Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would it Take to Upgrade Your Current Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am extremely happy driving my 2016 model S P90DL I am looking for a good or prudent excuse to support Tesla and get the latest and greatest. Upgrading a two or three-year-old car does not come cheap so for me it must be compelling. Currently the 10 kW bump in battery does not quite provide enough motivation to get me off the fence.

A combination of some or all of the following would probably do it though...Soft and automatic door mechanisms as in the X, a BMW like comfort seat, HUD, slightly more interior color choices, coat hooks, upgraded sound insulation, proper blind spot detection and a more elegant and functional armrest area with better smart phone integration. Even something as trivial as being able to see both battery percentage and distance remaining at the same time could be persuasive.

What would it take to upgrade yours?

Reactions: David99
My needs to upgrade my Model X have been met by the upgrades that Tesla has sent me free Via OTA updates.

It is now much faster whan when I bought it, has new self adjusting headlights and windshield wipers. Falcon wing doors open and close faster, computer runs faster, displays are vastly improved, Autopilot has gone from scary to enjoyable. Superchargers are popping up all over the place making traveling more enjoyable and more convenitent. More service and repair facilities than ever before.

Even some extra Easter Eggs have appeared to entertain me and my friends.

This is making me rethink my old ideas of trading in every 3 years of so for a new model.

The base goodness of the car remains and gets enhanced and refreshed every few months.

Prior to my Tesla I leased a Mercedes GLC for the wife in 2016. I had never leased before, we would keep our cars over 10 years. But as we get older we decided we want to have a New Car with New features/technology every 3 years. We plan to replace then GLC in 2019. However, in Sept 2017 I decided to BUY a Tesla thinking with OTA Updates I am getting New Technology without getting a New Car.

For me to replace my 2017 Tesla (after 3 years) they would have to have a major redesign of the Model S with a bigger battery at a reasonable cost (I do not do a lot of very long trips). I would prefer they offered a battery upgrade to my current 75D. Also, not sure how they will change the Model S where I would consider it a major upgrade. Sometimes car dealers will make changes for the sake of change and not really improve things. I may also replace the MCU Computer if the cost is reasonable. As long as Tesla allows for upgrades of the computer tech and battery I am sure I would keep this car for at least 5+ years. BTW.. I also got EAP/FSD so if new hardware required for FSD I expect Tesla to upgrade that for free.

For me I would need a bigger battery to skip a supercharger so that would probably have to be a 120 kWh? Not likely, and I am not really sure that would add that much value.

My biggest trip leg in one day is 500 miles in winter. If I could get a battery that only had me stop for 20 minutes once that would be awesome.

What kind of things are you looking for regarding inside improvements?
Better fit and finish, higher tech. More luxurious, more comfortable. Some interesting gadgets (eg. cadillac's illuminated steering wheel). Vents like M3. Cameras for mirrors.
I'm not a designer, so not good at coming up with ideas, but I know what I like when I see it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
For me it would have to be a fresh new Model S. I would like a new battery with much more range, more interior and exterior choices, more luxury but with the same barking mad performance. If the autopilot self drive was fully functional that by itself would push me to upgrade from ap1.

Exactly this for us too. We're going to be selling our current Model S by the end of this year and we would really like to get a new Model S, but it would have to have a significantly more luxurious interior and fresh exterior styling. Without that, we're going to be moving back to an ICE.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Love my 2014 P85DL. Even a complete interior refresh and full self driving wouldn’t be enough to upgrade. Plus, this was sort of a once in a lifetime purchase. Will keep it as long as Tesla offers replacement parts. Getting a Model 3 for the wife. That’ll satisfy my curiosity about EAP and FSD.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LoL Rick and P85_DA
Plan on keeping my late 16 90D S for a while, at least until my 4/6/7 yr old grow out of the rear facing seats, then I’d love to buy a 6 seat X for our primary car and keep my S my work/pleasure car. My wife and I share the S now, and our second car is a small 4x4 truck, which we plan on giving to kids in 10 yrs/low miles.... I think the new 2170 cells when packaged in sound really interesting, but suspect they will put 2170’s in with S and X once 3 is stable, and upgrade S first then the X next as they ramp the Y production... so honestly as much as the 3 P sounds awesome and I am sure it will handle more nimbly than my S, for my needs I will enjoy everyone’s experience with the 3, and save my $ for an X... as well as a solar set up and Powerwalls...

While I am extremely happy driving my 2016 model S P90DL I am looking for a good or prudent excuse to support Tesla and get the latest and greatest. Upgrading a two or three-year-old car does not come cheap so for me it must be compelling. Currently the 10 kW bump in battery does not quite provide enough motivation to get me off the fence.....

What would it take to upgrade yours?

Interior refresh
Dual CCS / Tesla charge port
Larger battery