Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will this cost to fix my broken steering wheel scroll button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I'm out of warranty and was wondering if anyone has had this fixed
3E21EC59-7E5B-4E53-9E25-73DCFBF550F6.jpeg
out of warranty? Just broke last night under normal use.

Turns out the part is $200 and the labor is $70 ... seems pricey but at least a mobile tech will come out to replace it while I’m at work so that certainly makes it less of a hassle for me.

Did you get yours fixed? I had the same thing happen on my S. Not sure what caused it.
I'm still under warranty but been a month and Tesla Service said part is not available. Still waiting. Hope they find the part and cover it.

Did you get yours fixed? I had the same thing happen on my S. Not sure what caused it.
I'm still under warranty but been a month and Tesla Service said part is not available. Still waiting. Hope they find the part and cover it.
Mobile tech fixed it for free, I’m out of warranty and he used a saved part from an airbag recall replacement. You don’t need the whole assembly just the scroll wheel. He did the whole thing in about 15 minutes. Way more awesome than shelling out $270 to replace other parts that aren’t broken

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch
I had the same issue. I sawed the plastic ending on where the axis was broken and used a steel hex driver near the same dimensions and sawed it for perfect fit in the rotary sensor. Then drilled the wheel on the broken axis and inserted the cutter metal hex part into it and secured it with super glue. It’s now stronger than factory original. See pictures for clarity
IMG_2282.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    716.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2286.jpeg
    IMG_2286.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Splat and araxara
I had the same issue. I sawed the plastic ending on where the axis was broken and used a steel hex driver near the same dimensions and sawed it for perfect fit in the rotary sensor. Then drilled the wheel on the broken axis and inserted the cutter metal hex part into it and secured it with super glue. It’s now stronger than factory original. See pictures for clarity View attachment 956578
Hello. Can you tell me the size of the hex driver? Thank you