TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What would happen if I cancel before confirming?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DuplexDianne, Apr 20, 2016.

1. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

would I lose my place in line? would it just delay my order? Still undecided on a few things..and down to the wire...proverbial last hour...

2. loganintx

loganintx Member

You would be cancelling your reservation and would have to get a new reservation which would shuffle you to the back of the line.

3. Dr ValueSeeker

Dr ValueSeeker Speaks the unfettered truth

There isn't much of a line. New orders are promised deliveries next month.

• Like x 1
  4. engle

engle Member

According to Tesla, they exited March at a build rate of 750 Model X per week:

Tesla Delivers 14,820 Vehicles in Q1 2016; On Track for Full-Year Delivery Guidance (NASDAQ:TSLA)

Since 75D's are now quoted with a July delivery, and the [P]90D's are both June:

Model X Design Studio | Tesla Motors

this implies their order backlog is at least 10 weeks of higher-priority [P]90D's and perhaps some 75D's, too. That's potentially 7,500 vehicles if the ramp remains steady at 750 X/week. So there does appear to be a line.

For Model S, all versions are showing June Delivery, which is at least ~6 weeks out from now.

5. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Considering that there are some Signature reservations holders that have not yet received their vehicles, I think it would be safe to assume that deliveries are not yet linear and predictable. Therefore, someone ordering today may get their vehicle before someone who ordered a few months ago.

If you have some doubts or questions that need to be answered prior to committing, I don't think there will be much of a penalty by cancelling now and re-ordering a few weeks later. It may delay your vehicle by a month (impossible to predict right now), but at least you'll have the peace of mind that you made the right choice(s).

6. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

Why not just not confirm? Leave your reservation and configuration saved, but don't place the order? My reservation languished in that state for about a month before I committed. And I only did so when a salesperson offered me a "factory production slot" that let me get mine a bit faster. I don't think they're going to cancel your reservation if you don't commit to it right away.

7. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

It is my understanding that confirming is placing your order, which occurred whilst I slept peacefully with my decision to move forward :)

8. Dr ValueSeeker

Dr ValueSeeker Speaks the unfettered truth

That's a big if. The ramp hasn't been steady in the past. The number from last week of quarter is hardly reliable. It appears, they shut down the line for a while to fix issues after the end of q1 rush. Is anyone's X being produced right now?

June could also mean June 1st. Then, subtract the quality check and transport time. If by train, that's 3-4 weeks just for transport. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that date will be stuck in June/Late June till very close to the quarter end.

• Like x 1
  9. Monkey

Monkey Member

...And I confirmed in January and have had a VIN for 10+ weeks and I'm now hoping to get delivery next month. Some people are being told June or later now. I wouldn't put much stock in the delivery estimates on the Design Studio. Some people have placed orders long after me and already have their cars. There are just too many factors at play here. Everything from your configuration, color, interior trim wood, even delivery region, all play a role in when the car is manufactured. Then there are delays with parts and supply or other issues. At this point for a new order, I don't think I'd be as concerned about the place in line. I think things will get rolling a lot faster in a few more weeks. More important for the OP to make sure they get their questions answered and order what they want so as not to incur the change fee later or find they can't change because the car has already entered production.

10. timf

timf Member

In this case, the poster had already placed the order, but they were just about to exit the 7 day waiting period during which you can still change or cancel your order without penalty. Reservations are meaningless at this point compared to placing a new order off the website aside from the fact that Tesla already has your deposit.

11. Ampster

Ampster Member

Yes, but not much of a line compared to when I made my deposit in May 2015 and there were 20,000 people ahead of me. Only random theory explains why I got VIN 18xx.