Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would cause date/time to stop working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I had my big service (and PEM repair) this summer, my date and time aren't working. They are frozen at Jan 1 1970 and the clock isn't progressing forward in time either (I can adjust the time but it never changes from where I set it). Any idea what would cause this problem?

My first guess would be that the way the car synchronizes time is screwed up so its defaulting back to the standard value of 1970 from boot. I don't know how they're synchronizing time, most likely by GPS so I'd make sure that's working or not working. You can verify this by the direction and elevation details on the VDS. The other way they could be syncing time is via NTP over the wireless phone home network that Tesla has on the 2.x's, but most likely they're doing the same thing as the 1.5 which would be GPS if that's how they implemented it.

Hmmm, it should synchronize time by using the GPS, but I don't think time would stop ticking when the GPS isn't locked (e.g. in the garage).

Is there a coin battery somewhere that needs to get replaced?

Anything in the logs?

I don't think that it synchronizes time at all. At least, mine periodically needs to be reset, and certainly has no idea about daylight savings time.

I also remember that I had a GPS antenna failure early on, and I don't remember a problem with the clock.

So, it's probably something else.

This exact thing happened to us in our newly purchased 2010 Roadster Sport 2 weeks ago. The clock and date were non-responsive. We took it to Tesla Service and they said "The vehicle's screen is not showing the correct time,date and direction. Performed resets of the VDS, VMS and instrument cluster. Information is still incorrect. Inspected GMS antenna and found it to be shorted." This required a new GPS receiver which was $403.31 and $300 labor to fix.

Some GPS / Time sync systems don't do the daylight savings time for the user, it keeps the seconds and minutes accurate and in sync. Its up to the user to define and switch daylight savings time as well as your region in order to have the hours display the correct data.

Many computer systems fall on their face if they boot up and can't find the correct time. The Jan / 1970 combination is a direct signature of this on a UNIX based embedded system. It's a bad design but we have to live with it on those types of systems.

The GPS must have been mucked up before they cut the power and replaced the PEM. Typically the system will remember the time it had before upon its last boot, but if the power was drained and the system booted failing to sync the time correctly due to GPS being broken, well then you'd have what we have here in this thread.

The APS was probably turned off during service, causing the date to reset. You need the GPS working to automatically set and keep the time and date. I ran my car a few months without the GPS antenna, and the system would always be reset to 1970 by the next day.

Since I had my big service (and PEM repair) this summer, my date and time aren't working. They are frozen at Jan 1 1970 and the clock isn't progressing forward in time either (I can adjust the time but it never changes from where I set it). Any idea what would cause this problem?

Weird, I'm having the exact same problem now on my 2.5 roadster. Had PEM service/cleaning and now VDS is stuck in a 70s' time warp of 1/1/1970

Think they upgraded the firmware as well.

I'll try a VDS reset procedure and see if that fixes it. Any other suggestions? I know they had a similar problem where they couldn't get it to sync right when they replaced my battery in Nov last year.

Somehow they fixed it and all was well but it took the Houston North SC technician a few days and LOTS of calls to Cali to figure it out.