TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What would you do if this happened to your new M3 3 weeks after purchase?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by HanSolo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

3 Week old 14 s plus totaled :(

Here we are talking and having fun about a car that realistically will not be hitting the market in any quantity for 2 years. It is clear that we are enthusiasts and us enthusiasts can be histrionic when it comes to the thought of something happening to our car. This car apparently got caught in a massive hailstorm and the pictures are bad enough to make you want to vomit. Look towards the bottom of that thread for the worst pictures.

2. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Throw it in the gutter, and go buy another.

3. vjason

vjason Member

Not quite the same, but after signing a deal to trade in/buy a new car I had to drive home real quick in the trade in to pick stuff up.

10 minute drive, and a stupid deer bolted out of the woods 2 feet in front of me. Say goodbye to about $1000 of trade in value.

4. BBryson

BBryson Member

I would really like to have a Model S, and I can afford to buy one even though it would be the most expensive car I ever purchased.

But knowing how easily a car can be damaged, just couldn't pull the trigger for the MS.

I am very excited about the Model 3 and looking forward to getting the car.

But, to answer Hans question: I would cry if my Model 3 gets damaged. Especially if it's totaled before the production backlog catches up to orders causing my replacement to be months/years away.

That being said, of the 400,000 current reservations, odds are someone is going to have an accident driving their Model 3 home from delivery.

Bruce

5. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

Those are the hazards that always worry me about depreciating consumables like cars. I get some angry and upset over a door ding and couldn't imagine this happening to my car. In Cincinnati, we have horrendous roads and that poses another expensive risk. Because of the amount of demolition and excavating activity, flying debris is another huge risk as a family friend's Toyota just got totaled after a tire and rim flew off the back of an uncovered truck when that truck hit a pothole. The police said she is very lucky to be alive. The driver took off and was never caught.

During the winter, other hazards include those big ice blocks that fall off the undercarriage of semis as I have heard of them sometimes puncturing fuel tanks and other low hanging parts of the car. I know that the battery sits under the car.

6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I'll be buying extended insurance coverage. That's all I'm sayin'...

7. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Dilluting Kool-Aid with Realism daily.

Call my Insurance Agent....:cool: And regret that I'm now at the end of a very long line. :eek:

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

This happened to my brand new Volt about 5 weeks after I bought it. Luckily, no injuries or frame damage. $7500 worth of damage tho. I was hit by an uninsured motorist which made it even worse, as it had to go on my insurance and I paid the deductible. I didn't have gap insurance, so if they had totaled it I would have been writing a check.

image.jpeg

9. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

How do you like your Volt? That is another Plan B option along with the rest in my sig. I like how the latest version has upto 50 miles of EV range which is pretty good. Because it has the gasoline range extending generator, I could get rid of my current ICE car and save even more money. I plan on keeping my current car simply because I need to drive a lot and having a backup is critical for me in case of power outages or I am driving into a rural region too far from any Superchargers.

• Like x 1
  10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Love my Volt! It's been a great car. First GM product I have owned (came from a Lexus). No mechanical problems for me (other than the accident and a few small fit/finish stuff right after I bought it) and very low maintenance costs.

I have an 80 mile round trip commute, so I have to use the gas engine daily, but there are folks who drive them and don't fill up for months. Transition between battery and gas is always seamless other than hearing the engine noise - no hiccups or hesitations or anything. Lots of low end torque and that smooth one gear EV acceleration. (Not very exciting all the way up to 70, but decent). Nice interior with the leather, and a fairly decent entertainment/NAV system. (Terrible button layout tho).

If you don't need the 50 mile range of a gen 2 on a daily basis, a used Gen 1 would be a great cheap car for the interim before getting your 3. Don't drive the Gen 2 if you are going to look at Gen 1s, tho. The gen 2 is way snappier off the line. ;)

• Like x 1
  11. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I'll risk the weather eventually, but with my new S, at least for awhile, I'm checking the weather every time I think about taking it somewhere where it will sit outside. I don't want to risk getting storm damage (either from hail or downed trees). I guess that's the downside of finally getting the car I really wanted.

12. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

I would be considering a brand new Gen 2 if I end up cancelling my reservation. There are numerous reasons for that such as too long of a wait or it costing way more than the $45-50k I can budget to spend with at the minimum AWD and bigger battery. I can be frugal on options but those two are a must at that price point.

You know what they say that if "you don't have a car that you look back at after you have parked and are walking away from, it isn't a car that speaks to your soul."

• Like x 2