Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would Autopilot &/or FSD do if the vehicle experienced a tire blow out ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend experienced a tire blowout yesterday on the highway in his ICE vehicle.
His wife then asked me " What would the Tesla do in self driving mode if that happened?"
To which I replied " That's a good question"
I actually don't know and thought this may be a good topic to discuss.
Anyone have any actual knowledge regarding this?

It's impossible to know what a system that doesn't exist, and is years away from existing would do in a hypothetical situation. Today, we have L2, and the human must take over immediately. Any crash of the vehicle is on them.

But even with that- what does a human do when a tire blows out? There's not a singular answer.

Reactions: AquaY
Well, then a Tesla, or any car with cruise, will do what you want it to. It will add power in order to maintain speed. A Tesla will steer as needed to stay in the lane.
Seems like the much more interesting question is how it detects a blowout to know not to just keep driving, and how it will balance the risk of pulling over vs continuing driving. One pedal driving is irrelevant when the computer has full control of power and brakes, and is completely ignoring the throttle pedal (and there isn't even anyone in the driver's seat).

Remember, the old guidance to not step on the brakes comes from a long time ago, before ABS and stability control. Modern ESC will do a lot here.

How would it detect a tire blow out?
Also, full self driving never cancels. There may not be a person there.
Are we talking about existing L2 highway autosteer here, or eventual L4 actual self driving?
I think it would be very easy to detect with the wheel speed sensors (or the TPMS but that has a low refresh rate).
Interestingly the SAE L3 standard specifies that the driver is responsible for detecting mechanical failures and taking over.

Reactions: mswlogo
How would it detect a tire blow out?
Also, full self driving never cancels. There may not be a person there.
Are we talking about existing L2 highway autosteer here, or eventual L4 actual self driving?
What do you think tire pressure sensors are for? I think AutoPilot won’t engage if your tire is very low.

FSD would just slow down and pull over just like a human would.

There are way more challenging issues for FSD than a blow out.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Here's what the SAE says:
1626913914595.png

1626913958881.png

I think it would be very easy to detect with the wheel speed sensors
A wheel speed sensor reading faster than before (when the tire diameter shrinks) could also be ice. Positive detection of the reason for this seems hard.
As you say, in L2/L3, it's not relevant. The car already kicks out of AP and TAAC if stability control goes off, and the reason for the kick out isn't important.
When in L4, context will become important to the failure and what the appropriate response is.

Hence, the ultimate question to the OP- what do you mean by "self driving mode?" ;)

A wheel speed sensor reading faster than before (when the tire diameter shrinks) could also be ice. Positive detection of the reason for this seems hard.
As you say, in L2/L3, it's not relevant. The car already kicks out of AP and TAAC if stability control goes off, and the reason for the kick out isn't important.
When in L4, context will become important to the failure and what the appropriate response is.

Hence, the ultimate question to the OP- what do you mean by "self driving mode?" ;)
The the title of the thread says it all

What would Autopilot &/or FSD do if the vehicle experienced a tire blow out ?”​

So it’s not what I mean about “self driving mode” Its what Tesla means by Autopilot and FSD.

My guess/expectation: it doesn't specifically detect anything until/unless steering authority in the steering servo isn't enough to stay in lane, then it would immediately disconnect, likewise with speed control. Another guess: if there is a serious detected diagnostic failure (that would put a warning up on the screen) in any system related to steering, autopilot or throttle it will just disconnect (and probably put you in autopilot jail).

Guess that brings us to the next question....what if the accelerator goes full throttle? How do you stop that? Easy in a regular car, throw it into N. Worst case kill the engine slam on brakes without power and hope you can steer stop safely.

Tesla is all fly by wire. So then what? How do you kill the car?!?!

Guess that brings us to the next question....what if the accelerator goes full throttle? How do you stop that? Easy in a regular car, throw it into N. Worst case kill the engine slam on brakes without power and hope you can steer stop safely.

Tesla is all fly by wire. So then what? How do you kill the car?!?!
For your own edification, take your Tesla out on a quiet stretch and try flooring it and then immediately hitting the brake while still depressing the accelerator. Report back to us if you crashed at 140mph, or if the car reacted safely.

We'll wait.

For your own edification, take your Tesla out on a quiet stretch and try flooring it and then immediately hitting the brake while still depressing the accelerator. Report back to us if you crashed at 140mph, or if the car reacted safely.

We'll wait.
I love your snippy reply...I don't need to do that, I'm a left footed braker, so I know what happens when you press the accelerator and the brake at the same time, it squawks and slows the car. Didn't answer the question...you assume the brake is going to have some effect if it goes full throttle...what if the sensor on the brake isn't working either...I know, this never happens??? I believe everything Tesla has done will prevent this from happening. IDK...what has Tesla done to prevent this scenario.

Take it from an airline pilot, they say things even with full fly by wire and redundant systems will never happen, well we know with Boeing and other aircraft incidences...this isn't the case don't we??? This Tesla has nothing on aircraft systems...I can assure you.

So, the car goes full throttle, brake does nothing...now what? Neutral doesn't work....nothing..how do you kill it?? Power off in essence if necessary?

Just curious. Or is this just not a thing with a Tesla ever possible...if so, I want to know what makes it that way?