Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do about a mirror bumper caught on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
When browsing my sentry mode clips from today, I came across a clip of a rather flagrant mirror bumper. I've uploaded a portion of the clip here on YouTube. Absolutely no regard for my car; if the mirrors hadn't been folded or if we were parked closer to the line she might have damaged something.

It looks like no damage was done. I checked my passenger side mirror and found only some black rubber from her door on the chrome. I didn't get a plate number, but later in the video it's clear she's wearing a uniform from the store we were shopping at. I wouldn't want to make a big fuss to her employer and get her fired, but it would be nice to somehow let her know to be more careful in parking lots. What would you do about a mirror bumper caught on your sentry mode?

Best to move on. Let karma play out. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. I used to sit in my car at work and take personal calls or relax and I was surprised how often someone would tap my car with a door or their backpack/jacket etc. I’d usually say hey, excuse me and they’d be startled and apologize. If there’s no damage, no foul. True story; I was waiting for someone in the 3 and a guy came up the back of the car running his finger from the c pillar to the front door. I rolled down the window and said excuse me...I won’t ever forget his response, “oh, I was just admiring this beautiful design.” I must admit, had he not had an Italian accent, it wouldn’t have been so disarming.

If the manager questions what you mean then I would show him the video emphasizing that no damage was done but clearly could have been but I'd probably just make the statement first out if I was going to say anything to begin with.

Given that her car was parked a decent distance from yours, throwing the door open fully like that is surprising, and unnecessary, given I think most people will exercise some care as it could chip their door edge as well.

Best to move on. Let karma play out. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. I used to sit in my car at work and take personal calls or relax and I was surprised how often someone would tap my car with a door or their backpack/jacket etc. I’d usually say hey, excuse me and they’d be startled and apologize. If there’s no damage, no foul. True story; I was waiting for someone in the 3 and a guy came up the back of the car running his finger from the c pillar to the front door. I rolled down the window and said excuse me...I won’t ever forget his response, “oh, I was just admiring this beautiful design.” I must admit, had he not had an Italian accent, it wouldn’t have been so disarming.

If I could have a word with the woman privately, I would. But it might be a bit strange to head back to the store and seek her out. I think I'm going to give @Silicon Desert 's suggestion a try. Best case scenario the manager has a group meeting with them and fewer doors get dinged. Worst case scenario nothing happens and we all move on :cool:

Well, if there is no damage...

It reminds me the other day. I open my door and sure enough I hit the car beside me. Ok, I am ready to leave a note, but just in case, I rubbed my finger on the mark I left...and....the mark vanished. So I just get clother, looking like the weirdo of the parking lot... but it doesn't matter how close I get....no marks any more...so I didn't leave a note....feeling a bit guilty but there is nothing to report. What you guys would have done if you were capable of filming me ?

For me if there is nothing...then...just let it be !

Reactions: willow_hiller
That was an interesting phone call. The manager was insistent about asking for a time; when I hesitated, she promised me the woman wouldn't be in trouble, but said that calling all of the staff in for a group meeting would be too much. And I think she asked me two or three times if I was sure I didn't want to file an official complaint. To be honest she seemed way too enthusiastic about the whole situation.

In the future, I may very well just leave things be...

• Informative
Reactions: Runnergirl
So someone bumped your stuff, caused absolutely no damage, and you want what to happen? Why?

The point isn't that she caused no damage. The point is she used my mirror as a door stop, and I want her to be more careful in the future.

If someone has a habit of opening doors so wide they hit someone parked as far as me, I wouldn't be surprised if she's a serial door-dinger.

When browsing my sentry mode clips from today, I came across a clip of a rather flagrant mirror bumper. I've uploaded a portion of the clip here on YouTube. Absolutely no regard for my car; if the mirrors hadn't been folded or if we were parked closer to the line she might have damaged something.

It looks like no damage was done. I checked my passenger side mirror and found only some black rubber from her door on the chrome. I didn't get a plate number, but later in the video it's clear she's wearing a uniform from the store we were shopping at. I wouldn't want to make a big fuss to her employer and get her fired, but it would be nice to somehow let her know to be more careful in parking lots. What would you do about a mirror bumper caught on your sentry mode?
No damage, no foul. If there was damage, different story.

The point isn't that she caused no damage. The point is she used my mirror as a door stop, and I want her to be more careful in the future.

If someone has a habit of opening doors so wide they hit someone parked as far as me, I wouldn't be surprised if she's a serial door-dinger.

Like I said, if there was no damage what is the problem? You’re making a pretty big leap with that assumption.

no damage isnt an excuse, nobody should be flinging their door open like that. it was pure luck that he didn't wind up with a door ding. too many people are inconsiderate a-holes. let her learn a lesson before she damages someone else car. how hard is to open your door with some caution?

Reactions: devilmountain
I read all the repsonses prior to watching the video. Obviously an older woman. She appears to not be in the least bit concerned her door banged into the mirror. She then walks to the rear of her car, with the door still open. The "jarring" your mirror took tells me she was very inconsiderate of the car next to her. Enough bumps to the mirror like that will cause the motor to fail or malfunction. My opinion is that this is "normal" for her. Too bad because this wasn't her first time, nor will it be the last.