Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would Autopilot &/or FSD do if the vehicle experienced a tire blow out ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love your snippy reply...I don't need to do that, I'm a left footed braker, so I know what happens when you press the accelerator and the brake at the same time, it squawks and slows the car. Didn't answer the question...you assume the brake is going to have some effect if it goes full throttle...what if the sensor on the brake isn't working either...I know, this never happens??? I believe everything Tesla has done will prevent this from happening. IDK...what has Tesla done to prevent this scenario.

Take it from an airline pilot, they say things even with full fly by wire and redundant systems will never happen, well we know with Boeing and other aircraft incidences...this isn't the case don't we??? This Tesla has nothing on aircraft systems...I can assure you.

So, the car goes full throttle, brake does nothing...now what? Neutral doesn't work....nothing..how do you kill it?? Power off in essence if necessary?

Just curious. Or is this just not a thing with a Tesla ever possible...if so, I want to know what makes it that way?
The brake pedal has a mechanical (hydraulic) link to the brakes on the wheels. Brakes are sized to stop car under full throttle, if that were ever to happen.

Steering also has a mechanical link to the front wheels, so steering control is maintained even on loss of electrical control.

I love your snippy reply...I don't need to do that, I'm a left footed braker, so I know what happens when you press the accelerator and the brake at the same time, it squawks and slows the car. Didn't answer the question...you assume the brake is going to have some effect if it goes full throttle...what if the sensor on the brake isn't working either...I know, this never happens??? I believe everything Tesla has done will prevent this from happening. IDK...what has Tesla done to prevent this scenario.

Take it from an airline pilot, they say things even with full fly by wire and redundant systems will never happen, well we know with Boeing and other aircraft incidences...this isn't the case don't we??? This Tesla has nothing on aircraft systems...I can assure you.

So, the car goes full throttle, brake does nothing...now what? Neutral doesn't work....nothing..how do you kill it?? Power off in essence if necessary?

Just curious. Or is this just not a thing with a Tesla ever possible...if so, I want to know what makes it that way?
Snippy? Your question was full of assumptions about a malfunction that's never been reported. Anywhere. For any Tesla. Feel free to find an authoritative source that says otherwise.

If you are saying the brake doesn't work in the very simple experiment you can conduct that I mentioned in my "snippy," I'm confused. You already admit you know what happens. The car generally doesn't use a "brake" but rather the mechanical resistance of the motors, which can result in strong deceleration itself, PLUS the mechanical brakes. So even floored and before the car reaches vMax, you already know the answer. I haven't tried it at 80+mph, have you? I mean floored plus pressing the brake pedal.

I love your snippy reply...I don't need to do that, I'm a left footed braker, so I know what happens when you press the accelerator and the brake at the same time, it squawks and slows the car. Didn't answer the question...you assume the brake is going to have some effect if it goes full throttle...what if the sensor on the brake isn't working either...I know, this never happens???
So now you've added "what if the brake isn't working either, so you are talking two concurrent failures of core safety hardware.

Your question sounds more accusatory and attempts a "what if" for an extremely unlikely failure that hasn't happened in 9 years of production Teslas.

If a bull hat teats, it would be a cow. I'm not aware of trans bovines.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
If the computer indicates full throttle when I'm not pressing the electron pedal, and the brakes simultaneously fail - I'd hope I'd have the presence of mind to engage the parking brake. And then try to shift to neutral. All while trying to steer. Similar to flying, sometimes you improvise the procedure (i.e., dual engine flame out) because it's so extremely unlikely, nobody thought to proceduralize it. But those situations have (aircraft example) have happened.

Guess that brings us to the next question....what if the accelerator goes full throttle? How do you stop that? Easy in a regular car, throw it into N. Worst case kill the engine slam on brakes without power and hope you can steer stop safely.

Tesla is all fly by wire. So then what? How do you kill the car?!?!
There's also the emergency brake. In my Model 3, that's engaged by holding the button at the end of the right stalk (same button you use to put it in Park). I definitely did not learn this on accident early on in ownership when I was just trying to spray my windshield.

The brake pedal has a mechanical (hydraulic) link to the brakes on the wheels. Brakes are sized to stop car under full throttle, if that were ever to happen.

Steering also has a mechanical link to the front wheels, so steering control is maintained even on loss of electrical control.

Thanks, this is the most accurate description of what I was asking about. Not having looked under the body work, nor having something in the manual typically regarding systems, I was way over thinking how advanced this car is.

It is just a bunch of mechanical actuated linkages, physically still operated by servos/motors whatever....electronics fail, there is still a mechanical linkage to the brakes and steering.

Accelerator is really the only control that is a wire only system for driver inputs/control.

Gotcha...all the what-ifs I had were way out of proportion since the systems are still mechanical for main controls. So, we will just assume the electronics after failing will still give us a mechanical means to ram the brakes on without power assist and the parking brake will do their thing.