Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would/will you pay for heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It either does not exist (yet), or its not in the parts catalogue yet. Laminated front door glass is already in the parts catalogue, but only one steering wheel body currently listed - same part listed for Model Y except slightly later revision. So, imho, it would be odd if some 2021 features were available, but not others.

I did have to log in and it could have limited my selection making the assumption that I was looking for the vehicle in my account, but it also lists the October 2020 onwards centre console so that is unlikely to be the case.

https://epc.tesla.com/

upload_2020-12-5_10-36-2.png

Last edited:
I have wanted a heated steering wheel since I got my first car 34 years ago.

When heated seats became popular, I just did not get it. Still don't. Why would any car factory install heated seats, but not a heated steering wheel? The steering wheel is the only part of the car, which comes in direct contact with your bare skin during the winter, so of course this should be the first priority for heating. Also, steering wheel heating is probably much cheaper in production than seat heating.

I have wanted a heated steering wheel since I got my first car 34 years ago.

When heated seats became popular, I just did not get it. Still don't. Why would any car factory install heated seats, but not a heated steering wheel? The steering wheel is the only part of the car, which comes in direct contact with your bare skin during the winter, so of course this should be the first priority for heating. Also, steering wheel heating is probably much cheaper in production than seat heating.

^ This!

Even when I lived in North Dakota I would not have used heated seats. My bum doesn't get cold. My hands got cold. (Not any more :) but back then.)

I've just posted on the 2021 differences mega thread that the manufacturing code for the steering wheel has changed, but its gone back to the version the US started with (ie pre 2020). I think that also points to it not being heated.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
The model 3 heated steering wheel has just popped up on Chinese built cars along with a few other interior tweaks (not sure about the wood on the doors) Tesla updates Model 3 with new design accent and heated steering wheel - Electrek
I’d like to see what, if any, difference there is in the UI that lets you turn the steering wheel heater on and off. If it’s something that just comes on when you turn the climate on (which is what I think happens on the Model S?) then it could in theory be something that can be retrofit simply by buying the new wheel?

Although I guess there is a signal wire much like the electrochromic wing mirrors.

Fingers crossed.

I’d like to see what, if any, difference there is in the UI that lets you turn the steering wheel heater on and off. If it’s something that just comes on when you turn the climate on (which is what I think happens on the Model S?) then it could in theory be something that can be retrofit simply by buying the new wheel?

Although I guess there is a signal wire much like the electrochromic wing mirrors.

Fingers crossed.

Signal and/or power.

A retrofit option will depend on those being available through your existing wiring harness and if they can be easily added if not.

But as you say, fingers crossed.

Reactions: Durzel
Tesla changed the harness for the wing mirrors even though they could just as easily kept it as is and left the extra wire unused. Given a heated steering wheel is something entirely new, not previously available and then removed, I would be surprised if the pre-2021 harness has the required signal wire.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Fingers crossed.

On my model X I can turn the steering wheel heater on and off independently of all the other heating options via the touch screen in the car. It also comes on automatically from the app when i preheat the car on cold days but I can also turn it on/off via the app.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I've recently been given a MX loaner whilst my M3SR+ was being serviced. I much prefer my model 3 in absolutely every way, except for the heated steering wheel. I'd much rather save £60k and not buy a MX and pay something reasonable to get a heated steering wheel on my model 3!

I can’t see how this can be retrofit, but I’ll be glad to be proven wrong.

This isn’t like the electrochromic wing mirrors that Tesla added and then removed, before readding again, this would presumably be something completely new on the Model 3.

The idea that the loom has always had the wiring in place for a heated steering wheel seems unlikely given the fact Tesla went to the trouble of changing the loom for the wing mirrors (so early/mid 2020 Model 3s can’t retrofit them, as the wire isn’t present, suggests that a new loom will exist for Model 3s that have a heated steering wheel. It’s possible even the refresh 2021 ones don’t have it.

I also don’t believe that it’s always been there and Tesla have been waiting to turn it on/enable it. They’ve made rear heated seats a purchasable option a long time ago.

Some keen eyes have spotted material differences in 2021 Model 3 and Model Y steering wheels compared to older versions.

upload_2021-1-15_23-56-51.png

basically lack of stitching (at 10 and 2 positions) denotes possible heating element

upload_2021-1-15_23-51-29.png

Also standard Model Y now has heated wheel
upload_2021-1-15_23-46-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-15_23-48-20.png
    upload_2021-1-15_23-48-20.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 41