Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For myself, I wanted AWD but I will opt for RWD if it means I can be sure to avail of our provincial EV incentive of about $10k USD that could disappear if the opposition gets elected in June 2018.

Definitely not going to cancel my reservation until after the production models roll off the assembly lines and only if there are major quality control issues that I'm sure majority of Tesla and SpaceX employees will not be willing to divulge to the public.

Even if the interior is bland and only comes with a single Ipad Pro, I'm really fine with that, hopefully it can be disconnected for use out of the car though I'm still thinking that touch screen will be embedded just like it is in the Model S.

Any reasons for you to cancel once the production models come rolling off the lines?

There was a video out yesterday (or pics actually) that showed the production model (first run) and shows the screen not embedded... If by embedded you mean in to the dash like the Model S... Thats a big deal to me. It wont make me cancel, but I wish they would put it in to the dash, it looks so much better... I get why they are doing it though. For 35k, they need a quick easy way to replace those types of parts, but if its embedded in the dash, it would be harder.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
For me - what does the final interior look like. Yes I expect it maybe not be as nice as every other $35k car - something has to be done somewhere to offset the battery price but it has to be someplace I want to spend time sitting. I also want to know when they say "fewer features" what does that really mean. Again - I don't expect a Model S but I expect an awesome 35k car - I have to admit I'm not too sure anymore the Model 3 will be that but I'm waiting to see.

I think the competition may make me cancel, though not immediately. I see no reason to not sit on the reservation for the time being, but with a sedan trunk instead of a hatch, the lack of instrument cluster or HUD, and all the anti-selling giving a rather break picture of the car, it is hard to see excited at this time. Hence things like the I-Pace capture more of my imagination at this time. If a better competitor comes along (I don't care about Supercharging), I will consider that instead.

I'm in no hurry to decide anything, this is just very early-days musings about replacing a second ICE with a BEV...

There was a video out yesterday (or pics actually) that showed the production model (first run) and shows the screen not embedded... If by embedded you mean in to the dash like the Model S... Thats a big deal to me. It wont make me cancel, but I wish they would put it in to the dash, it looks so much better... I get why they are doing it though. For 35k, they need a quick easy way to replace those types of parts, but if its embedded in the dash, it would be harder.

The M3 dash is too low to imbed the screen. I think it is impossible to thoroughly judge the raised screen design without sitting in the driver's seat.

Would love worthy competition but at this pace I cannot see any worthwhile alternative to Tesla in the next few years - quite certain even if there were to be, real competition will most likely not come from current ICE car manufacturers.

• Informative
I'm budgeting around $50k (+/- a few k) for a D model with upgraded battery. I would consider canceling my res if

* A CPO D model S refresh w/ext. warranty could be had for less (60/75 battery acceptable) than the 3 after any tax rebates
* Any combo of the CO state and Fed rebates totaled less than $5k (currently $5k for CO and $7500 for fed)

• Informative
Would love worthy competition but at this pace I cannot see any worthwhile alternative to Tesla in the next few years - quite certain even if there were to be, real competition will most likely not come from current ICE car manufacturers.

The new leaf will be a competitor. But there won't be a true competitor until travel charging is sorted out.

I forgot the all new Leaf will be coming out in September.

Hyundai and Kia Ioniq and Niro in 2018.

Not much competition while the rebates and incentives are still intact for most of us. :(

Reliability will be the main criteria for me when deciding whether we will go for the future Y too (wife has gotten the SUV itch lately).

cb0d0027e934e36c3216c41275302104.jpg

The M3 dash is too low to imbed the screen.
Yes, this should be immediately obvious to anyone looking at the dash. People are still to this day posting their thinking that it will magically change to be integrated in some "final" version. If Telsa does this radical change, then visibility is reduced.. Period. However, visibility was one of their design goals - Tesla wanted to take advantage of what advantages an EV can afford and a large front windshield was one of the design goals.

I think it is impossible to thoroughly judge the raised screen design without sitting in the driver's seat.
I agree with this but I also think that being "thorough" in this case is hardly required for a potential buyer to make an adequate assessment of design. It's a matter of taste - we all have different tastes. A protruding screen can have a great UI, a revolutionary UI, but it's still a protruding screen after all.

Anyone who is expecting the interior of a "$35,000 car" is going to be disappointed. The cost of the car goes towards the battery. Remember you're buying it because it's a long range EV that will be fun to drive and it's made and sold by Tesla-- not because it has the most luxurious interior you can find for the price.
I agree with the battery costs cutting into the luxury features. But it's as if you're saying that being fun to drive will make up for how it holds up against the competition. How could it be more fun to drive than any other $35,000 car in that price range?

So far nothing I've seen is a deal-breaker for me. It would be hard to take the federal tax rebate hit if I decided to go AWD (6-9 months from July could axe the $7,500 in half), but either way I'm getting a 3. I'd love to get an S instead but I seriously can't justify the price. Just not an option unless rich old Aunt Gertrude kicks it. Neither is the clown car Bolt. I'd like to go down the street with some dignity.

So far nothing I've seen is a deal-breaker for me. It would be hard to take the federal tax rebate hit if I decided to go AWD (6-9 months from July could axe the $7,500 in half), but either way I'm getting a 3. I'd love to get an S instead but I seriously can't justify the price. Just not an option unless rich old Aunt Gertrude kicks it. Neither is the clown car Bolt. I'd like to go down the street with some dignity.

So you'd be cool with a Hello Kitty! interior? ;)