TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What will Ultra High Fidelity Sound cost on Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Brad_NC, Apr 22, 2016.

?

S&X Ultra High Fidelity Sound: $2,500. What will it cost on Model 3?

1. Less than $500

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. $500-999

10 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. $1,000-1,499

28 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. $1,500-1,999

57 vote(s)
    46.0%
  5. $2,000-2,499

18 vote(s)
    14.5%
  6. $2,500-2,999

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. $3,000 or more

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

I am creating a series of polls regarding what we (collectively) think certain features will cost on the Model 3.

This is a forum, so please feel free to add comments, but for the sake of data collection, please do vote on the polls!

I will provide the Model S and Model X price points for each of those features, in USD.

Yes, the Model S and Model X have a few more features than I’ll be making polls for, but some of those features are just not needed to be polled on.

2. Cesg12290

Cesg12290 New Member

Does anyone currently have this feature in their S/X model? If so, could you detail how it sounds in comparison to the new Mercedes Benz 3D surround? Thank you! =D

3. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

How does ultra high fidelity sound systems even work? I am still someone who uses CD's because I cannot stand the loss in fidelity with the compressed audio formats. Satellite radio also does not sound very good to me. I miss the days when cars used to have huge multi-CD changers built into the dash.

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Doin' it poll to poll! #safteydance

5. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Use a USB stick or drive filled with FLAC files for original CD quality at half the file size.

Playing Music from a USB Drive in the Tesla Model S

• Informative x 1
  6. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

Do Teslas even come with a CD player? I am not technologically saavy so I have no clue what you are talking about.

7. hoang51

hoang51 Member

The YouTube video above states no CD player. Time for you to switch over from CD medium to USB flash drive to hold your music.

8. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

No CD player.

Tesla does supports playing music files that are stored on a USB drive (or thumbstick). It supports many audio file formats such as MP3, MP4, AAC, etc. I mentioned FLAC specifically because it's a CD quality format.

9. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

$100k+ and no CD player? I assume also no DVD or other high definition audio format?

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. hoang51

hoang51 Member

FLAC + USB is what you need to learn. FLAC is a high definition audio format. CD quality sound via FLAC files, my experience

• Like x 2
  11. UKM3

UKM3 Member

Tesla should not waste time adding any CD system. physical audio mediums died a long time ago.

USB connection for high def is already provided, and even high bit rate Spotify streaming is built in too.

Tesla represents the future. Not the past.

• Like x 1
  12. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

Pretty disappointing that Tesla's don't have a CD player. Would be nice if they came with hard drives, say, 64 GB built in for music storage. Or an SD slot or something. A USB sticking out looks kind of dumb.

13. ProtomanX

ProtomanX Member

There's always bluetooth to sync with your phone. Might be just me but I haven't listen my music on a CD for decades

• Like x 3
  14. Colsla

Colsla Member

If I am not mistaken, cars that cost half of Model 3 comes with standard Bluetooth and USB port.. I dont believe Tesla will go out of their way to add it to the car when better tech can do the same job at a similar price (the same tech is offered on S and X so economies of scale will apply to in-car info system in some way)

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

The real question is not how much the ultra high fidelity sound option will cost, but is if it will actually be a better sound system for all that $$. My reading of the Model S forums indicates it's a pretty mediocre system compared to what other manufacturers/aftermarket folks are doing, especially for $2500.

I just hope you don't have to buy it to get XM radio capability like you do in the S.

16. McRat

McRat Active Member

Many cars today, even cheap ones, support USB sticks and CarPlay and Android Auto.

You want 100,000 song library with the ability to create playlists and select music by voice request? It's been here awhile.

CD players are dropping faster than Kim Kardashian's panties near a camera.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

you can do that with an iPhone (siri) over bluetooth using Tesla's voice commands without CarPlay (not sure how Android works thru BT, but expect similarly).

ETA - should say using siri's voice commands, Tesla's mic...

18. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

CD just 16bit 44khz . "Proper" MP3 encoding (done by you) gets it to where you can't tell the difference.

If Tesla plays FLAC, 24bit 96khz Studio Masters blow CD away.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

Right, but I would like to avoid having to turn my bluetooth on my phone on and off and then finding my music and playing it when I get in the car.

20. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

I tried bluetooth audio in my parents' car, a VW Tiguan they bought last year, and was not at all impressed with the sound quality. Their car supports audio files on a data CD so I a CD with the same music and it sounded just fine.

I understand there's been some improvements to bluetooth audio, perhaps the Tiguan was using an older spec.