Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would be the coolest car to convert to electric?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was driving north, I stopped in at the motorway services. Pulling into the car park, I passed the Tesla charger station, and got caught in a bit of a queue as 4 DeLoreans were parking. I don't think I've ever seen that many together. It would've been brilliant if those were charging at superchargers.

Full Self Driving (if you don't count the chauffeur).

1926-rolls-royce-phantom-i-02.jpg

My father may have owned that car once! Back in the 50s he and a couple ofther guys bought a 1929 Rolls limo that had belonged to silent movie star Clara Bow. They intended to restore it, but the garage where they had it stored got sold and they had to sell it because they couldn't find another place to store it. The car was drivable, but the floor was missing. He said it was disconcerting to see the road zipping along under your feet.

I saw this thread in the trending list and thought someone had posted the latest Rich Rebuilds video. He went to an event where they were putting Teslas and other cars on a dyno and someone showed up with an Audi that had the entire drive system replaced with the guts of a Model S.

It's also funny this thread came up today. I came across a video a few days ago of a Buick Roadmaster that someone put the transmission from a Camaro in it. The later 1990s Roadmasters had a Corvette engine, but it was mated with a sedate automatic.

My car before the Model S was a Roadmaster I bought new in 1992 (that one had a Chevy 3/4 ton pickup engine rather than the Corvette engine). When I was looking at the Model S, I noted the wheelbase and width of the Model S and Roadmaster are almost identical. The Roadmaster was body on frame and the S is built on the skateboard. It would take more effort than I have time for, but a Roadmaster body could probably be mated to a Model S/X skateboard. There is room to put in a much larger radiator than Teslas have which might enable the car to actually run on the track more than a lap without going into thermal protection of the batteries.

I was just thinking how funny it would be to take a Roadmaster with a P100D guts to the drag track and embarass supercars with a "grandpa" car.

The Model S is so much better than the Roadmaster in so many ways, but I miss the seats. On long road trips it was like cruising down the highway in a comfy arm chair.

Reactions: Model 3
It's also funny this thread came up today. I came across a video a few days ago of a Buick Roadmaster that someone put the transmission from a Camaro in it. The later 1990s Roadmasters had a Corvette engine, but it was mated with a sedate automatic.

My car before the Model S was a Roadmaster I bought new in 1992 (that one had a Chevy 3/4 ton pickup engine rather than the Corvette engine). When I was looking at the Model S, I noted the wheelbase and width of the Model S and Roadmaster are almost identical. The Roadmaster was body on frame and the S is built on the skateboard. It would take more effort than I have time for, but a Roadmaster body could probably be mated to a Model S/X skateboard. There is room to put in a much larger radiator than Teslas have which might enable the car to actually run on the track more than a lap without going into thermal protection of the batteries.

I was just thinking how funny it would be to take a Roadmaster with a P100D guts to the drag track and embarass supercars with a "grandpa" car.

The Model S is so much better than the Roadmaster in so many ways, but I miss the seats. On long road trips it was like cruising down the highway in a comfy arm chair.
You have got to be kidding me! I would love a link to that video. What year was your Roadmaster? My goal was initially to get a Roadmaster, but I could not find one that I could afford, or that was not already fully restored. I ended up with my '49 Super, which was fortunate, as the Roadmaster was a few inches too big for my garage. My Super has a 454 engine, overdrive tranny, power brakes and steering. I would trade all that for a Tesla drive train in a heartbeat!

Photo or it did not happen... :cool:
Sadly I don't have a photo of all of them together. Two out of the 4 will have to suffice.

Two were in front: one had parked, the second was just parking up. A VW flatbed in front of me (and who seemed to be with the group) was then next to park. The others were directly behind me and parked up as I got out the way. I guess it was some sort of meet-up.

I should've just stopped, gotten out and taken a picture, but being British that sort of behaviour is a bit too much. There were other cars behind as it was the exit out of the services and I felt embarrassed enough taking the picture I did.

If you're wondering, I've covered the VW's plate and cropped the satnav destination out of the left of the picture. The Supercharging area is behind a little way further along the car park nearer to the entrance, and there weren't any cars parked in it at all.

KOjwvMo.jpg

Reactions: FlatSix911
You have got to be kidding me! I would love a link to that video. What year was your Roadmaster? My goal was initially to get a Roadmaster, but I could not find one that I could afford, or that was not already fully restored. I ended up with my '49 Super, which was fortunate, as the Roadmaster was a few inches too big for my garage. My Super has a 454 engine, overdrive tranny, power brakes and steering. I would trade all that for a Tesla drive train in a heartbeat!

Here is the video:

Both the video and mine were the last revision of the Roadmaster from the 90s. Mine was a 1992. Not as externally sexy as the original Roadmasters by a long shot, but one of the most comfortable car interiors I've ever experienced.

My mother said her cousin had a Roadmaster around 1950. He had a boat and it was one of the few cars out there capable of hauling it. She told a story of one time she went somewhere with him and on the way home late at night she fell asleep in the front seat, she woke up hearing the noise of the engine and just saw the speedometer coming down from around 90.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
I am not sure of some of the suggestions here. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE each and every one of the cars suggested. They all make me smile. Something seems not right about an original Ford Mustang being electric. Same thing with an electric Lincoln continental. Amazing cars, but electric? Sure, I would love one, but would not be a passion for me to convert any of those.

Up thread, I chose a '62 Corvette. An absolutely beautiful car, but completely useless as a driver. I mean, absolutely horrible. Rough, slow, poor handling. After driving one for a few weeks, I was absolutely done and had zero interest in ever driving it again. Now, as an electric car... that would be something special.

As a side note, there are plenty of purists out there that would cringe about changing the original nature of a car. I get them. For my purposes, I just try to imagine that whatever car is converted, was one who's condition was so bad off, that there was no hope of keeping it original. That always makes me feel better.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am not sure of some of the suggestions here. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE each and every one of the cars suggested. They all make me smile. Something seems not right about an original Ford Mustang being electric. Same thing with an electric Lincoln continental. Amazing cars, but electric? Sure, I would love one, but would not be a passion for me to convert any of those.

Up thread, I chose a '62 Corvette. An absolutely beautiful car, but completely useless as a driver. I mean, absolutely horrible. Rough, slow, poor handling. After driving one for a few weeks, I was absolutely done and had zero interest in ever driving it again. Now, as an electric car... that would be something special.

As a side note, there are plenty of purists out there that would cringe about changing the original nature of a car. I get them. For my purposes, I just try to imagine that whatever car is converted, was one who's condition was so bad off, that there was no hope of keeping it original. That always makes me feel better.
I agree that purists would cringe. And that converting those cars to electric would take away from the whole package.
But it also adds many tings:
  • Easier to maintain and keep running for the decades to come
  • Silent and stealthy operation
  • More reliable than the original
In the end, I see those types of conversation as saving those cars.

Reactions: Model 3
I love a lot of these classics for the design. I really don't care about the 'purity' of the underpinnings. Take a car and bring it up to date. Two of my favourites lately are the ICON Rolls Royce Silver Cloud Derelict and the MCM Datsun Fairlady RB26 240Z - both of these would make my list of things to electrify.

NB: ICON did actually EV one of their vehicles:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEDfltpr-4

Last edited:
Up thread, I chose a '62 Corvette. An absolutely beautiful car, but completely useless as a driver. I mean, absolutely horrible.
Rough, slow, poor handling. After driving one for a few weeks, I was absolutely done and had zero interest in ever driving it again. Now, as an electric car... that would be something special.
As a side note, there are plenty of purists out there that would cringe about changing the original nature of a car. I get them. For my purposes, I just try to imagine that whatever car is converted, was one whose condition was so bad off, that there was no hope of keeping it original. That always makes me feel better.

I agree with your premise... the conversions work best in cars that were beautiful but a bit underwhelming in the performance category.
The Porsche 914 is a perfect example of this concept mentioned up thread... with plenty of room for batteries in the front and rear trunks :cool:

Last edited:
Thinking about an iconic cars with a futuristic look and build a little bit too much in advance of its generation,
I definitively was thinking about the 1975-1979 AMC Pacer.

It was described as "the seventies answer to George Jetson's mode of transportation"
at a time when "Detroit was still rolling out boat-sized gas guzzlers."

Some of the original concepts became typical of the current electric vehicules generation:

- The rounded shape and large glass area were unusual compared with the three-box designs of the era.
The large amount of windows is one of the common criteria of all of the Tesla models.

- The Pacer's car width was equal to full-sized domestic vehicles at the time,
thus allowing using parts already in production and assembly lines from other models.
The size of the batteries also made the Tesla's width to be quite noticable.

- The Pacer was the first U.S. automobile design using the cab forward concept.
The cab forward concept is also typical of any Tesla, in particular the Model 3.

- The Pacer was designed to offer the interior room and feel of a big car
that drivers of traditional domestic automobiles at that time were accustomed to.
The market focused on interior size versus external dimensions is typical in modern cars.

- The low-drag design was highly innovative. In paticular windshield wipers were hidden and rain gutters were eliminated,
thus providing a smooth aerodynamic blending the tops of the doors into the roof.
This was criticized at the time, as it allowed rain onto the front seat,
but become the norm in today's designs, in particular with the Tesla Model X.

- It was the first U.S. small car to isolate the engine and suspension from the passenger compartment.
The entire front and rear suspension suspension were mounted on a crossmember isolated from the frame.
The indroducion of rack-and-pinion steering and wide track provided smooth and quiet ride,
compared to the traditional big barges, making easy to navigate through narrow city streets.

- Originally, the Pacer was designed for a Wankel rotary engine to take advantage of
the rotary's ultra-compact dimensions. This is also a common characteristic of electric engines.

AMC_Pacer_highway.jpg

Some AMC Pacers were converted to plug-in electric vehicles.
In particular Electric Vehicle Associates (EVA) of Cleveland converted over 100 units called EVA Change of Pace.

The EVA conversion was based on eighteen 6-volt lead–acid batteries, a 15 kW (20 hp) series DC motor,
with a stock three-speed automatic transmission. It weighed 3,990 lb (1,810 kg)
and reached 55 mph (89 km/h) with a 53-mile (85 km) range.
Regenerative braking is used in conjunction with the standard hydraulic brake system.

Later, a new version with twenty VARTA batteries housed in two-packs (front and rear),
with a 26 kW (35 hp) (at 3,000 rpm) motor, and the car was complete in every detail down to a gas heater
and hydraulically operated hybrid vehicle recharging system.

In a fully restored version, the original silicon-controlled rectifier (SCR) control was replaced with a modern controller
and the "hydraulically operated hybrid vehicle recharging system" was removed because of its lack of efficiency
to use compressed air from suspension travel to power a small generator to recharge the batteries.

450px-1978_AMC_EVA_Pacer_electric_wagon_at_2015_AMO_meet-9.jpg

A 21rst century design of the AMC Pacer, with batteries placed under the car, would make it an ideal afordable EV cruising car.

Last edited: