Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never liked AAA. They seem to think that they need to defend oil companies and oppose environmental regulations for the benefit of drivers. Even when I was driving a gas car (which I still do on my annual road trip, which takes me on secondary roads where there are no superchargers) I didn't/don't want the planet turned into a polluted pile of filth.

Mad Max has nothing to do with reality. It's another dystopian world movie, like zombies or the terminator. Fun to watch but not a guide for survival. After a nuclear war there will be no car factories, no solar-panel factories, no electric grid, no gasoline refineries, no food production, no roads on which to drive a car. During the brief period before the radiation has killed everyone not vaporized in the blasts, there will be utter chaos and looting of the meager remaining food. So if there is a nuclear war and I am not in the initial blast zone, I won't bother to cancel my reservation.
Yeah anyone who thinks their choice of vehicle will help them in a nuclear apocalypse is wrong.
Even an underground bunker will only extend your life by a few months or years. All the preppers and survivalists will discover how truly dependent we are on each other when the fabric of society is gone.
If the nukes go off, everybody dies. It's just a question of how much suffering you're going to do before you join them.
I wish we had a president who understands this.
If you want to see a realistic portrayal of nuclear aftermath, read or watch THE ROAD. Surviving a nuclear attack is worse than dying in one.

• Informative
Reactions: CTreast
^ It's likely going to get worst with the M3 since leasing/financing and the government incentives puts it within many households' reach and the the bigger the driver base, the more chances reckless drivers become part of the demographics.

I concur that it's too expensive to repair Telsa's (parts, very few shops, and maybe other reasons) and good thing that guaranteed value upon lease return is history.

The automotive industry will be catching up soon. In 2019/20, 0-60 acceleration and 215+ mile range alone will not cut it for BEVs.

Heck, I don't mind a 7 sec. 0-60 if the BEV will be quite reliable.

Here are a few for me along with my weighted metric for each.

Interior (keep in mind that I'm 6'6" and at this point in life I'm done with contorting into a driving position):

- Head hits the roof - 100% probability
- My knee or leg hits the center mounted screen - 100% probability
- Materials / build quality is less then what the S/X have today (I'm not talking features, I'm talking about material, fit and finish) - 75% probability

Exterior:

- Fit, finish, quality (some might say I have a gift of spotting paint, gaps and other flaws) - 50% probability
- The Silver paint color option shown on the alpha’s is not an option - 45% probability
- The 20” wheel option with low profile tire / carbon fiber center cap in not an option - 30% probability

Driving dynamics:

- AWD not offered AND configurable with delivery estimate before the full US Fed tax incentive has been expired - 90% probability
- Under 275 mile range on speculated 75kw cell - 90% probability
- 0-60 time over 4.5 seconds on a AWD/ 75kw cell (non-P variant) - 70% probability
- AP2.0 has not reached a mostly full autonomy state - 50% probability

Other:

- 75D, paint, upgraded wheel option, pano glass is over $45k - 95% probability
- Having to wait another 6-8 months when production starts to configure, or a delivery estimate more then 1 year from today - 85% probability
- AP 2.0 cost more then $5k - 60% probability
- Slow roll on upgrading super charger and service center network - 60% probability
- Unexpected / undisclosed final reveal twists - x% probability

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Here are a few for me along with my weighted metric for each.

Interior (keep in mind that I'm 6'6" and at this point in life I'm done with contorting into a driving position):

- Head hits the roof - 100% probability
- My knee or leg hits the center mounted screen - 100% probability
- Materials / build quality is less then what the S/X have today (I'm not talking features, I'm talking about material, fit and finish) - 75% probability

Exterior:

- Fit, finish, quality (some might say I have a gift of spotting paint, gaps and other flaws) - 50% probability
- The Silver paint color option shown on the alpha’s is not an option - 45% probability
- The 20” wheel option with low profile tire / carbon fiber center cap in not an option - 30% probability

Driving dynamics:

- AWD not offered AND configurable with delivery estimate before the full US Fed tax incentive has been expired - 90% probability
- Under 275 mile range on speculated 75kw cell - 90% probability
- 0-60 time over 4.5 seconds on a AWD/ 75kw cell (non-P variant) - 70% probability
- AP2.0 has not reached a mostly full autonomy state - 50% probability

Other:

- 75D, paint, upgraded wheel option, pano glass is over $45k - 95% probability
- Having to wait another 6-8 months when production starts to configure, or a delivery estimate more then 1 year from today - 85% probability
- AP 2.0 cost more then $5k - 60% probability
- Slow roll on upgrading super charger and service center network - 60% probability
- Unexpected / undisclosed final reveal twists - x% probability

Very detailed and informative.

What cars are you driving right now? I will also opt for AWD and glass roof ( not sure if that is already a pano) but am content with the smaller battery. If delivery is not expected until June 2018 when government incentive potentially disappears, I too will not proceee with ordering. I will just wait for other 200+ mile BEVs to come to market and decide.

I don't mind something lacking uber coolness as long as it is more reliable, easily serviced and cheap to maintain (except for drive train unit which may need dealership servicing) after the warranty ends.

Funny, I had a very early reservation on the day of the unveil, but I canceled because I was led to believe I would lose my place in line if I didn't order the base model when the reservation came due (I want the AWD performance model). Now I'm hearing reservation holders will just be able to defer until the model they want is released.

Needless to say I'm pissed off. I should have just kept it to see what would have happened...

Funny, I had a very early reservation on the day of the unveil, but I canceled because I was led to believe I would lose my place in line if I didn't order the base model when the reservation came due (I want the AWD performance model). Now I'm hearing reservation holders will just be able to defer until the model they want is released.

Needless to say I'm pissed off. I should have just kept it to see what would have happened...
Who said that you would lose your place?

New possible reason to cancel - I find out my insurance company is going to raise my rates for driving the M3, a safer car.

If insurance rates totally eliminate your fuel savings, it's going to prevent a lot of sales.

Do not buy an EV for fuel savings. The amount you save is trivial for most people.

Say you are .12 a kWh. And 4 mi per kWh out of the wall. Typical 14k mil a year. That's $420 dollars of electricity per year.

Or buy a 40 mpg ICE with $3 a gallon gas. That's $1050.

So $630 savings a year, right? Hey, that's nice! Wait. Cost of capital rears it's ugly head.

$12,600 dollars with a ROI of 5% generates the same $630. So depending on what economy car you buy, you could actually lose money by driving an EV.

Buy an EV because it's a superior drivetrain, and better driving experience. Or save the whales, whatever. But don't buy one because somebody lied to you about significant operational cost savings. They currently (har) do not exist.

I did that with my $120k Model X. Never ever sat in a Tesla prior to getting a Tesla...just had faith in Elon!

Wow, that's some serious faith indeed.

I would never ever buy a car (Tesla or otherwise) without having thoroughly test-driven it before. After all, it's the second largest purchase (after a house) one usually makes in ones lifetime (at least over here). So there.

Who said that you would lose your place?

Never trust the internet...

First I've heard anything of the nature. I would be pissed at myself for giving up that spot. You may actually be able to flip an early car for profit. Ship it some place at the back of the line.

Just bought a BMW S1000RR.... That is technically our 3rd vehicle between just my wife and I... Not sure how the Model 3 will fit into our vehicle situation now...

I'll keep the reservation just for kicks though. A lot can change in 2 years.

This is what an S1000RR is btw... so sexy....

2017-bmw-s1000rr-review-26.jpg