Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would Cause You to Give Up on being part of FSD Beta Testing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...If you are a FSD beta tester, would you ever consider throwing in the towel and ask to be removed from the testing program? If so, what would cause you to quit?
Why would you want to be REMOVED. Just turn FSD Beta off in the Menu and don't use it. That way anytime you feel the urge are change your mind it is just a Switch away.

The phantom braking I experienced in classic AP is no longer happening with vision-only. These were overhead signs or bridges/overpasses that the radar thought was an obstruction on the highway. It would brake fairly hard and can be jarring.

I'm quite pleased this type of phantom braking is not happening for me anymore. But there are new situations that cause phantom braking, like when the car thinks a car in an adjacent lane might be drifting into your lane. While this is not ideal, at least the basis for the braking is not a false positive; it's more of a tolerance issue that can be refined with more training.

Interesting. In my 2017 Model S the frequent phantom braking is what makes me want to stop using AP altogether. It's annoying during the daytime, but absolutely maddening in frequency and severity at night. I'm going to try disabling the FSD Beta options and see if things get better.

Reactions: gaspi101
Why would you want to be REMOVED. Just turn FSD Beta off in the Menu and don't use it. That way anytime you feel the urge are change your mind it is just a Switch away.
One reason would be to get the regular software that everyone else gets. It will restore your radar functionality, if you have radar on your car. Turning FSD off won't. Another reason is that you might have to wait for new features to be added in FSD., that added to the regular software updates.,first.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Not sure radar functionality will be restored. Do you know that it will?

It's supposed to be all "pure vision" going forward. Maintaining two more branches on the code would create more bugs etc.
I understand the problems with reconciling radar and camera "realities", but suspect it was unwise to entirely nix radar.

I'm gradually getting more comfortable riding the Beta. No reason to use it non-stop and no reason to give it up.

After a few miles of testing with FSD Beta turned off, the phantom braking does not go away, so the software does not revert back to the pre-FSD Beta algorithms (radar?). I get phantom slowing, micro-braking, panic braking or just gentle slowing of several mph several times per minute at night, and at least once every mile or two during the day (highway driving).

I don’t have FSD Beta yet, but if I did and was able to disable it for city driving (like you can for Navigate on Autopilot on highways), the only reason I would drop out is if it made other features worse. For example, if the FSD Beta introduced new issues with highway driving that weren’t there with regular FSD, which I could see happening if FSD Beta disabled radar that regular FSD uses, I might drop out.

With my current Safety Score of 93, I won’t have to make that decision anytime soon. 🙁
You and me both....I thought my score of 88 was good. lol

You and me both....I thought my score of 88 was good. lol
I’m down to 90 now, so I don’t see FSD Beta in my future. I wish I had known that requesting the beta would stop you from getting software updates, because I might have passed. Opting out apparently doesn’t start the updates again. There’s another thread about that: FSD Beta Button....Now No Updates

Reactions: Mark2018s
I’m down to 90 now, so I don’t see FSD Beta in my future. I wish I had known that requesting the beta would stop you from getting software updates, because I might have passed. Opting out apparently doesn’t start the updates again. There’s another thread about that: FSD Beta Button....Now No Updates
I didnt know updates stop!! Or that you needed a 99/100 safety score (which is ridiculous)...what a clusterfk this is becoming.

Why not reset and get a score of 100 before this Friday ?

After a few miles of testing with FSD Beta turned off, the phantom braking does not go away, so the software does not revert back to the pre-FSD Beta algorithms (radar?). I get phantom slowing, micro-braking, panic braking or just gentle slowing of several mph several times per minute at night, and at least once every mile or two during the day (highway driving).
Have you tried doing the Camera Calibration again?

I ask because I was having massive issues with phantom braking where FSD Beta wasn't even usable. There were times I'd have to hold down the throttle a bit just to keep the darn thing from braking.

In a moment of desperation I did the Camera calibration option. I had been hesitant because I assumed it would take awhile, but it only took like 20-30min worth of driving or something like that.

Now it didn't completely eliminate phantom braking of the 3mph kind, but at least brought it down to less than insane levels.

Not worth the trouble. Until Tesla adjusts the sensitivity for what they consider hard braking and aggressive turning, I can’t drive normally and get a 100 anyway. Others have reported they started getting updates again after opting out, so I opted out a little while ago.

If anything they should reverse the hard braking and aggressive turning.

If you don't have more than 10% hard braking, and aggressive turning than you're just not ready for FSD Beta.

I hardly ever hard brake as much as the FSD Beta does where I'm like "We're coming in a bit fast, don't you think we should down?".

Reactions: Mark2018s
I suppose that had I not squeezed by with a 99 I'd be furious and resentful too. Especially since I lost my 100% on absurdly invalid grounds. But now that I'm using it, I suspect there's a correlation that the great AI in the sky had figured out. It goes something like this: If you can't handle the constraints and the sheer frustration of the damned Safety Scoring, you'll be too frustrated driving in Beta Street "FSD" ;)

Have you tried doing the Camera Calibration again?

I ask because I was having massive issues with phantom braking where FSD Beta wasn't even usable. There were times I'd have to hold down the throttle a bit just to keep the darn thing from braking.

In a moment of desperation I did the Camera calibration option. I had been hesitant because I assumed it would take awhile, but it only took like 20-30min worth of driving or something like that.

Now it didn't completely eliminate phantom braking of the 3mph kind, but at least brought it down to less than insane levels.
That’s exactly what my car is doing. I’ll try recalibrating. Thanks!

I'm starting to think that FSD Beta works much better in the Model 3 and Y than in the older S and X. It's quite unusable in our cars, other than get get some high-stress laughs at how the car keeps trying to kill us every 30 seconds or so.
I wouldn't say its unusable. I had an incredibly impressive no interaction drive last night in my MX. Even though I think there is something in the computer architecture(bussing? Ram? ) that is slower at least in my X. The wheel can be quite jerky in the beta-- to me means slower architecture. Especially parking lots, making turns, etc., though it is super smooth like a fkn laser in the NOA highway stack. The videos I see from the 3/Y, the wheel seems to be pretty smooth mostly. I believe on my X, it seems to have more of an issue figuring out mapping than before the beta download. Too much info now?

I doubt it's about your MX's computer. Youtube videos don't focus on boring car jerks. The jerkiness can be due to many different factors. I have a Midrange Model 3 and jerkiness is inevitable with indecision. It's terrifying at times, because in addition wide turns can reach the opposite lane. In situations with major road curvature, unclear or missing lines/markers, limited visibility range due to non-flat terrain, no amount of faster processing can help, because processing follows discovery, and discovery can only occur as the car/sensors move forward.

Wanna see jerky? Try this intersection on the way up, or on the way down. In the latter case today my wife squealed and nearly soiled the (whole) cabin. A human driver who's never driven here will also perform poorly.