Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually think the new battery tech which will soon enable the batteries to last twice as long is a great reason to cancel your early m3 reservation. If that tech isn't in the first gen of M3s, their resale value is going to get killed when those new batteries appear in cars.
No one is claiming cells for Model 3 will last twice as long...

Jeff Dahn recently described some research which may later be implemented in NMC batteries for Tesla Energy products like Powerwall. This has nothing to do with NCA batteries for EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I casually mentioned out expectations of a 300-mile range earlier, but it really is a deal-breaker the more I think about it. Using a rough approximation of the S85 range/speed chart, extended driving at highway speeds would bring the nominal range down to 220 miles or so. Multiplying that by 80% to allow only for fast supercharging brings it down further to 175 miles - which would go even lower depending on temperature and other factors.

So at best, that caps road trips at around 350 miles with one supercharger stop in the middle. I wouldn't have the patience to constantly re-charge on trips longer than that. I realize long range trips aren't the best use of EVs at this moment, but it goes to the issue of flexibility for me. Running that same calculation for the base model range would yield something like 120 miles

Reactions: slipnslider
Just got off the phone with a relative who rode in my S and was interested in putting down a deposit on a Model 3.

Until she saw the floating center screen, that was such a turn off she is no longer interested in the car.

Floating center screen dash is going to go down as Obvious Mistake that killed Tesla.

Really! Why not wait until you see how the center screen works before such a harsh statement that it will kill Tesla?

Reactions: DR61
A panel mounted in a car like a static LCD monitor stand-mount is prone to vibration more so than one that is properly integrated to dash - this goes down to principles of physics. Having said that however, I am slowly coming to the realization that the screen might actually remain floating in the Model 3. I reckon this is something we will have to accept. I just hope the contraption does not vibrate on rough road surface - vibration movement and noise will look very cheap in a premium car. Not going to cancel because of this though :)

static LCD monitor stand-mount is prone to vibration more so than one that is properly integrated to dash - this goes down to principles of physics.
Well, it is pretty good engineering exercise for young engineer with 1-3 years of practice.
Oscillation amplitude depends on weight of that LCD panel, dimensions of the stand, stiffness of material used for that stand, some moments and the some dimensions. Trust me, Tesla can handle that;)

Reactions: Petra