Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would it Take to Upgrade Your Current Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am struggling with this exact question...

Tesla has a Model S CPO 2015 P85D that is my perfect configuration... exactly how I would order it... and it is a great price... Right now I have a 2014 P85+ (Non AP) with just over 30K on the odometer and I have no idea what Tesla would offer for a trade in BUT.... If it is what I estimate it to be my payment would likely end up exactly the same as it is now (give or take)... the only down side of course is that i would be extending my payments back out another 2 years. In short that means that it would basically cost me about 18K to drive this current car for 2 years and I am starting over...

Positives...
  • Color and configuration is perfect (and unusual since I am one of the few people that love the titanium color).. my current car is pearl white which is not my first choice but the deal was too good to pass up and it has grown on me... LOL
  • Faster and a D (the D has no use to me in Las Vegas other than better traction)
  • AP1... which I don't think I would use that much but i like the dashboard look better
  • 16K miles...
  • No change to monthly costs....

Negatives
  • No range benefits in fact it is slightly less in the P85D
  • No + suspension which I love !!! (only early P85Ds has the + and this one's vin number starts with "88"
  • Cost is theoretically 18K in payments (starting over with the bank note)

Is going to a 2014 to a 2015 worth the extra costs? will I miss the + suspension? should i wait for some P90Ds to come on the market or maybe a refresh / AP2 version? (in no hurry)
I don't know!!! I have the Extended warranty on my current car so i am covered for another 4 years... my battery has literally no degradation (234 at 90%) and it is in great shape overall.

i am struggling with this exact question...

Tesla has a Model S CPO 2015 P85D that is my perfect configuration... exactly how I would order it... and it is a great price... Right now I have a 2014 P85+ (Non AP) with just over 30K on the odometer and I have no idea what Tesla would offer for a trade in BUT.... If it is what I estimate it to be my payment would likely end up exactly the same as it is now (give or take)... the only down side of course is that i would be extending my payments back out another 2 years. In short that means that it would basically cost me about 18K to drive this current car for 2 years and I am starting over...

Positives...
  • Color and configuration is perfect (and unusual since I am one of the few people that love the titanium color).. my current car is pearl white which is not my first choice but the deal was too good to pass up and it has grown on me... LOL
  • Faster and a D (the D has no use to me in Las Vegas other than better traction)
  • AP1... which I don't think I would use that much but i like the dashboard look better
  • 16K miles...
  • No change to monthly costs....

Negatives
  • No range benefits in fact it is slightly less in the P85D
  • No + suspension which I love !!! (only early P85Ds has the + and this one's vin number starts with "88"
  • Cost is theoretically 18K in payments (starting over with the bank note)

Is going to a 2014 to a 2015 worth the extra costs? will I miss the + suspension? should i wait for some P90Ds to come on the market or maybe a refresh / AP2 version? (in no hurry)
I don't know!!! I have the Extended warranty on my current car so i am covered for another 4 years... my battery has literally no degradation (234 at 90%) and it is in great shape overall.

Speaking for myself, not a chance. You're reducing mileage on the car by 14k and getting AP. Is that work $18,000? Plus the uncertainty of a used vehicle.

I have 75k on my early 2013 that had none of the later bells and whistles (ACC, folding mirrors) and still would not trade. I've worked through the major depreciation and bank note, now I get to enjoy (barring major repair work).

i have been convinced that the best thing to do is to wait it out for about 2 years.... and look for a used P100D... If I am going to upgrade for that type of cost then it should be to something that is more than negligibly different.. the P85D although faster and AWD has no + suspension so it is 2 steps forward and one step back... not enough of a net gain...

plus most of the depreciation is out of my car so it should gain a little more equity between now and then (ideally)

thanks for the advice...

There is nothing that would tempt me to upgrade my current Tesla. It is exactly the car I want. It is perfect for me. Totally, utterly, awesomely perfect.

I had a Rambler Rebel, an MGA, a Barracuda, a Tempest, a Fury, an MGB, a Jeep, a Civic, a Ramcharger, a 300ZX, a 300ZX Turbo, a Voyager, an Econoline, 2 Odysseys, a Camry, a BMW540, a BMW328 convertible.

Now I have a Tesla. I've finally found my car.

2014 P85+ paid for, got it appraised by Tesla @ $44K due to the high mileage (75,000). Looking for a used P100D in in the high $80s or low $90's. Then I realize the only gain is a beta AP and a couple of seconds drop in 0 to 60 for another car payment.... I'm with D.E. Nothing tempting me to move to another Tesla yet. Every other car I get into feels like a steam engine (sluggish, noisy, and just not fun to drive).

I'm happy with this bad boy - unless they come out with a real truck/suv that is baller or Bollinger Motor like - then one of those will be in my driveway...

Other cars I've had that just kinda suck compared to the Model S:
Dads: 1983 Toyota Land Cruiser - loved this car the most.. learned to drive stick on this one in Panama.

My wife and I have owned the following: VW 1979 Diesel Rabbit (48 HP) , 1984 VW Diesel Jetta (380K miles), 1986 Yamaha XJ-650J Maxim, 1987 Acura Integra, 1990 Mazda Protege, 1994 Mazda Miata, 1995 Yamaha FZR 1000, 1999 Dodge Caravan, 2001.5 Passat Wagon, 2002 Honda Interceptor, 2004 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2008 VW EOS, 2012 Toyota Sienna Limited, Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Limited, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Miata Grand Touring, 2013 Model S P85, 2014 Zero FX 5.7, 2014 Model S P85+, 2016 Model S 90D and currently reserved a Bollinger Motors SUT.

Last edited:
Great news for Model 3 owners - Tesla's Model 3 can now park itself with Summon feature.

Lets hope this means that we will see a refresh on the Model S with better tech and features then the Model 3.

I don't see enough of a difference in features to justify changing from my current MS to a new one at the moment.

Would be great if they could get rid of all that chrome on the MS and offer a black optic package like the European car manufactures do.

Black optic plus package
The available Black optic plus package provides a sporty, striking look. Complete with Red brake calipers, Piano Black inlays, and Red contrast stitching

What would it take to upgrade yours?
Let's see...

For a P100D with original cooled seats, lifetime supercharging, lifetime mobility -- there is no upgrade currently available from Tesla. In fact, everything is a downgrade except for mileage.

In fact, I might have the best Model S SKU ever to be offered.

For completeness though, the top few things that motivated me to upgrade from P85D were:
- +15 kWH battery capacity
- AP2 HW
- pre-purchase of FSD
- HEPA filter
- X-inspired seats (esp. bolstering without uncomfortable-for-passengers bolstering of NextGen)
- lifetime supercharging lever
- inventory discount

Reactions: aesculus
The original ventilated seats are back, except this time they work by blowing out verses sucking....

Hopefully they made the second gen ventilated seats more durable, as every used P100D with the original ventilated seats looks like Humpty Dumpty drives it everyday and deformed the seat cushion.

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 6.21.02 PM.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 34