Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will Ultra High Fidelity Sound cost on Model 3?

S&X Ultra High Fidelity Sound: $2,500. What will it cost on Model 3?

• Less than $500

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $500-999

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • $1,000-1,499

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • $1,500-1,999

Votes: 57 46.0%
  • $2,000-2,499

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • $2,500-2,999

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • $3,000 or more

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a safe assumption. Someone asked Elon on Twitter if the Dual Motor option would be the same $5,000 that it is on S/X, and his reply was a simple and succint "Less".

How much less? We won't know until Reveal 2.

But the dual motor costs more on the X than the S, so it would make sense that it would cost less on the 3 than the S. If you look at the facts I posted you could see that.

Autopilot is the same price regardless. As is upgraded paint, upgraded seats, subzero weather package, etc. Maybe Tesla can offer them for less on the 3 because of buying parts in larger quantities, but in that case the cost for those options on the S and X may also decrease down towards the level of the 3, making them the same price again.

The only things priced differently between the S and X are battery size upgrades, dual motor upgrade, performance package and premium upgrade package (and the wheels, but they aren't the same size on the S and X and therefore not exactly comparable).

I thought they said it would be cheaper because the 3 would be cheaper?

For some options it make sense to price based on size. (and the size differences between S and X isn't that much)
For some options it make sense to price based on the price of the car this options are for. (and the price differences between S and X isn't that much)
For some options it does not make sense to care about any of the above.

That's why I'm guessing that the options for the Gen-III cars (3+Y) will be in the range of about 50%-100% of the prices on the Gen-II cars (S+X). Yes, an average of about 75% seems right to me.

And why is the 3 cheaper? Because of a smaller battery? Because of using steel instead of aluminum? Because of being a smaller vehicle in general? Because supercharging won't be included in the base price? Among other things.

Saying "options will be cheaper because the car will be cheaper" is like saying "the sky is blue because it's blue".

But the dual motor costs more on the X than the S, so it would make sense that it would cost less on the 3 than the S. If you look at the facts I posted you could see that.

Autopilot is the same price regardless. As is upgraded paint, upgraded seats, subzero weather package, etc. Maybe Tesla can offer them for less on the 3 because of buying parts in larger quantities, but in that case the cost for those options on the S and X may also decrease down towards the level of the 3, making them the same price again.

The only things priced differently between the S and X are battery size upgrades, dual motor upgrade, performance package and premium upgrade package (and the wheels, but they aren't the same size on the S and X and therefore not exactly comparable).
Huh? There is no RWD X, so therefore no yardstick to measure how much the AWD upgrade costs. And the performance upgrade is $20k on both.

Since we're being snippy back and forth...

how do you KNOW AP will be the same price? Model 3 is likely in line to receive APv2.0. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if they brought the improved technology to market at a similar or lower price than APv1.0

Are you comparing S prices to X prices? I thought this exercise was to figure out the price of UHFS in the Model 3. Seems like we're a little off track here.

Are you saying it will cost more?

Because it may cost more than current prices, but it will likely be the same/similarly priced to that of the S and X.

Similarly, it likely won't cost less for the same reasons.

Yup. I I compared the prices if the S and X upgrades to at least FACTUALLY determine a baseline of what might be realistic for the 3.

If others were actually using reason and logic in their price-point determinations I wouldn't have even bothered commenting.

The autopilot, since the HW doesn't change it's just a matter of commercial decision, so it could cost more, less or equals.
I would say equals since this is an amministrative price meant to pay the programmers behind the scene and of course the computers doing the simulations, legal cause etc
It could of course be lower, since there is more car sold, and of course this could be lowered for the S and the X, and in the end it could means more people would get it, and thus more data, more testing and in the end, maybe more money
But it could cost more, since it will be a better software and maybe ( maybe.. ) people will think it will be well worth the price.

Overall i would think it will stand in the middle, so same cost unless they wanto to lower it for everyone

I would say equals since this is an amministrative price meant to pay the programmers behind the scene and of course the computers doing the simulations, legal cause etc
It could of course be lower, since there is more car sold,
Yes, it is reasonable to think that the price of the hardware pr car will be lower the more cars that is (expected to be) produced. And the price to develop the software is more or less the same total if it is used in 10k cars or 1m cars. So going from 50k cars/year to 500k cars/year makes it reasonable to believe the cost for each car for Tesla will get quite a bit lower.

So what is missing here to determine the price to their customers? Margins. As mentioned above the Model 3 is aimed at a lower price point, and that Tesla therefor should have calculated a lower margin both on the car and on the options they sell with the car. So we end up with that Tesla will have a lower cost for the option for each car and a lower margin on the option for each car = a lower price for the option to the customer of the Model 3. They may let the price for the option on the TMS/X be untouched as they know their customers of this cars are willing to pay this price and Tesla may just get more margins on this option for this cars, but the option price for the Model 3 should be quite a bit lower.

The above true for both AP and an extended sound package (and other packages), but maybe in different degrees.

the sound package isn't only software as it is the autpilot ( wich is pure software ), but it's the opposite.. only HW, and as it is.. it will be probably the same HW of the S/X so i would say that the price could be same since the only differenct between S/X/3 will be the connection cable and it is a relly minor thing.
Overall i see no reason to lower it, it's an optional, and as it is.. is a trivial optional, is just that you want a better audio, wich isn't at all crucial since the standard audio seems good enought, so why reduce the margin?

the sound package isn't only software as it is the autpilot ( wich is pure software ), but it's the opposite.. only HW
Both AP and the sound package is a combination of HW and SW. But to varying degree. Yes, the AP HW is put into the car whenever you order it or not, and the same is not (necessarily) true for the SP. But when determining the price for the AP option I'm sure that they include the HW cost anyway. So I'm sure this is still true:

The above true for both AP and an extended sound package (and other packages), but maybe in different degrees.

OK....again......

The Model 3 is likely getting Autopilot 2.0, which we've heard COUNTLESS times will have new hardware, so everything you think you "know" about what it's going to cost.....

you're wrong. Show me a picture of your Tesla employee badge, or prove to me that you're Elon, otherwise...you don't know.

Batteries, you can probably throw out your "WAGs" on those too, since you know...there's a whole new factory turning them out now, at a different per unit cost than we've seen in the past, in an entirely new iteration.

The sound system....again....we know almost nothing about. Maybe they partner with a brand name this time such as Bang and Olufsen or Bose (Audi) or Bang and Olufsen and Burmester (Mercedes). Maybe they maintain status quo and do their own thing.

We (yes, including you...and you...and you....and unless you work at Tesla, or are named Elon...you) DON'T KNOW.

(and sorry, the Autopilot is JUST software? really? tell that to Mobileye, who no longer has a ... umm.... what were they providing for APv1...?? uummm... OH.... HARDWARE contract!!)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OK....again......
(and sorry, the Autopilot is JUST software? really? tell that to Mobileye, who no longer has a ... umm.... what were they providing for APv1...?? uummm... OH.... HARDWARE contract!!)
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yes, it's only software.

Again, the HW part is in the car if you want it or not ( yes, of course, even the mobileye part.. that of course now will be built by tesla or other, this doesn't matter ), you need ALL the HW present for apply all the security features, it has 0 sense to add 4 camera ( just to say a number ) for a car wich has autopilot and toggle it to a car that doesn't have it.
It create complexity for the software, it create complexity on the line, and in the best case enable you to keep in hand something like 50-100$ at the cost of re-wiring all if someone whant the autpilot added later, so, again, the autopilot upgrade is purely software.

Of course you need the HW part to make it, but you don't need HW changes to enable the autopilot ( like in the current version ).

Yes, of course they can change something in the future release of the autopilot v2, and yes of course we aren't tesla employee and even if we are there is no guarantee that the final version is the same as what they are developing now, maybe they discover that they need another camera, or a lidar or.. who care?

But you don't need to be to give a good enought estimation based on the fact that we know and based on common sense.

And this is of course for the autopilot part.. for the audio part.. better audio = better HW.
you can of course downgrade the HW but it's absurd and it's never done, usually a better HW need more space and it's heavier, so the only way that an upgrade on the audio part doesn't need HW changes is when there isn't an audio-upgrade options.
Or the upgrade enable spotify pro vs spotify free, but in this case you don't have a better audio-system, just better tracks to play

Yes, it's only software.

Again, the HW part is in the car if you want it or not ( yes, of course, even the mobileye part.. that of course now will be built by tesla or other, this doesn't matter ), you need ALL the HW present for apply all the security features, it has 0 sense to add 4 camera ( just to say a number ) for a car wich has autopilot and toggle it to a car that doesn't have it.
It create complexity for the software, it create complexity on the line, and in the best case enable you to keep in hand something like 50-100$ at the cost of re-wiring all if someone whant the autpilot added later, so, again, the autopilot upgrade is purely software.

Of course you need the HW part to make it, but you don't need HW changes to enable the autopilot ( like in the current version ).

Yes, of course they can change something in the future release of the autopilot v2, and yes of course we aren't tesla employee and even if we are there is no guarantee that the final version is the same as what they are developing now, maybe they discover that they need another camera, or a lidar or.. who care?

But you don't need to be to give a good enought estimation based on the fact that we know and based on common sense.

And this is of course for the autopilot part.. for the audio part.. better audio = better HW.
you can of course downgrade the HW but it's absurd and it's never done, usually a better HW need more space and it's heavier, so the only way that an upgrade on the audio part doesn't need HW changes is when there isn't an audio-upgrade options.
Or the upgrade enable spotify pro vs spotify free, but in this case you don't have a better audio-system, just better tracks to play

But, considering the likely exponential leap in capabilities between V1 and V2, how can we even know for sure at this point that the software portion of the upgrade will be the same?

You're expecting the vehicle to do a LOT more, maybe even everything (level 3 or 4)....that's MILES more code than is in the current version of AP.

My feeling is that it will cost more. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be $3,000 at build, and $3,500 if you turn it on later.

Getting back to the OP's original question ....

Since the M3 is a smaller car will the premium sound system require less speakers (where the hell do you put 12 speakers in a car anyway?), or less powerful ones. If that's the case then that right there may reduce the cost somewhat.

Another thing that might reduce the upgrade cost would be if they include the cutouts and wiring for additional speakers even if you get the base system. That would make aftermarket upgrades possible, it would slightly increase the cost of all of the ones that don't get the upgrade, but it might be countered by simplifying production to a degree.

I have a bose 3d sound system in my car. Everything is made to exact specs down to the nick picky length of wires to the speakers and speakers are tested for sound responsiveness times (delays from amp/stereo/ipod/dvd player). You can actually move your head about 3 inches and catch the doppler sound affect. Lasers in star wars are so nice and light saber fights are incredible. Brings new meaning to my nephew about a drive in. A solo drive in. I'm currently working on putting in a 55 inch 4k panel into the trunk of my model 3 with a motor that will rotate the screen and lift it. I believe my entire system is about 17k right now just in parts. Labor is probably about 200+hrs for full testing of sound equipment/mods/engineering/brainstorming. I have to update the NAS to 15tb of storage from 3tb. My only hope is I will be able to connect this hardware to a battery node-if not I'll have to hack it through the console. If there is a mount-there should be a way. First thing I plan on doing is striping the interior to see what I have to work with. If needed, I might add my own electrical system to it-small battery pack-like 4 car batteries or something along those lines.
-MicroAutoMods Inc.

• Funny
Reactions: ModelNforNerd