Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What winter tire & wheel sets are you getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I'm not positive. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to figure it out.. It's so risky buying new tires and wheels on a new car. Can we really rely on the online retailer compatibility?

No, only if you see a picture of the rim on a M3P.

I bought 18x8.5 winter rims for my 2018 STI (stock 19x8.5) from a company that has specialized in Subarus since 2002+, and I’ve bought multiple sets from them. The car was very new and had different Brembo calipers than previous years. They said one style would fit, then in the process of ordering I found out it wouldn’t from the forums. Turns out my guys never tested. So luckily another shop did test fit other styles of the brand and I ordered ones that actually fit.

Get a picture of the wheels on a M3P.

Tesla's site says they provide free shipping to your nearest service center. But I live 4 hours from there. Does anyone know if I order from them, will they ship them to my house for free instead?

My friendly Mobile Service guy said he could install them. Three co-workers and I are considering group ordering the package. Mobile Service said they'd bring a trailer and knock them all out at once.

In SE PA I haven't gotten winter tires before, although definitely felt that we could have used them a few times in the past.
Figured, we invested this much in a car, might as well have the safest setup.

If it is your daily driver, DO IT. I'm in the same area (Go Birds!) and put snow tires on my previous cars (BMW, Audi) and it was well worth all the trouble. i'm debating doing it for my PM3, even though I'll still have access to a beater that I'll drive in the snow most of the time.

Since I'm getting the 20 inch wheels from the factory, I'm thinking snow tires might be a safer bet just because of the pot holes. Added traction in cold/dry weather will just be a bonus.

Reactions: ezevphl
Going with the 18s because they are flow forged vs 19 cast? Might wait until Black Friday for T sportline deal. Lots of good reviews on those Nokian Hakka r2’s. Might have to go with them over mich x-ice regardless of warranty...
I'm going with the 18" TST's. I did the pre-order on them (last BF!) and they just shipped yesterday. I was leaning towards putting the x-ice on them but could be swayed.

Last edited:
If it is your daily driver, DO IT. I'm in the same area (Go Birds!) and put snow tires on my previous cars (BMW, Audi) and it was well worth all the trouble. i'm debating doing it for my PM3, even though I'll still have access to a beater that I'll drive in the snow most of the time.

Since I'm getting the 20 inch wheels from the factory, I'm thinking snow tires might be a safer bet just because of the pot holes. Added traction in cold/dry weather will just be a bonus.

The tires that come on the 20s are absolutely inappropriate for cold weather (under 40), let alone actual snow.

Got a set of Nokian R2s on eBay for $560 w/ coupon together with cheap TPMS (ITM? $100 for all 4) and will mount them on tire rack discount alloy rims (or steelies if I can find them). I'm pretty sure the rims will get banged up in our harsh winter here so I'm getting the cheapest ones possible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Planning to buy Michelin X-Ice® Xi3 235/45 R18 98H from discount tires as service center is 250 miles. Can you just switch tires on Aero OEM wheels? Why buy second set of wheels as I cannot do it myself anyways.

I'm going with the 18" TST's. I did the pre-order on them (last BF!) and they just shipped yesterday. I was leaning towards putting the x-ice on them but could be swayed.

Planning to buy Michelin X-Ice® Xi3 235/45 R18 98H from discount tires as service center is 250 miles. Can you just switch tires on Aero OEM wheels? Why buy second set of wheels as I cannot do it myself anyways.

You could, but then you have to pay a shop $100 each time you change seasons, so $200/year. Buy a second set of wheels for the winter, it will pay for itself in 3 year or so, plus the convenience of doing it yourself whenever you need and without an appointment. Plus you don't have to worry about damage to your wheels from always mounting and unmounting.

I've had the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 on 2 vehicle (Subaru and Lotus), and while the grip is great in the snow and ice, on normal pavement they are just too floaty and I have to overinflate them to get them to handle okay, but that reduces there grip. On the Subaru it was so bad that I pulled off the road at least twice while driving on the freeway to check to make sure my wheels weren't loose. It made me driver slower on the freeway because the cars handling wasn't predictable, even if the grip was technically sufficient. At slower speeds it was a ton of fun, it was just bad over like 50 mph.

So, from now on, I'll be getting some performance winter tires, not the studless winter tires. In SE Michigan, we don't get that much snow, and it gets cleared usually within a couple days. So, when the roads are just cold, I feel much safer with the performance winter tires, like the WINTER SOTTOZERO 3.

I'm struggling with that same decision for Chicago winters: Studless or Performance winter tires?

Specifically when comparing two Michelin options, the Consumer Reports ratings show the Pilot Alpin performance winter tires doing significantly better on wet/dry handling and braking than the X-Ice studless tires, while they both get the same "excellent" ratings for snow traction and ice braking. (Although I suspect that the lack of differentiation on the ice/snow scores is due to CR having set the bar too low for achieving an "excellent" ice/snow score.)

On the other hand, they have the studless X-Ice's being better/quieter on road noise and a lot better on rolling resistance. I had X-Ice's on my Volt and was impressed by how quiet they were, and I didn't see much of a drop in efficiency vs the LRR all-seasons. And they did do well in the snow too.

But I never considered that I might be sacrificing significant braking distance when driving on cold non-snow/non-ice pavement -- which is much more common than driving on snow/ice around here. So now I'm torn. Is one clearly safer than the other for Midwest winters? Idk. But if it's close, I might still go with studless for the reduced road noise and improved efficiency.

Last edited:
I just put on the sottozero 3 tires on my car this weekend. They're a lot more confidence inspiring than the studless snow tires I've had in the past, a lot less tread squirm at 41 or 45 psi. I think I'll be happy with them. I might put the summer tires back on to wait for winter to start, but I have another fun car to drive that won't be an much fun with it's studless snow tires once winter starts. Not a bad problem to have. :)