today.
I thought they said something about a truck next? The instant torque makes it very applicable in my opinion, but the extensive amount of batteries could hold it back.

Personally, I'd love a subcompact tesla.

I thought they said something about a truck next? The instant torque makes it very applicable in my opinion, but the extensive amount of batteries could hold it back.

It seems to me that midsize truck buyers live in the wrong places worldwide to be early Tesla adopters. I guarantee that the 370K Model 3 reservation holders reflect current Tesla owners: Highly educated, higher income and urban.

I had a Toyota pickup once as a second car and loved it But I was the only person in my larger peer group who would even consider such a vehicle.

I do think that EV truck makes a lot of sense for business when the user has well defined daily miles. The model 3 skateboard may be small for that purpose.

What Model 2? Can you elaborate?

Elon mentioned a cheaper car here:

Watch from ~12:30, "Model 3 is designed such that roughly 50% of the people can afford the car, with the 4'th generation and smaller cars we'll ultimately be in the position where everybody will be able to afford the car". A lot of people assume that a smaller car means a Golf/Bolt type of car since such a small sedan (165 inches, 4.25 m) will not be a practical car.

• Informative
Reactions: zenmaster

in the talk he had in Norway last month, he hints at a less expensive model than the Model 3 that would be within everyone's budget (I am assuming the Fiesta, Yaris, Fit, Accent, Rio price range). The topic of the Model 3's and the future 4th generation's affordability comes up at about 12-13 minutes. I would expect this and the future Roadster would be developed before a truck.

ETA - what @Laban beat me to saying ;)

IMHO I think the S will be phased out once the 3 hits full stride production.
Agreed... Or at least the S will lose a far greater share. I and several Tesla owners have discussed buying a model three versus a model S all of us plan to buy a model three. I personally think it looks better with sharper lines and that awesome Glass windshield plus it will be much lighter and therefore have better range given the same battery size. I just don't see why I would buy a model S base price that is double the price of the model three when they are very comparable currently. Amenities only in the model S will either have to go way up without the price changing significantly or the price will have to come down to not lose market share to the model three. I believe the company doesn't care if it loses that marketshare they expect it.

Last edited:
@melindav : great minds think alike :)

I agree about the size/price of the smaller car (Fiesta..). The four most sold cars in Europe 2015 are the VW Golf/Polo, Ford Fiesta and Renault Clio, they sell 760k of these combined/year. All Bolt size cars. So i'm expecting something like those cars and with a ~20k price. And a better looking car then the Bolt, f.e like the Renault Clio:

renault-clio-iv-rs-220-edc-trophy-94370.jpg