Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do with this tree?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does "height max of 35 feet" mean?
It has to do with what is a heritage tree, which requires submitting an application to remove the tree rather than just cutting it down.
So if your tree is more than 55 inches in circumference at 4 1/2 foot from the ground OR over 35 feet, it is a heritage tree and you have to fill out the form, have it inspected. And likely you will get told you cannot cut it down.

Reactions: Fred42
Thanks for that clarification. :)
Doesn't help me though as the neighboring pine trees are easily over 35'.
Charles, I would not use my city's rules as being indicative of what Monterey has in place. The city is a little tree crazy here. It matches their policies of slow growth and preservation. And to be honest, these are some of the reasons we live here.

I have a similar problem, on the southwest side of my house about 50 feet away I have some very tall oak trees. Only a problem in the winter as the sun is lower in the sky and as it moves to the west it is behind these trees so some portions of my solar array is shaded. Every year as these grow it gets worse, I have had my tree guy come out and we talked about topping the trees to allow the sun to hit my panels. The problem is that if I do this then in the summer afternoon the house would get hotter especially since our temps have been historically high.

I have a similar problem, on the southwest side of my house about 50 feet away I have some very tall oak trees. Only a problem in the winter as the sun is lower in the sky and as it moves to the west it is behind these trees so some portions of my solar array is shaded. Every year as these grow it gets worse, I have had my tree guy come out and we talked about topping the trees to allow the sun to hit my panels. The problem is that if I do this then in the summer afternoon the house would get hotter especially since our temps have been historically high.

Interesting trade off. We have some trees that we need to trim for safety reasons, as they are up hill from the house and would be a hazard to the house if they fell or dropped limbs. I have found that trimming gets to be a rapidly repeating cycle. Bigger, older trees grow faster, unless they are dying. 6-7 trims would pay for the removal of the whole tree, but we like shade and the being close to nature feel. I also think they have a significant cooling effect in the summer, not just due to shade but also due to air cooling from transpiration.

If it were me, I would consider adding panels to make up the difference, as it is a one time investment rather than a recurring and escalating expense. Fringe benefit your home stays cooler in the summer.

Just my $0.02.

All the best,

BG

Interesting trade off. We have some trees that we need to trim for safety reasons, as they are up hill from the house and would be a hazard to the house if they fell or dropped limbs. I have found that trimming gets to be a rapidly repeating cycle. Bigger, older trees grow faster, unless they are dying. 6-7 trims would pay for the removal of the whole tree, but we like shade and the being close to nature feel. I also think they have a significant cooling effect in the summer, not just due to shade but also due to air cooling from transpiration.

If it were me, I would consider adding panels to make up the difference, as it is a one time investment rather than a recurring and escalating expense. Fringe benefit your home stays cooler in the summer.

Just my $0.02.

All the best,

BG
Yes, we normally need to trim our trees every couple of years. These are near the house and would be a problem with the high winds we get, requires a professional some need to be cut down and some need trimming. You are correct in that the more you trim the faster they grow. I cannot add more panels but could replace the 10 year old panels with current more efficient panels.

I love trees but sometimes their time comes for removal. My grandparents planted a blue spruce in their front yard. It was beautiful. They even decorated it with Christmas lights. But as time went on it grew to “dwarf” the house. When it was taken down the curb appeal of the house was increased greatly and everyone was happy with the result.
My other point is that sometimes it is better to make your decisions sooner rather than later to replace an item or remove it. Mentally you stop dwelling on the issue, the cost of replacement or removal always seems to go up in the future, you get to enjoy the improved item/landscape sooner and longer during your time living there, you possibly save money on damage you might have endured by waiting, and you may avoid something unfortunate ( falling off a ladder) or very costly such as major house/roof/panel damage.
You have a beautiful home and setting and much wisdom on solar systems. Thank you for all your help.

Last edited: