Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would You Do with Your Gas Debit Card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, that money is probably going straight back to them as paying for my vehicle registration...

Yikes! How much is vehicle registration there? Ours is $71.50 annually.

... and I think that card they're taking about is for gasoline only ... not that they'll do it here, but sometimes it feels as if the government is designed to do nothing but stick their hands in my pocket. All of the "givebacks" - stimulus plans, tax breaks, gas cards --- all of it is just a cost center for me. Make too much to benefit, too little to escape it.

Yikes! How much is vehicle registration there? Ours is $71.50 annually.

... and I think that card they're taking about is for gasoline only ... not that they'll do it here, but sometimes it feels as if the government is designed to do nothing but stick their hands in my pocket. All of the "givebacks" - stimulus plans, tax breaks, gas cards --- all of it is just a cost center for me. Make too much to benefit, too little to escape it.

******!!!!!, my last year's vehicle registration is about 8x that, I believe it was about ~$560. I do expect it to go lower to low $500s this year, but still a significant amount. Even something like 10 year old Honda civic still costs in the mid $200s...

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
We pay yearly in CA, On my wifes new model Y, the amount for license and registration =$724. Next year it will likely be in the 650-680 range (unless they tack on a EV specific fee that currently doesnt exist).

Yikes! We pay $85 at purchase to title the vehicle, and then annual registration is $84/year when the vehicle is less than two years old. It drops to $71.50 each year beyond that. Then we have additional benefits for EVs: no inspections necessary, permanent HOV lane access, and sales tax is waived.

Not often I can brag about the good things living here, but I think I just named them all. 😂😂

It is really effing stupid that the state is not excluding EVs. The stated reason for this Debit card is to assist with the pain at the pump. Why the heck would they give this to EV owners?

The wife and I have already talked about this and if I do get one for my car, we are going to give it to others to use - we don't feel right using it ourselves (she has a gas-guzzling Toyota Sequoia but she drives very little - we will keep the one for that beast).