Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will you splurge your TSLA gains on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really digging this thread. I don't talk about my stealth TSLA wealth to anyone, so this is helpful to get it out. I took some gains and started a dream home construction near the ocean in upper NW Florida. Hoping the move will also help my future TSLA holdings capital gains state 0% and overall a good tax strategy for my income.

I'm on the fence of buying a Cybertruck. We already own two cars, one of them being a TSLA. My wife has a SUV that she loves, but if there's a decent 10k tax credit etc. I'm trying to convince her to trade it in for a CyberTruck. Unfortunately, she doesn't the truck. I was thinking of just splurging and buying the TSLA cybertruck as I can write-off from my business and hopefully it's weight is above 6000 lbs for the 'hummer' loophole 100% depreciation write-off expense. Though, I just can't justify owning two cars (Model S and Cybertruck) just for myself.

Truly blessed to have first world problems, and congratulations to all with their TSLA earnings and hanging through the rough times!

Note, I'm also looking into buying a single engine airplane (I'm a private pilot) and a yacht, but I just can't justify those purchases, really. I think I may have that frugal 'poor man' syndrome or something...

Note, I'm also looking into buying a single engine airplane (I'm a private pilot)

Oooh, what kind of plane would you like to buy? A Cessna, or a Piper? I've spent some time flying in C150's, C172's, and Commanches. I've always wanted to get my IFR license but I could never justify the expense for a "hobby". That's one of the things I'll likely be correcting in the very near future! :cool:

Oooh, what kind of plane would you like to buy? A Cessna, or a Piper? I've spent some time flying in C150's, C172's, and Commanches. I've always wanted to get my IFR license but I could never justify the expense for a "hobby". That's one of the things I'll likely be correcting in the very near future! :cool:

Awesome!! Yes, once we move to FL to our dream home (hopefully the build gets done around Dec this year...new construction is crazy delayed in FL due to the demand). I'll be near Embry-Riddle and there are tons of great instructors there.

If I really wanted to splurge, I would opt for the Cirrus SR-22, but it's quite expensive. I'm mainly trained on Cessna 172R and 172S. I'm OK with either 172, as I've found some decent deals for less than 75k even. I was thinking of actually buying the plane first, rake up on some more cross country VFR flights, and then hire a local instructor down in FL to learn IFR on the plane I own. The cool thing is my CPA tells me I could justify doing the "bonus depreciation" thing for 100% write-off, but I'd have to use it for business travel, which I intend to do.

That's also one of the reasons I'm spluring to move to FL is b/c I wanted to continue my aviation training and eventually become a CFI. Figured, that's a cool fun thing to do in an early retirement, while enjoying flying. Flying, I must say, is the best mental challenge for your brain and I find it very meditative!

Nice, I got to see an SR-22 up close at an airport with a great outdoor diner here in PA two years ago. The owner and his wife had flown in from Maine for lunch, he loved his plane to death and was very proud of it.

Ahh nice! It's all about that parachute :). I flew one with a friend who owned one, and the thing was super fast and slick and seemed a lot easier and more comfortable to fly. Loved the panaromic sky cockpit seating, too.

Not sure if we will drive or fly to test out an SR-22 Thursday, mainly to see if it is easy enough to get in and out of and to test comfort of the interior given our sizes. Came home smiling from the DPE a month ago! Home study for instrument test now, working on having fun Xcountry time and adding more flight following to get radio work down.

Not sure if we will drive or fly to test out an SR-22 Thursday, mainly to see if it is easy enough to get in and out of and to test comfort of the interior given our sizes. Came home smiling from the DPE a month ago! Home study for instrument test now, working on having fun Xcountry time and adding more flight following to get radio work down.

Wow!! Enjoy the trip, and hopefully weather is good for you to fly up there. I cannot wait to get instrument rated (hopefully with some future TSLA covered call earnings lol). I'm trying to get my biannual done, but many of the instructors in my area are scared of Covid at the moment. Congratulations on checking out the SR-22 and pls keep us posted. This is the one of my new favorite threads and things to read on the internet!

Some GA pilots in here! Trying to follow Elon's footsteps I see?

Aviation is a heck of a hobby and I've been around airplanes longer than TSLA has been in business. It doesn't get better anywhere else than the USA to fly GA. Probably the most useful tool for running my business and they are a great time (saving) machine. I've done PPL, IR, and already have HP, complex, high altitude endorsements. Hoping to have time to do tailwheel, multi, seaplane, heli, CFI, CFII, type rating.

Flying is one skill, but owning your own aircraft is another new world in itself. I have countless stories of inflight near emergencies (mechanical and weather related) and maintenance nightmares. Everyone has a certain budget and mission profile. The SR-22 is a great airplane for most people because it has a parachute and Cirrus has created a lifestyle around it but it's pricey and the range and payload can be very limited for some. For better payload and range maybe go to retractable single, pressurized single, or...
...make the TSLA HODLer jump to turboprop or light jet. Single engine turboprop are really popular these days (Meridian, M600, TBM, PC-12) since the initial and recurrent training requirements are a bit lower. But the demand is so high they cost more to acquire then a twin piston or even twin turboprops.

Aviation folks form a great community and has some of the nicest and supportive people around. If you have any questions on airplane choices (that best fits your mission profile and budget) and engine maintenance, feel free to hit me up. Blue skies!

I know some people have mentioned plans on dream houses (or mountains), but I thought it would be neat to share any big purchases you are excited or dreaming about thanks to your TSLA (or other) investment.
This month?
51cvJuXN83L._AC_SY580_.jpg

I'm moving house in the next few months (no choice) and the new house will cost about double my current one. Was planning to sell a bit of TSLA to go towards the deposit. Now looking like I'll need to either look for a cheaper house or sell more TSLA than I wanted to :eek:

Some GA pilots in here! Trying to follow Elon's footsteps I see?

Aviation is a heck of a hobby and I've been around airplanes longer than TSLA has been in business. It doesn't get better anywhere else than the USA to fly GA. Probably the most useful tool for running my business and they are a great time (saving) machine. I've done PPL, IR, and already have HP, complex, high altitude endorsements. Hoping to have time to do tailwheel, multi, seaplane, heli, CFI, CFII, type rating.

Flying is one skill, but owning your own aircraft is another new world in itself. I have countless stories of inflight near emergencies (mechanical and weather related) and maintenance nightmares. Everyone has a certain budget and mission profile. The SR-22 is a great airplane for most people because it has a parachute and Cirrus has created a lifestyle around it but it's pricey and the range and payload can be very limited for some. For better payload and range maybe go to retractable single, pressurized single, or...
...make the TSLA HODLer jump to turboprop or light jet. Single engine turboprop are really popular these days (Meridian, M600, TBM, PC-12) since the initial and recurrent training requirements are a bit lower. But the demand is so high they cost more to acquire then a twin piston or even twin turboprops.

Aviation folks form a great community and has some of the nicest and supportive people around. If you have any questions on airplane choices (that best fits your mission profile and budget) and engine maintenance, feel free to hit me up. Blue skies!
Very cool! I'm wanting to get back into training so bad, but where I'm at currently in DC the instructors are not readily available as they used to be. I'm moving to FL later this year, so hoping to get my instrument rating done then.

For fun, I browse around looking at Cessna 182s and Diamonds. SR-22 is just way out of my budget, but if TSLA hits 1k I could then afford it :). Did you get your training done in FL? I'll be near Embry Riddle area, so will start researching flight schools for my instrument rating. Exciting!

Reactions: UltradoomY
And food and clothes and housing and holidays (what was that again?) and gadgets and a new Tesla. And more.

Must say it's weird to pay so much in taxes. I am surprisingly emotional about it. From shocked over the huge bill one second to loving that I have been fortunate enough to be in this situation the next.
I am still in shock and denial.