TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What winter tire & wheel sets are you getting?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chowfun, Aug 21, 2018.

1. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Tesla's site says they provide free shipping to your nearest service center. But I live 4 hours from there. Does anyone know if I order from them, will they ship them to my house for free instead?

• Like x 1
  2. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

No, only if you see a picture of the rim on a M3P.

I bought 18x8.5 winter rims for my 2018 STI (stock 19x8.5) from a company that has specialized in Subarus since 2002+, and I’ve bought multiple sets from them. The car was very new and had different Brembo calipers than previous years. They said one style would fit, then in the process of ordering I found out it wouldn’t from the forums. Turns out my guys never tested. So luckily another shop did test fit other styles of the brand and I ordered ones that actually fit.

Get a picture of the wheels on a M3P.

3. mekberg

mekberg Member

My friendly Mobile Service guy said he could install them. Three co-workers and I are considering group ordering the package. Mobile Service said they'd bring a trailer and knock them all out at once.

4. T-Man

T-Man Member

If it is your daily driver, DO IT. I'm in the same area (Go Birds!) and put snow tires on my previous cars (BMW, Audi) and it was well worth all the trouble. i'm debating doing it for my PM3, even though I'll still have access to a beater that I'll drive in the snow most of the time.

Since I'm getting the 20 inch wheels from the factory, I'm thinking snow tires might be a safer bet just because of the pot holes. Added traction in cold/dry weather will just be a bonus.

• Like x 1
  5. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

#45 S3XY, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    I'm going with the 18" TST's. I did the pre-order on them (last BF!) and they just shipped yesterday. I was leaning towards putting the x-ice on them but could be swayed.

6. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

The tires that come on the 20s are absolutely inappropriate for cold weather (under 40), let alone actual snow.

7. Blu Angel

Blu Angel Member

8. chowfun

chowfun Member

I ended up getting another set of Aero wheels from Tesla at $200/ea plus eBay has 15% everything today and copped my X-ice for $164/ea. I'm pretty happy to get the full set for under $1500.

9. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

How did you get Aero wheels for $200 each? They quoted me $300 each...

10. Kenypowa

Kenypowa Member

There was some rumors last week that Tesla is raising the price of the rims. Perhaps $300 per rim is the new pricing. Are you sure $300 is rims only excluding the sensor?

I did order mine last week so I was locked in the old price.

11. chowfun

chowfun Member

It was $200 for rims. Extra for hubs and sensor

12. fnce_prof

fnce_prof Member

#52 fnce_prof, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Got a set of Nokian R2s on eBay for $560 w/ coupon together with cheap TPMS (ITM? $100 for all 4) and will mount them on tire rack discount alloy rims (or steelies if I can find them). I'm pretty sure the rims will get banged up in our harsh winter here so I'm getting the cheapest ones possible.

• Informative x 1
  13. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Exactly what I want.

Would you mind posting some links ?

14. SageBrush

Can I use this tyre size ?

235/55R18XL 104R BSW

I realize the speedometer will be off. Anything else ?
    Presuming my arithmetic is correct, will the ~ 1 inch increased radius of tyre fit comfortably in the well ?

15. fnce_prof

fnce_prof Member

I got it from this ebay seller. There was a 15% off coupon yesterday which brought the price down to $560. The discount coupons pop up about once a month so I would hold off until one is available.

• Helpful x 1
  16. Drmd

Drmd Member

Planning to buy Michelin X-Ice® Xi3 235/45 R18 98H from discount tires as service center is 250 miles. Can you just switch tires on Aero OEM wheels? Why buy second set of wheels as I cannot do it myself anyways.

17. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

You could, but then you have to pay a shop $100 each time you change seasons, so $200/year. Buy a second set of wheels for the winter, it will pay for itself in 3 year or so, plus the convenience of doing it yourself whenever you need and without an appointment. Plus you don't have to worry about damage to your wheels from always mounting and unmounting.

• Like x 2
  18. SageBrush

Another advantage: if an owner is like me and tends to get too close to the kerb leading to wheel rash, two sets let me choose which wheels will be on during show-time by paying a one time tyre swap fee.

19. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

#59 jsmay311, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    I'm struggling with that same decision for Chicago winters: Studless or Performance winter tires?

Specifically when comparing two Michelin options, the Consumer Reports ratings show the Pilot Alpin performance winter tires doing significantly better on wet/dry handling and braking than the X-Ice studless tires, while they both get the same "excellent" ratings for snow traction and ice braking. (Although I suspect that the lack of differentiation on the ice/snow scores is due to CR having set the bar too low for achieving an "excellent" ice/snow score.)

On the other hand, they have the studless X-Ice's being better/quieter on road noise and a lot better on rolling resistance. I had X-Ice's on my Volt and was impressed by how quiet they were, and I didn't see much of a drop in efficiency vs the LRR all-seasons. And they did do well in the snow too.

But I never considered that I might be sacrificing significant braking distance when driving on cold non-snow/non-ice pavement -- which is much more common than driving on snow/ice around here. So now I'm torn. Is one clearly safer than the other for Midwest winters? Idk. But if it's close, I might still go with studless for the reduced road noise and improved efficiency.

20. usofrob

usofrob Member

I just put on the sottozero 3 tires on my car this weekend. They're a lot more confidence inspiring than the studless snow tires I've had in the past, a lot less tread squirm at 41 or 45 psi. I think I'll be happy with them. I might put the summer tires back on to wait for winter to start, but I have another fun car to drive that won't be an much fun with it's studless snow tires once winter starts. Not a bad problem to have. :)