Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you change about your model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A dedicated button for the Homelink.

I've said this before, but... I'd rather have a big dialog box pop up with a large button based on location rather than the tiny drop-down that now appears. Maybe they could even make it look like the "clicker" that comes with the opener. I can't tell you how many times I've missed the little drop down menu mainly because I am usually just going over the curb to my driveway when I try and reach for it.

As a South Florida resident, I would like an umbrella pocket in the door...

1c9c0b87c99a9192ee369f62d13e69ee.jpg

RR has it... Why don't we?!

My New Year's wish list from Elon: Let's focus on easy stuff that could get done if they allowed two decent programmers to take ten minutes away from working on autopilot:
1. A big homelink button on the screen, and/or the ability to control from steering wheel.
2. When you click the phone button on the steering wheel, it gives you a choice of "Recent" or "Phonebook". It would be great to designate five "Favorites" to pop up in that window, or, as a second choice, just for add a "Favorite" button to take me to a submenu with my five favorites.
3. All the cosmetic and driver safety version 7.0 fixes (visible speed lines, more prominent power bar, visible high beams indicator light, get rid of the stupid toy car, easier view of power regen, etc.) that we have all waxed poetic about.
4. The ability to change the order of your favorites in your radio stations list, and maybe even give us a screen with buttons for each favorite.
5. A timer function in the iPhone app or in the car screen allowing me to program the heat and heated seats to go on at a specified temperature and time every morning (they can just add this to the non-working auto-learn function button). I have this function enabled in one of the tesla third party programs on my desktop, but half the time it can't get through Tesla's servers to talk to my car (same complaint for the official tesla app on my iPhone).h
6. You know the college kid who wrote the excellent web trip planner, evtripplanner.com, that can navigate you to supercharger so that make sense? The app that beats the living crap out of Tesla's much-hyped at the same thing, which is absolutely worthless? Pay the kid the rest of his college tuition to buy the friggin' program and incorporate it into the tesla.
7. Probably harder to do than the above, but oh so appreciated: the voice function on this car is great, but too limited -- please add to the list of voice commands to permit verbal text reading and writing, favorite station selection, etc. stuff that you can do on a technologically backwards BMW, or Infiniti, for that matter. Siri or Google voice integration (to voice search for weather, sports scores,stock prices, etc) would be great too.

Other than the voice commands, is that asking for too much?

7. Probably harder to do than the above, but oh so appreciated: the voice function on this car is great, but too limited -- please add to the list of voice commands to permit verbal text reading and writing, favorite station selection, etc. stuff that you can do on a technologically backwards BMW, or Infiniti, for that matter. Siri or Google voice integration (to voice search for weather, sports scores,stock prices, etc) would be great too.

Other than the voice commands, is that asking for too much?

What about CarPlay, wouldn't that solve this and the phone favorites?

I don't have a Tesla yet, but I would prefer the charging port in the middle of the car rather than one side. On my ICE, the fuel port is behind the rear license plate which makes it easy to refuel the car from either side. It would make charging in the garage a lot easier.

As many people would like, I would like more storage in the passenger compartment.

I've said this before, but... I'd rather have a big dialog box pop up with a large button based on location rather than the tiny drop-down that now appears. Maybe they could even make it look like the "clicker" that comes with the opener. I can't tell you how many times I've missed the little drop down menu mainly because I am usually just going over the curb to my driveway when I try and reach for it.

Doesn't the homelink open the garage automatically based on the georeference? Or do you actually have to touch it? Seems odd.

Just be thankful it's there. The brand new 2016 Volt does NOT come with Homelink (even though my 2011 did!)

- - - Updated - - -

Also a good door pocket tool

I'm in FL too, actually a native, and have NEVER put an umbrella in the door pocket - never put ANYTHING in the door pocket. It rattles, makes noise and would drive me crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a Tesla yet, but I would prefer the charging port in the middle of the car rather than one side. On my ICE, the fuel port is behind the rear license plate which makes it easy to refuel the car from either side. It would make charging in the garage a lot easier.

If you've driven electric for a while, you'd know. The charging needs to be on one side of the car or the other. The Leaf is the only car that has a center charge port and I can think of a number of times I'd NOT be able to charge due to the parking constraints.

If you haven't been driving electric, then you can install your Nema plug or HPWC on your garage wherever you need to. If you're getting MS, then plan for that back driver's corner! :)

Yep. Happens to me about every other time. Neat idea, but the lack of an actual button is the problem when you are simultaneously making a 90º turn and going over a curb into a driveway.

Can we assign a steering wheel button to homelink when you are in range of the garage? That would be the safest solution. Every time I reach for the big touchscreen while driving, my wife yells at me over safety concerns. Granted, when the homelink pops up to open the garage door, you aren't driving at 60 mph, but it is still better for it to be a steering wheel button.

You're WAY more agitated than I am. Keep in mind, my comments were NOT directed at any person here- only Tesla as a company for making some pretty basic mistakes on the interior. You obviously need the Xanax more than me. I only drive it a couple times a week.

What is it that I'm asking for that's unreasonable and not found in other comparably priced cars??? And I never said I didn't like the design of the interior, it just has some pretty obvious issus.
Show me another electric car with 200 mile range and can seat 5, and will allow me to charge on the way to Vegas, and I'll seriously consider trading it in.
Some of you guys need a Xanax bad. It's not like I'm insulting your wife or kids. I'm pointing out OBVIOUS FLAWS in an otherwise very nice car.

No OBVIOUS FLAWS as far as I am concerned.
No need to suggest I require Xanax either.

I am very happy with the features, and like the clean uncluttered styling of the car.

It seems you are confusing your personal preferences, with actual design defects.
Just because it doesnt have a feature you want, does not make it a flaw however loud you shout about it.

just came from test drive, now have a infiniti q50 hybrid. actually about the same size. things I could not believe are as above on storage options plus, really no adjustable height on seat belt, almost every car has that. I'm 5-6 certainly not a giant but not a tiny one, and belt juat cuts my neck, and sun shield does not have any adjustment toward mirror what do you do when thats where glare comes in, infiinti jus slides out (BTW) my mercedes 300c also sucks on the sun shade no adjustment in the horizontal certain non 'engineering' changes are due, these things are not reinventing the wheel

Storage, as mentioned by others, but can't be mentioned too often;
OnLine mapping as can be done in the car showing charging locations - at this price we shpuldnt have to rely on 3d-parties;
Display altitude;
Storage;
Sun visors that move on their rods and mirrors that light;
--Compared to BMW 7, Audi 8, the Tesla is not a very good luxury car. But oh my, is it a car!

No OBVIOUS FLAWS as far as I am concerned.
No need to suggest I require Xanax either.

I am very happy with the features, and like the clean uncluttered styling of the car.

It seems you are confusing your personal preferences, with actual design defects.
Just because it doesnt have a feature you want, does not make it a flaw however loud you shout about it.

If it's not an obvious flaw, how am I suppose to set my profile after my wife has driven the car? I can't get in the car to get to the screen since her seat setting leave me no space to sit down in the seat.
So the cup holders being too far back to be useful isn't an OBVIOUS FLAW? Especially when there's ALL KINDS of room in the center console for two cup holders?
OBVIOUSLY NO ONE needs cup holders in the back right??? And yet, there are PLENTY of threads of people asking for ideas for rear cup holders.
Can you really use the center console to rest your arm on during long drives? How about if you have a drink in the cup holder?? That's not an OBVIOUS FLAW is it??
The center arm rest is essentially USELESS, when it could have been so much better.
There's NOTHING "clean and uncluttered" about that.
Who's confused now???