Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would happen if I hit Park while moving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
So this morning, while waiting at a red light, I intended to clean my windshield, but instead chose the wrong side and pushed in the 'park' button instead.
Made me wonder what would happen if I made the same mistake at full speed. Anyone?

• Helpful
Reactions: PACEMD
If you press it for just a split second, pretty much nothing. If you press and hold it for longer, brakes will be applied and the screen will display an emergency braking message. Nothing too dramatic though. Also, if you're travelling below 5 mph, then parking brake will be applied instead.
Basically the same for the Model S and X, as well. I haven't tested it in years, and the software has changed, but I wouldn't expect any drastic change. I tested this back in 2013, when I first bought a Tesla, so I would know what I could do as a passenger, should the driver be driving dangerously.

Since Teslas don't have a transmission and thus the drivetrain is never "locked", the Park setting simply engages the parking brake; pressing and holding P while moving will engage it similar to pulling the handbrake/parking brake in regular cars

Ever out driving on the freeway at 80 mph in your ICE vehicle and think.........I wonder what would happen if I shifted into park? Well, between you and me I don't advise it. Not to worry though, the tow truck should be here any minute..........

I did it once when I was young just while going a couple miles an hour (whatever creep got me up to) and the reaction was violent. I couldn't imagine what would happen at actual speeds.

Ever out driving on the freeway at 80 mph in your ICE vehicle and think.........I wonder what would happen if I shifted into park? Well, just between you and me I don't advise it. Not to worry though, the tow truck should be here any minute..........
And this is related to the question how? Park in a Tesla is just applies the same mechanical brakes that the brake pedal does. In a vehicle with a transmission it's an entirely different thing.

Occasionally, after driving my other vehicles, I try to spray the window, but instead try to put the car in park - I am getting old and slow and unable to adapt, I guess. Nothing happens (it just beeps at you), assuming you are going more than 5mph and you don't continue to hold it - otherwise (going more slowly) the jerk to a halt can be quite alarming.

Pushing the button also disengages Autopilot. But better to just press upwards on the shift stalk for that; no noises (as I recall).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal
Occasionally, after driving my other vehicles, I often try to spray the window, but instead try to put the car in park - I am getting old and slow and unable to adapt, I guess. Nothing happens (it just beeps at you), assuming you are going more than 5mph and you don't continue to hold it - otherwise (going more slowly) the jerk to a halt can be quite alarming.

Pushing the button also disengages Autopilot. But better to just press upwards on the shift stalk for that; no noises (as I recall).

does it also disable cruise control?