TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What will Top Gear think of Roadster improvements?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by vfx, Jul 29, 2012.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Kevin shoots high!

Top Gear would still be haters.

2. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

IMO that's everyone who works for Tesla in Europe!

3. Kevin Sharpe

Just make this a marketing expense... the value to Tesla is almost unimaginable :smile:

4. Kevin Sharpe

Like many on this forum, I like sports cars! If Tesla won't deliver the car I want then I'll have to look elsewhere (or have one built) :smile:

I'd considered it a success if Top Gear hated the 'enhanced' Roadster... sooner or later they will be forced to recognise that electric has arrived... I see that at every car show I attend... energy cost and 0-60 times resonate strongly with 'mainstream' car buyers here.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Disagree and agree.

Top Gear loved on the Roadster for first 1/2 of the segment and hated on it for the second half.

In conversion about the Roadster, 90% of people who bring up that show with me say the car fared poorly. I would not imagine much different conclusion and result next time.

%100 percent agree (I'm sure all here do). I just think it's just gonna be 12 EVs and/or 5 supercar EV's to get them to slowly begrudge that EVs have arrived.
    EVs are TG classic whipping boys and if the original Roadster did not change them it will take a few more stellar cars for proof-of-(EV)-concept.

6. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

KS - you've used the "mainstream" word several times to describe what Roadster buyers want in your neck of the woods. What is mainstream about buying a sports car? It's a tiny part of the car market everywhere and I'd venture to guess that there's nothing mainstream about owning a $100K, two seater. Because it's an interest of yours and your crowd doesn't make it mainstream. I really enjoy toodling around in my Roadster, but I consider that a pretty limited application for a car for most folks.

7. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Member

rsquared99: Owning a $100K, two seat sports car is becoming more mainstream than it used to be - see Corvette Z06 Carbon and ZR1. But to your point, EV's will become mainstream (regardless of whether they are sports cars or sedans) when there is a charging infrastructure that allows one to drive wherever they want, how ever long they want, charge up in a reasonable amount of time and are competitively priced compared to ICE cars - taking into account cost/mile. I also agree with you that for most mainstream consumers, the Roadster is a limited application. But what percentage of 2 seat sport car owners only own one car? Hopefully, Tesla will be able to market a more affordable EV family sedan with the Model S range in the very near future - that will then become mainstream with the proper charging infrastructure..