Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will Tesla do, when FSD has serious accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does making FSD better actually make it safer?
What makes it safe is the performance of the safety driver. Tesla will continue to improve the performance of the driver monitoring.

the question assumed the safety driver was not paying attention.

And yes, the less stupid stuff FSD does on its own, the safer it is. Because safety drivers are human and not infallible.

I also include the driver monitoring as part of the FSD software.

the question assumed the safety driver was not paying attention.

And yes, the less stupid stuff FSD does on its own, the safer it is. Because safety drivers are human and not infallible.

I also include the driver monitoring as part of the FSD software.
The problem is that the vigilance of the safety driver may be correlated with how many errors the system makes. Will humans really be paying as much attention when the system can drive 10,000 miles without a failure?

Perhaps another question...
How many here would (one day) buy a car without controls?

The answer is obviously EVERYONE when you qualify it with "(one day)". Autonomous driving is a progression going from 0% to 100%, and on that spectrum, "it" will get easier as the percentage gets higher - "it" meaning adoptions, algorithms, accident reduction, etc. We're at the 0% starting line. When you do get to that 100%, everyone will be required to buy such a vehicle by law. I know it sounds draconian by today's public perception, but time changes everything.

Both hands on wheel, look forward scanning the road, there should never be any other type of autopilot unless creeping in a traffic jam.
Twice I saved my bacon, both times at night approaching hilltops on interstates, AP wanted to suddenly swerve over the edge marker.

Very sad thread, but it does go through how Tesla in the lawsuit made comments. Most of the comments from Tesla are regarding time frame in which driver was holding hands on the wheel up to the crash. The portrayal should be a reminder that every time one gets in any car not just Tesla there is data. Cell phones, black boxes. Data, data data, for everyone to evaluate.

Now Tesla will have video to show attention or lack there of for most FSD beta participants.

I don't think Tesla makes comments on pending litigation, and in this case one is speculating on something that hasn't happened yet. Maybe if something really headline grabbing you would see the leaks regarding some of the data before lawsuits...

Speculation is a strange game. Very often wrong.

Serious accident with FSD will happen, when FSD makes catastrophic mistake and driver does not correct it fast enough. For serious accident with FSD not to happen either FSD should never make catastrophic mistakes or FSD users should be perfect. We know that neither of those presumptions are true.

FSD will now be distributed to 100k cars. Serious accident will happen sooner or later.

What will Tesla do, when that happens?
Every single aspect is recorded. They can publically say what happened, and what will be done to prevent it. Let’s see a person or legacy car company do that or even have the ability to do that.

When someone flys across a median causing a head on collision, there’s no accountability if everyone dies. No “here’s what happened, here’s how we are going to make it safer in the future” just a bunch of MADD soccer moms holding signs and making a fuss at town hall, and auto makers giving “thoughts and prayers.”

This is a "Chicken Little conjecture "the sky is falling". The odds of this happening is far less than a crash caused by driver neglect without FSD.
Yes, but "a crash covered by driver neglect" is not covered by 3,000 news outlets.
How many reports have you heard about car fires in general?? In 2020, there were around 173,000 highway vehicle fires reported in the United States.

How many reports have you heard about Tesla car fires?
A quick look reveals a total of 60 fire-related Tesla incidents from 2013 through 2021. That's a range of 8 years. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) found that in 2018, a total of 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deaths in the US.

1654546488367.png

And which ones do you hear about on the news?

FIRST FSD death will be a pedestrian and it will be a hey day for the news media.

How many reports have you heard about Tesla car fires?

I appreciate your position, but what you have failed to consider is what constitutes news.

If there were 173,000 vehicle files in 2020, that comes to 470+ / day, and while dreadful, something that happens 470+ / day is simply not news.

Now then, 60 Tesla files over 8-years is 7.5 / year. Considering there is no fuel in these cars, that is definitely news! And frankly it needs to be covered as front page. Unfortunately, the ship has pretty much sailed on preventing the numerous fires in ICE cars, but we can still do something about fires in EVs.

I appreciate your position, but what you have failed to consider is what constitutes news.

If there were 173,000 vehicle files in 2020, that comes to 470+ / day, and while dreadful, something that happens 470+ / day is simply not news.

Now then, 60 Tesla files over 8-years is 7.5 / year. Considering there is no fuel in these cars, that is definitely news! And frankly it needs to be covered as front page. Unfortunately, the ship has pretty much sailed on preventing the numerous fires in ICE cars, but we can still do something about fires in EVs.
Yah. Ask a Chevy Bolt owner.

1654556211955.png

Product liability lawyers might disagree with this.
They can disagree with it all they like. But at the end of the day, the operator behind the wheel is legally responsible for everything the vehicle does.

I don’t know anyone who would waste time on a case suggesting otherwise. But I guess ambulance chasers exist for a reason too.