Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would/will you pay for heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd have paid just about anything for a heated steering wheel when I lived in North Dakota and mornings were often -29C (20 degrees below zero Fahrenheit), and sometimes -34C (30 below).

Here in Maui, nope, wouldn't pay for it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Other than the poster above talking about North Dakota (or similar) I’ve never understood the number of people who seem to think this is even vaguely desirable. Only once have I had a car with a heated wheel, a Cadillac I had in Southern California so you can imagine how much use it got.

like the auto boot. It’s there so I’ll use it but if it was missing I don’t think it would keep me up at night

Reactions: 98dizzard
I think the voice commands for heating steering wheel refer to the Model S which I believe used to include a heated steering wheel. So that’ll be aimed at older cars too. Same reason it’s been a data point in the API for a few years.

Didn’t someone on here (US thread) have the part number for new steering wheel and was looking to get it. Kinda like the new trim/console/USB-C.

I think I'd pay £300 if it involved a physical change of steering wheel, probably £50-100 to enable if it was already fitted.

Other than the poster above talking about North Dakota (or similar) I’ve never understood the number of people who seem to think this is even vaguely desirable. Only once have I had a car with a heated wheel, a Cadillac I had in Southern California so you can imagine how much use it got.

I'm so happy that you don't understand why lots of people might want a heated wheel.

Those of us who have medical conditions that give us poor circulation, so end up with blue hands even in quite warm weather feel your pain, but cannot understand why so many people want air conditioning.

:rolleyes:

I paid £195 for the heated wheel in my current Jaguar, so I’m obviously happy to pay that much. The heated wheel and heated screen are two things I’m definitely going to miss in my M3P. [1]

And before someone says “but you can preheat the car”, I can preheat the Jag as well, but the wheel tends to still be cold, and preheating doesn’t cover the times when you just need to jump in and go.

[1] Well, I’m also going to miss adaptive headlights, proper 360 surround cameras, opening panoramic roof and cooled seats, but you can’t have everything!

I think I'd pay £300 if it involved a physical change of steering wheel, probably £50-100 to enable if it was already fitted.

I'm so happy that you don't understand why lots of people might want a heated wheel.

Those of us who have medical conditions that give us poor circulation, so end up with blue hands even in quite warm weather feel your pain, but cannot understand why so many people want air conditioning.

:rolleyes:
This is true, for me, not so important, for my dad it could be useful. Although the car itself being nice and warm would be the most important for him I think, but he did like the idea of a heated steering wheel, despite never having one.

This is true, for me, not so important, for my dad it could be useful. Although the car itself being nice and warm would be the most important for him I think, but he did like the idea of a heated steering wheel, despite never having one.

Yes, I'm hoping that the ability to pre-prepare the cabin will make up the difference or at least offset it sufficiently that it's not a problem.

Then again, with no instrument binnacle in the way the air from the vent could also be of more use as it can be directed exactly where I need it. I guess I'll find out in due course :)

Yes, I'm hoping that the ability to pre-prepare the cabin will make up the difference or at least offset it sufficiently that it's not a problem.

Then again, with no instrument binnacle in the way the air from the vent could also be of more use as it can be directed exactly where I need it. I guess I'll find out in due course :)

Air blowing straight on my hands sounds nice in winter when it's blowing hot, but awful when it's blowing cold. Circulation issues run in the family.

However I wouldn't pay much, preheating the car and instant heat in winter will cover most of my need. I'm not a huge fan of hardware being installed but being unlocked after with subscriptions or extra fees. Its a bit like micro-transactions on computer software. I make an exception for FSD, partly because it's has ongoing costs, but I don't think it's worth its current price based on its functionality.

I paid £195 for the heated wheel in my current Jaguar, so I’m obviously happy to pay that much. The heated wheel and heated screen are two things I’m definitely going to miss in my M3P. [1]

And before someone says “but you can preheat the car”, I can preheat the Jag as well, but the wheel tends to still be cold, and preheating doesn’t cover the times when you just need to jump in and go.

[1] Well, I’m also going to miss adaptive headlights, proper 360 surround cameras, opening panoramic roof and cooled seats, but you can’t have everything!
I’m guessing you won’t miss the running costs though, or the sluggish performance for that matter ;)

Reactions: Ben177