Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you buy a used Model S right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on topic, trying to privately sell a used S is going to be tough because of the warranty. Tesla seems to be known for costly repairs and I think most would want that piece of mind.
Before I looked at your price I would have estimated it at $55-$60k last week. Even after they adjusted the warranty on used cars a couple days ago I would have still put it in the low $50's

Great feedback all! A few points:
Tesla believes the $7500 credits will be gone by December 2017. (from our Tesla rep here in PDX; from his recent M3 update meeting)
Second, assume you factor in the 4 year extended warranty. I totally get that; and though I've heard of repair outside warranty I also realize there isn't that much to go wrong...
Third, there is word from Tesla rep that there will not be a performance M3. If that matters to you.

I have a stong suspicion interest in used MS will pick up after the July reveals just how plain/simple the M3 needs to be for the price point.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
Back on topic, trying to privately sell a used S is going to be tough because of the warranty. Tesla seems to be known for costly repairs and I think most would want that piece of mind.
Before I looked at your price I would have estimated it at $55-$60k last week. Even after they adjusted the warranty on used cars a couple days ago I would have still put it in the low $50's

So you think priced too low? I am assuming any sane person would factor in buying the 4 year ext warranty.

I honestly cannot think of anything that would make me buy a used Model S. I seriously considered it... for about five minutes, until I realized how really huge that behemoth is. I guess if I fell for and married a woman with 4 or 5 kids, I'd choose a Model S, but in that case I'd probably buy a new one in order to get all the latest cool stuff. I'm waiting to see how big the Model 3 feels before I place my order, because even that may be too big for me. (I have a reasonably early reservation, but still need to make sure it's not too big.)

Okay, I thought of something: If Tesla Installed a supercharger in Castlegar, British Columbia. I drive through there on my way up to my summer hiking. I drive the stinker because the alternative would be 4 hours of charging at an RV park, and I'm not willing to make a 6-hour drive into a 10-hour drive. A supercharger would enable me to make that trip in a Tesla, and since the Model 3 is not yet available, I would buy a used Model S, and then trade it back for the Model 3 when that comes out, in order to make that drive on electric.

I think there might be a supercharger there eventually, but for me to buy a used Model S, that supercharger would have to be there before I can get the Model 3. At present I believe there are supercharger on the Trans-Canada Highway, but I'd need one between here (Spokane) and there.

Great feedback all! A few points:
Tesla believes the $7500 credits will be gone by December 2017. (from our Tesla rep here in PDX; from his recent M3 update meeting)
Second, assume you factor in the 4 year extended warranty. I totally get that; and though I've heard of repair outside warranty I also realize there isn't that much to go wrong...
Third, there is word from Tesla rep that there will not be a performance M3. If that matters to you.

I have a stong suspicion interest in used MS will pick up after the July reveals just how plain/simple the M3 needs to be for the price point.
There's no way the $7500 tax credit will be gone by December. Once Tesla sells their 200,000 vehicle in the US, we still get the full tax credit for the current and next calendar quarter. The only way the full credit would be gone by December is if they sold the 200,000 vehicle in Q2 2017.

... there is word from Tesla rep that there will not be a performance M3...

Didn't Elon give a specific timeline for the Performance version? One year (not sure from when, but still, giving a timeline means there will be one). They will lose a LOT of sales if they don't build a Performance version. And very few people will just buy a Model S on account of no P Model 3.

Nothing. The Model S is a heavy land yacht, and I have no interest in driving land yachts. Also the fact that based on what I've seen, an out-of-warranty Tesla is a ticking time bomb of headaches, empty wallets, and visits to the shop. I'll be leasing any car I obtain from Tesla.
Have you penciled out where you would be financially if you leased versus buying a Model S after three years. I'm guessing you would be better off to purchase and sell it in three years rather than to lease for three years.

Last edited:
Availability.

Being in the UK, and having waited much longer than promised for my UK launch S (2014), I'm once bitten twice shy. If the I-Pace comes before the RHD 3 in performance spec, Tesla will lose me as an existing customer. If both are looking delayed into 2019, I might trade up my non AP car for a newer CPO to hold me over.

Don't get e wrong, I like the S, but I've been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. Life's too short to swap one car for a slightly newer version of the same thing in my eyes. (If only the X did something for me).

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
At this point, I'm willing to wait for the configurator goes online before deciding. We are within 6 weeks of that happening, which is nothing.

The used Model S is tempting, but as others have mentioned it's just a big car. Ideally, I'd like to compare it with the Model 3 before deciding between the two but not sure that will be viable.

A world of advice:

If you want a used model S wait until next year. Tesla is going to be flooded with returns from 2015. Those cars will have AP10. There are a lot of leases that took place in 2015 (a lot more than 2014).

A bloodbath is coming in the used car market. Some analysts are predicting a 50 percent crash in used car prices over the next 2 years. There are far too many cars that are leased. I forgot the number of cars that are going to be returned in the next 2 years but it is staggering.

Again, be patient. Tesla will have no other choice but to massively discount the cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Hixson and Lunarx
Unfortunately even an 85kWh Model S must have a lot of features to achieve feature parity with the Model 3, because Autopilot Hardware 2 represents at least a $10k price difference in my book compared to AP1, and a $20k difference for a Model S without any AP. Bare minimum for me is AP1 to get the safety features like automatic emergency braking. Model S premium features don't mean much to me except for the enhanced safety of it being a larger car, which for me I would value at $5k.
So, $35k for a 60kWh Model S with AP 1 is something I would spring on, assuming at least 4 years of powertrain warranty were remaining.
$40k for an 85kWh Model S with AP 1.
$50k for an 85kWh Model S with AP 2.

But that's just me. Obviously people are buying used Model S vehicles at prices higher than this. This is only because I expect to get at least $5k tax credit on my Model 3 reservation, and spring for the 75kWh battery. (Likely activate AP2 features later.)

Its going to come down to how many comfort features are going to be removed from the base/originally released version. If the model 3 doesn't come with memory seats, I'll have to pass. I know its such a small thing but it drives me crazy since my wife and I share a car now that doesn't have the feature.
By the way the Bolt lacks that feature as well.....

***I reserve the right to back peddle any time***

I doubt first shipments will be strippers. I suspect the opposite. Think about it they have Tesla customers first in line. Those guys are not going to buy strippers.

All I hope is we won't have to buy overpriced wheels like those 21 inch wheels on the model S. Those really suck. Just those tires alone can easily wipe out any gas savings.

Unfortunately even an 85kWh Model S must have a lot of features to achieve feature parity with the Model 3, because Autopilot Hardware 2 represents at least a $10k price difference in my book compared to AP1, and a $20k difference for a Model S without any AP. Bare minimum for me is AP1 to get the safety features like automatic emergency braking. Model S premium features don't mean much to me except for the enhanced safety of it being a larger car, which for me I would value at $5k.
So, $35k for a 60kWh Model S with AP 1 is something I would spring on, assuming at least 4 years of powertrain warranty were remaining.
$40k for an 85kWh Model S with AP 1.
$50k for an 85kWh Model S with AP 2.

But that's just me. Obviously people are buying used Model S vehicles at prices higher than this. This is only because I expect to get at least $5k tax credit on my Model 3 reservation, and spring for the 75kWh battery. (Likely activate AP2 features later.)
Some may say mobileye is worth $10k

I doubt first shipments will be strippers. I suspect the opposite. Think about it they have Tesla customers first in line. Those guys are not going to buy strippers.

All I hope is we won't have to buy overpriced wheels like those 21 inch wheels on the model S. Those really suck. Just those tires alone can easily wipe out any gas savings.

Actually, they have employees first in line, and many of them will probably be getting the cheapest version. These are people likely to be in love with the electric drivetrain, who could not afford a Model S, and will need to settle for the least expensive one they can get. Even that will probably be a stretch for some of them.

Maybe they'll turn out the base version for the employees, then switch to the version with all the early-available options before going back to the base version for people who want that.