Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would/will you pay for heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The harness and steering wheel controller is unchanged, at least according to the EPC.

Obviously the EPC could be wrong, but I would presume that it will be a paid software unlock for cars that already have the heater element steering wheel in (pre-MIC 2021 Model 3s), and maybe, hopefully a retrofit option for older cars.

A new steering wheel will be a lot more than £200.

Just thought I'd bump this with some more news - there's been some great analysis done by a guy on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...easibility_study_on_the_old_model_3_modified/

Short version: It appears possible to jerry rig a heated steering wheel to get power on older Model 3s. It blows the e-fuse (presumably because it's expecting the wheel to use that much current). That sounds really bad, but it's progress :)

It also appears that Tesla may have steathily changed the steering wheel harness (1112053-00-D) to have an extra blue connector for the heating element, per that linked thread. Annoyingly this means whilst I thought the steering wheel itself was the only thing that has changed, it actually might not be. It seems that Tesla might be modifying components without changing the SKU - boo!

Also - from this post it appears as if it might be the case that the "non heated" steering wheel (part: 1095222-90-O) that I thought wasn't heated, because the UK EPC shows a different SKU for the heated MIC one (1490214-CN-B) - per here - might be wrong too. It seems to be the case that Tesla are just calling the standard wheel with built in heating element "M3 - SW ASSY, PUR" even though it has a heated element in, because that's what is going to be standard.

The good news is that anyone wanting to retrofit a heated steering wheel would need to buy the whole steering wheel, which as an assembly contains the required harness and software controller anyway, so ultimately I think the retrofit job ought to be as simple as taking one wheel off and putting another one, and getting a service centre/Tesla to unlock the option for the car.

I would expect a replacement steering wheel to cost a minimum of £500, though, plus the option cost.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
The car is reported to have v10.2 (2020.47.101.1), which doesn't look like it's had a general release, so might be a branch that includes the controls for the wheel ahead of a more general release.

I think the version is a red herring. Cars shipped from the factory often have an odd firmware for no reason other than thats what factory shipped. No secret/unique features other than the Tesla standard practice of targeting some versions at specific vehicles. Our Model 3 came factory delivered with 2019.15.107 - it then immediately updated to 2019.39.2.2 the evening of delivery which was fully in line with the versioning at the time.

If the Model Y's are being delivered with functional heated wheels, I see no reason why that functionality has not rolled out to general fleet if hardware the same but then it won't be the first time that sleeper hardware has been left disabled in a car for later activation - ie SR+ heated rear seats.

Last edited:
Irata: How do you find out what battery is in your car?
Thanks

Undo the front wheel liner, like when adding mud flaps, and use an inspection camera to read the battery label which points forward.

Although some have done it with a phone camera, but I'd be worried about dropping it. I've not done it myself, but I've seen photos from the model 3 battery forum elsewhere on this site.

The labels show made in China or made in USA. Some cars that came from Fremont have a battery with a made in china label.

So... I'm not sure a made in China part necessary means assembled in china. So if they shipped batteries from China, then why not ship steering wheels.

I think the version is a red herring. Cars shipped from the factory often have an odd firmware for no reason other than thats what factory shipped.

Ah, didn't know that - mine came with a current release, but I expect the SC updated it before I collected.

If the Model Y's are being delivered with functional heated wheels, I see no reason why that functionality has not rolled out to general fleet if hardware the same but then it won't be the first time that sleeper hardware has been left disabled in a car for later activation - ie SR+ heated rear seats.

Looking at the US site, there's no mention of the heated wheel in the specs at the moment, so it seems odd to ship new cars with the wheel active if the hardware has been around longer. Then again, I guess it could also be enabled by manufacture date at the moment.

It's also possible that the rumour about the H/W being fitted in vehicles from mid December is right, that would explain the deliveries arriving now getting it. I guess it'll all shake out in the next month or two.

Reactions: Durzel
MIC Model 3 delivered in UK with heated steering wheel confirmed. Suspect custom firmware (like other model 3s in wild).

https://twitter.com/tesla_adri/status/1366059150170611712?s=21

5DA4885A-8944-4F2E-AA63-AD8DDC12D00C.jpeg

Reactions: browellm and Durzel
Wonder where this was actually confirmed on FB? No one has collected yet, have they?

Having said that it was pretty obvious these cars would come with this, since the UK EPC lists the steering wheel as having heating now.

We won’t know the answer to the retrofit question until someone buys a wheel that is guaranteed to have the heating element in. That might take a bit of time to filter down the parts chain etc, although with the MIC car about to be delivered and replacement parts needing to be available hopefully that won’t be too long.

We’ll know about the custom firmware shortly too, once people start taking delivery. That said it was discovered on Reddit that Tesla recently upped the efuse blow current going to the wheel, so it looks like they are readying a heating wheel enabled firmware.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Holy crap that is some version number... 2020.39.104.2.1

I definitely think that this confirms that this hasn't yet been activated in "mainline" firmware. I suspect it's probably coming very soon though. I would also assume that these MY21 cars won't update to the "current" 2021.4.x in the short term.

Reactions: CMc1