Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you buy a used Model S right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only because I'm selling one...and having this discussion over and over!

Essentially for the same price you will get a 2012-13 with <50k miles and 4 year warranty or new with autopilot.

Mine is a P85, so the way I see it (and also considering just keeping it)
1. more cargo space
2. Rear jump seats
3. twin charging
4. Performance and wheels
5. 2 screens
6. leather/alcantara everywhere
7. opening panoramic roof.
8. hatchback (see number 1)
9. lifetime free supercharging
10. adjustable air suspension
11. power rear lift gate
12. cold weather package
13. Obeche wood trim.

More money. If I had a Model S, I'd need to have another reliable car for road trips. I know I'll get flamed for this, but long charging times, highway speeds killing battery range creating frequent stops, and crowded superchargers mean that to me, teslas are still city cars. For a tesla to be my only car, it would need to be able to recharge in about 10 minutes and have empty superchargers ready wherever I need one.

Same reason I might not buy the Model 3, although the lower cost leaves more money to buy a road trip ICE car.

>>
What would make you buy a used Model S right now?
Not only because I'm selling one...and having this discussion over and over!...

This is an easy one:

If my wife was to announce she was pregnant with twins (thru Quintuplets), Suddenly the idea of a larger car, with the highest safety ratings in the world, free fuel for life, at a great deal, all while not looking like a domesticated mini-van, would seem rather compelling.

The application of this theory, if I were in your shoes, might be to consider listing the car for sale via multi-child pregnancy venues?

Last edited:
Not only because I'm selling one...and having this discussion over and over!

If I were to buy another S, these would be the reasons:

1. more cargo space
4. Performance (not as important)
5. 2 screens
10. adjustable air suspension (not as important)
11. power rear liftgate (not as important)
12. cold weather package

Also, the interior seating size as well. It is a roomier car.

On the other hand, if I never had the model S before, I totally wouldn't get one since it just seem too big for my need. Now that I have it, me and my passengers all really enjoy it.

For me, picking Model S it's like picking a BMW 7 series over a 5 or 3 series. IF I had the choice, I would not pick the 7 series since it is just too big.

I have been guilty of shopping for the S...I just want to become a tesla owner and my budget is $45k. I've been very close to moving on a few.

...but at this point and after all this time...I can't justify making any moves until the second reveal.

Reactions: lukex4 and GSP
Nothing. The Model S is a heavy land yacht, and I have no interest in driving land yachts. Also the fact that based on what I've seen, an out-of-warranty Tesla is a ticking time bomb of headaches, empty wallets, and visits to the shop. I'll be leasing any car I obtain from Tesla.

Reactions: Lunarx
It is better if it has Panoramic glass skylight
新车8.jpg

One advantage of the original Model S is the dark plastic surround at the base and the nose cone. These materials don't have the frustration of paint chips and visible dirt on paint like the newer models. It's not significant, but has kept the older design looking sharp through the years. With software updates, a 2012 has a similar user interface as the 2017. The large frunk space with the RWD continues to amaze. Both my 2012 P85 and 2017 90D are great cars and it is a challenge to choose the one to keep when considering the cost to benefit ratio. I did purchase the extended warranty back in 2012.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I have been really looking as I don't really like the interior on the three. The recent deals on the earlier models is very tempting. However, I am really leaning very heavily towards AP2. Enough to spend significantly more. I have to drive a very stressful highway a couple of times a week so the idea of just getting in the right lane and cruising with traffic is very appealing. I'm also getting used to the idea of having a much bigger car and almost looking forward to it now.