Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with a relative who rode in my S and was interested in putting down a deposit on a Model 3.

Until she saw the floating center screen, that was such a turn off she is no longer interested in the car.

Floating center screen dash is going to go down as Obvious Mistake that killed Tesla.
I dont think it will kill tesla, but it will scare off many potential customers.

Tesla's assumption that people who want electric motors also want cars packed with super high tech gadgets and interiors is flawed.

Tesla's assumption that people who want electric motors also want cars packed with super high tech gadgets and interiors is flawed.
You consider the Model 3 interior "super high tech gadgets and interiors" o_O

I like the simplicity and elegance of the Model 3 interior, personally, and I don't believe it to be a mistake on the part of Tesla much like I don't think the lack of buttons on a modern cell phone is a mistake.

Reactions: EinSV
Leaving aside the questions about Model 3's features or lack thereof (which will also be necessary to resolve) --
I have a Model S on lease ending September 2018. So I might cancel if the Model 3 cost, equipped as I would want it, is not sufficiently low enough to seem like a better value than buying my leased Model S. Obviously "better value"would take into account my perception of the value of any differences in features and capability as well as the mileage and condition of the Model S.

Reactions: internalaudit
I'd cancel if Apple buys Tesla.

But just think of what Elon could do with all that Apple money.

So I think I'm at the point that the interior/dashboard aren't going to cut it for me. If it stays with the "iPad on a stick" dashboard and we don't see any improvements over the prototype interior, I'm probably out. It's pushing me to the more expensive option, which is exactly what Elon says they want to do.

I am concerned after listening to a podcast that the starting price will not be 35k. The assumption might be that 35k is the price after Tesla Math which includes subtracting off the price of the tax credit and possibly gas savings.

We have seen this also with statements about the Tesla Roof being cheaper than a normal roof. That means you pay way more upfront and electricity savings bring it lower. If you had to finance said roof the savings are lost and the roof costs more.

I still am hope by the starting price is truly 35k base and the tax credit and gas savings will make it even more compelling. If the car starts at 42.5k with cloth seats that will be a hard pill to swallow.

I am concerned after listening to a podcast that the starting price will not be 35k. The assumption might be that 35k is the price after Tesla Math which includes subtracting off the price of the tax credit and possibly gas savings.

We have seen this also with statements about the Tesla Roof being cheaper than a normal roof. That means you pay way more upfront and electricity savings bring it lower. If you had to finance said roof the savings are lost and the roof costs more.

I still am hope by the starting price is truly 35k base and the tax credit and gas savings will make it even more compelling. If the car starts at 42.5k with cloth seats that will be a hard pill to swallow.
No worries, the price will start at $35K or else it'll be a PR nightmare and everyone knows it.

From the very beginning, way back in early 2015, they have said the $35K was before incentives. For them to change it now would be a nightmare, like @JeffK said. Sure they could probably get away with an increase of a few hundred or even up to $999, but any more than that and they'll take a lot of heat.

• Informative
Reactions: ummgood and JeffK
No worries, the price will start at $35K or else it'll be a PR nightmare and everyone knows it.

From the very beginning, way back in early 2015, they have said the $35K was before incentives. For them to change it now would be a nightmare, like @JeffK said. Sure they could probably get away with an increase of a few hundred or even up to $999, but any more than that and they'll take a lot of heat.

Thank goodness! I would probably cancel if the cost was after the incentive.

You consider the Model 3 interior "super high tech gadgets and interiors" o_O

I like the simplicity and elegance of the Model 3 interior, personally, and I don't believe it to be a mistake on the part of Tesla much like I don't think the lack of buttons on a modern cell phone is a mistake.
The S and X are packed with unnecessary gadgets. The M3's single ipad screen approach is just a bad design choice. Nothing is wrong with simple and elegant, but the M3 interior is aggressively revolutionary, and that aggression is going to alienate some buyers, resulting in lost sales and more C02 emissions, the thing that musk is supposedly trying to fix.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and AlanSqB
I dont think it will kill tesla, but it will scare off many potential customers.

Possible outcome:

Fossil fuel interests feeling threatened decide this is a good time to strategically spend a couple of hundred million to beat up Tesla/EVs

Spend their money on influencing the automotive press, pop culture, reviews and bloggers, viral media.

"iPad on a selfie-stick" car gets hammered in the press / pop culture

People will get sick of every Tesla conversation being about the floating iPad

Buying a 3 won't be exciting because you know people are going to harass you about buying "that goofy ipad stick car".

We saw something similar happen with the Pinto/Aztec/Edsel/Yugo, with pushbutton transmissions, with any number of "unique" autos.

Tesla bet their future on the 3. I don't know that they can survive a poor Model 3 showing, and there is a lot of money sitting on the sidelines interested in seeing Tesla fail.. and they are waiting for a slip up to strike.

See link below..

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-worst-new-trend-in-car-interior-design-1564314503

Last edited:
Reactions: slipnslider
The S and X are packed with unnecessary gadgets. The M3's single ipad screen approach is just a bad design choice. Nothing is wrong with simple and elegant, but the M3 interior is aggressively revolutionary, and that aggression is going to alienate some buyers, resulting in lost sales and more C02 emissions, the thing that musk is supposedly trying to fix.
I don't think there's currently a shortage of buyers. Note that the vast majority of reservations came after the interior was revealed.
Once people experience a ride in one from friends or neighbors they will want one too. Just wait....

Reactions: AlanSqB
Time will tell, but I've already set my mind to "getting used to it" because I have a strong hunch that is the direction all car interior controls will go over the next 10 years. I like the integration better in the Model S over what I've seen with the Model 3, but if it comes down to being easily able to reach the screen/interface with the vehicle I'll take the floating screen thank you very much!