Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will the actual range be when released?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d love to see those figures be with x-amount of towing considered, and for us all to be genuinely shocked when the reality hits us in the face.

Not likely, but one can hope and dream!

Since the announcement, I have strongly suspected the + means more than we can imagine. Given Elon’s own statements about Battery Day, and the impact it will have, there’s something positive hiding out there.

I’d love to see those figures be with x-amount of towing considered, and for us all to be genuinely shocked when the reality hits us in the face.

Not likely, but one can hope and dream!

Since the announcement, I have strongly suspected the + means more than we can imagine. Given Elon’s own statements about Battery Day, and the impact it will have, there’s something positive hiding out there.
Towing capacity won’t have as much percentage effect on range as other Teslas, because it has the most drag & most weight
Model X loses half its range when towing a heavy caravan. I reckon CT will lose 30% for the same - so 350 miles on tri motor
They have to redesign supercharging bays to allow for towing

Towing capacity won’t have as much percentage effect on range as other Teslas, because it has the most drag & most weight
Model X loses half its range when towing a heavy caravan. I reckon CT will lose 30% for the same - so 350 miles on tri motor
They have to redesign supercharging bays to allow for towing
I’ve seen at least one supercharger you pull into forward vs reverse. It’s perfectly located on the way to my cabin. Will work great once I’m driving my CT.

The likely range of the Cybertruck will be below. The reason why is due to the superior intelligence of Tesla's engineers. Tesla's newest battery pack is expected to be announced in the Sept battery day. In 6 months engineers will optimize the packs to be supper efficient. Pair that with the 200 kWh packs and you have a monster of a car. Don't get me started with the roadster's official range.

Single - 300 Miles
Duel-Motor - 500 Miles
Tri-Motor - 800 Miles

A better route planner has their guestimate at 485wh/mile at 65mph, which is close to mine which was based on what the model x consumes then recalculated for the different CdA.
That would give an approximate 120kwh for the rwd,
145kwh for the dual motor and 242 for the tri.

The pack sizes would probably be 120, 150, 250kwh respectively.

As far as range while towing it will depend entirely on what you are towing. Because the range is largely based on being decently aerodynamc towing a large non-aerodynamic box of a trailer could see the range drop to less than half.

When TFL truck did their model x test (worst case scenario a 5000lb empty box of a trailer) their average was north of 1kw per mile. It wouldn't be hard to imagine the Cybertruck exceeding that.

Reactions: Phlier
I was thinking more like
150 for short range
200 for mid range
And 250 for long range
Anything less than 250 means we will be supercharging a lot when towing - given Texas speed and temperatures.

A better route planner has their guestimate at 485wh/mile at 65mph, which is close to mine which was based on what the model x consumes then recalculated for the different CdA.
That would give an approximate 120kwh for the rwd,
145kwh for the dual motor and 242 for the tri.

The pack sizes would probably be 120, 150, 250kwh respectively.

As far as range while towing it will depend entirely on what you are towing. Because the range is largely based on being decently aerodynamc towing a large non-aerodynamic box of a trailer could see the range drop to less than half.

When TFL truck did their model x test (worst case scenario a 5000lb empty box of a trailer) their average was north of 1kw per mile. It wouldn't be hard to imagine the Cybertruck exceeding that.

You guys are thinking more about realistic range driving fast and doing useful work. You guys forget (or might not know) that Tesla's EPA rated range is a bit optimistic and quoted for a slower speed. Look at how the range changed on Raven Model S and X (pretty dramatically) with the same battery size as before (Model S went from 322 to 402 miles). Can also be seen with Model 3 going from 240 miles on SR+ and 310 miles LR to 250 and 322. These were with no capacity increase in the battery, but I see posts complaining of range degradation all the time or people getting less miles than rated because they aren't driving under ideal conditions. So Tesla increases efficiency over time by reducing weight, improving software algorithms, and reducing friction. However, don't expect Cybertruck range to be with towing. I also don't expect the battery to be over 200 kWh, but only time will tell.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
Just based on the rough math pulling my 22’ 6800lb camper 5k-10k miles a summer with my LX, very similar size and cd. I see ~1200-1400 Wh/mi INCREASE in energy usage running 55-60 mph. If I increase to 65-70 mph then it’s a 1800-2000 Wh/mi increase. I get 17 mpg doing the same drive not towing that I get 8-9 mpg towing.

again all rough estimates but I am betting pulling my ORV 22BHS (6800 lbs) with the CT I’d see 1600-2k+ Wh/mi.

Reactions: Silver Ghost
I'm hoping for 600 miles.

What people don't realize is the last 5-10% is not utilized and hardly anyone charges to 100%. Also, most drive faster than the speed limit. With a larger battery and range you can charge to more range faster.

So I think with 600 range, you can charge from 60 miles to 480 miles in 30 min. To get this same range from a 30 min charge would take 1.5 hours in a Model 3.