Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will you splurge your TSLA gains on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in San Diego visiting some friends. I love Del Mar.

But I also visited my friend who about a place more inland in Del Sur. Kinda out there. I'm not one for big places, but man this place was nice.

Backyard goes right up into a canyon. View of ocean on clear days. The floor-to-ceiling "wall" of windows from the kitchen to backyard fully retract into the wall to fully open up when you want.

Reactions: kcveins
Some GA pilots in here! Trying to follow Elon's footsteps I see?

Aviation is a heck of a hobby and I've been around airplanes longer than TSLA has been in business. It doesn't get better anywhere else than the USA to fly GA. Probably the most useful tool for running my business and they are a great time (saving) machine. I've done PPL, IR, and already have HP, complex, high altitude endorsements. Hoping to have time to do tailwheel, multi, seaplane, heli, CFI, CFII, type rating.

Flying is one skill, but owning your own aircraft is another new world in itself. I have countless stories of inflight near emergencies (mechanical and weather related) and maintenance nightmares. Everyone has a certain budget and mission profile. The SR-22 is a great airplane for most people because it has a parachute and Cirrus has created a lifestyle around it but it's pricey and the range and payload can be very limited for some. For better payload and range maybe go to retractable single, pressurized single, or...
...make the TSLA HODLer jump to turboprop or light jet. Single engine turboprop are really popular these days (Meridian, M600, TBM, PC-12) since the initial and recurrent training requirements are a bit lower. But the demand is so high they cost more to acquire then a twin piston or even twin turboprops.

Aviation folks form a great community and has some of the nicest and supportive people around. If you have any questions on airplane choices (that best fits your mission profile and budget) and engine maintenance, feel free to hit me up. Blue skies!
I don't understand the appeal of the SR22. It's expensive for what it is. Not even pressurized. My friend owned one and recently upgraded to the M600 after I got my Meridian. There is just no comparison. Weather/icing kills a lot of pilots. With a turboprop you blast right through the icing layers and fly above it all at FL280. Of course don't even get me started on how awesome a light jet is, but now the operating costs go through the roof (as in $250-$300k per year vs $75k (fuel, annuals, insurance) for the Meridian). But God almighty I love my Honda Jet - blasting out of an airport at 210KIAS while climbing 3000-4000ft/min is unreal, followed by cruising at FL410 at 420 KTAS!! 😍 Incredibly quiet too and the pressurization is awesome - my ears never pop, even when a bone head controller made me drop last minute at over 4,000ft/min with speed brakes deployed:rolleyes:

I don't understand the appeal of the SR22. It's expensive for what it is. Not even pressurized. My friend owned one and recently upgraded to the M600 after I got my Meridian. There is just no comparison. Weather/icing kills a lot of pilots. With a turboprop you blast right through the icing layers and fly above it all at FL280. Of course don't even get me started on how awesome a light jet is, but now the operating costs go through the roof (as in $250-$300k per year vs $75k (fuel, annuals, insurance) for the Meridian). But God almighty I love my Honda Jet - blasting out of an airport at 210KIAS while climbing 3000-4000ft/min is unreal, followed by cruising at FL410 at 420 KTAS!! 😍 Incredibly quiet too and the pressurization is awesome - my ears never pop, even when a bone head controller made me drop last minute at over 4,000ft/min with speed brakes deployed:rolleyes:

I was wanting to ask someone that flies what their thoughts are on Otto Aviation's up-coming ultra-efficient plane. I don't know enough about planes to know if this will be a game-changer for the industry, but it came across my news feed a few times and caught my eye.

I was wanting to ask someone that flies what their thoughts are on Otto Aviation's up-coming ultra-efficient plane. I don't know enough about planes to know if this will be a game-changer for the industry, but it came across my news feed a few times and caught my eye.

Interesting. The Honda Jet was also computer designed with a laminar airflow, composite cabin. I personally prefer a turbine engine over anything piston (turboprop is 100X more reliable). But that wasn't enough for me and I wanted two turbine engines. (I know some commercial operations won't use the Pilatus because it is single engine). I do like the large size of the Otto cabin. I have no idea how many startups fail in aviation. I think getting the Honda Jet into production was over a Billion dollars. There is an Italian airplane that is similar to the Otto, but uses two efficient Turbo-Props. I looked into it a little, but it was way bigger than what I needed. Piaggio P.180 Avanti - Wikipedia

If you have to ask about annual costs of a light jet, then you can't afford...j/k

HondaJet just looks better after every iteration! How was the type rating for it? I'm starting to look at doing the CE-525 type rating since I'm considering an M2 (or larger later like CJ4 for range) but been slammed with work haven't committed time for it.

What do you think of the HondaJet 2600? Willing to fly that long in a light jet? Or maybe you got the HA420 to get in line for the 2600? I would love a true non-stop coast to coast single pilot jet that saves a bit of time (and fuel for those pit stop descent and climbs) since I do that a few times a year but winds in the flight levels make the east bound jaunt sometimes possible single shot and always have to stop somewhere going west anyways.

Reactions: UltradoomY
If you have to ask about annual costs of a light jet, then you can't afford...j/k

HondaJet just looks better after every iteration! How was the type rating for it? I'm starting to look at doing the CE-525 type rating since I'm considering an M2 (or larger later like CJ4 for range) but been slammed with work haven't committed time for it.

What do you think of the HondaJet 2600? Willing to fly that long in a light jet? Or maybe you got the HA420 to get in line for the 2600? I would love a true non-stop coast to coast single pilot jet that saves a bit of time (and fuel for those pit stop descent and climbs) since I do that a few times a year but winds in the flight levels make the east bound jaunt sometimes possible single shot and always have to stop somewhere going west anyways.
Sending PM to avoid turning this into an aviation forum.... :)

Reactions: UltradoomY
NNOOOO! Us C172 pilots love silently stalking! Nicer airplanes don't really get talked about on pilots of america. My observation is that lots of regular folks look down on those with enough money to have a nice plane, new plane, or to upgrade the plane.
Most discussions are private or offline in my experience and owner flown aircraft in the go fast range (light jets, turboprops, etc.) usually have gatherings to within their brands (Pilatus, Daher, maybe Textron does but I don't follow, etc.). Try beechtalk, besides the Bonanza and Baron folks, there are quite a few off brand alpha male/females on there worth reading their life stories and adventures on there. Try Cessna Pilots Society for the mainly 172, 182, 210 folks.

As an aviation nut along with others, I love reading everything about airplanes so don't ever feel left out. I get excited seeing a light sport sky catcher or Piper cub at any airport! Though its fun to punch through the clouds in the flight levels, I do like to occasionally crawl along over the tree line...maybe a little R44 in my future....:p