Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personal opinion obviously. I would still take a Tesla with cloth over any other vehicle so if that is all the budget will handle then go for it.

That's the thing - it was not a budget decision. We went in thinking we would totally do the synthetic vegan leather but we were just underwhelmed for the $3500 cost. (we did a new order)

That combined with the reports of how well the synthetic leather holds up over time on the forums made us pick the multi-pattern seats. Would love to hear more feedback from folks on this topic though.

I am wondering if I could poll forum members on my situation. Long story short, I have an early VIN 90 D model X which Tesla is re-purchasing for multiple ongoing issues. I do love the driving experience of MX and I am planning on purchasing a replacement. I am getting around $100k back from Tesla and my goal is not to add to much to that sum when I get a replacement. Here are the options as I see it:

1. Order new 100D, skip PUP and get cloth interior. My current MX has PUP (or the old version of it) and I honestly use nothing from it. I turned off the automatic door first day I got the car.

2. Order new 75D, fully loaded. Not my favorite option since I am driving 90D.

3. Wait for an inventory car. This is what I did with my current car and I like this option best, but supply is dry right now. I can wait another month or so to see if some new inventory pops up.

What would you do?

good question. I wouldn't buy a 75 if you live in cold climate. i'm in Chicago and the 75 is totally inadequate because the heater uses so much battery. I've told tesla that I don't think they should even sell the 75 in cold climates.

wondering how you got them to buy it back. I assume by agreement? and not via lemon law?

My car had been in repairs 13 times in less than 10 months of ownership. Certain issues were not fixed even after multiple attempts. I asked for buyback back in November. They kicked it up to their "financial team" and buy back was granted. I am still in the process.

I am still getting various issues with my FWDs after the last repair. The service manager has approached to me if I still want the car or do I want to give them more chances to try this/that. I promptly said no and would like a replacement vehicle instead. He is going to start that process now.

My FWDs consistently detected very close (red line on screen) phantom objects when the car is under the sun for 10min, which render the doors unable to be opened. It’s been a week or so since I picked up the car from the 6th service visit. Yesterday it was hot so I parked the car outside to test. When I first got in the car, I could clearly see the phantom object detected again, so I was going to take a photo but it was gone before I could snap a pic. Now here’s the new issue, I went next to the door, waving my hands and all right next to it, and the sensors did not detect a thing. I tried various distances - same thing. I opened the door with me standing next to it, it opened, bumped into me, and continued to open pushing me away... it didn’t sense a thing.

I don’t know if they have the ability to “customize” my individual car’s sensors. I feel like they have some code in place to check sensor readings (temperature) and disable or tuned down the sensitivity if the conditions meet. Hence the red line showed up when I first got in the car and then gone. The end result is to stop the whining customer from complaining again. I can’t imagine the dangers imposed when the sensors are crippled like that. By the way it’s a new door with all new sensors and parts inside.

Last edited:
I am wondering if I could poll forum members on my situation. Long story short, I have an early VIN 90 D model X which Tesla is re-purchasing for multiple ongoing issues. I do love the driving experience of MX and I am planning on purchasing a replacement. I am getting around $100k back from Tesla and my goal is not to add to much to that sum when I get a replacement. Here are the options as I see it:

1. Order new 100D, skip PUP and get cloth interior. My current MX has PUP (or the old version of it) and I honestly use nothing from it. I turned off the automatic door first day I got the car.

2. Order new 75D, fully loaded. Not my favorite option since I am driving 90D.

3. Wait for an inventory car. This is what I did with my current car and I like this option best, but supply is dry right now. I can wait another month or so to see if some new inventory pops up.

What would you do?
Wait for inventory car when Tesla makes their next big release of new features of Model X/S. There have been several P100DL's with 35-40k off in recent months. There will surely be more when they announce the 'next' big thing (which will take 36 months to come to fruition).

I am still getting various issues with my FWDs after the last repair. The service manager has approached to me if I still want the car or do I want to give them more chances to try this/that. I promptly said no and would like a replacement vehicle instead. He is going to start that process now.

My FWDs consistently detected very close (red line on screen) phantom objects when the car is under the sun for 10min, which render the doors unable to be opened. It’s been a week or so since I picked up the car from the 6th service visit. Yesterday it was hot so I parked the car outside to test. When I first got in the car, I could clearly see the phantom object detected again, so I was going to take a photo but it was gone before I could snap a pic. Now here’s the new issue, I went next to the door, waving my hands and all right next to it, and the sensors did not detect a thing. I tried various distances - same thing. I opened the door with me standing next to it, it opened, bumped into me, and continued to open pushing me away... it didn’t sense a thing.

I don’t know if they have the ability to “customize” my individual car’s sensors. I feel like they have some code in place to check sensor readings (temperature) and disable or tuned down the sensitivity if the conditions meet. Hence the red line showed up when I first got in the car and then gone. The end result is to stop the whining customer from complaining again. I can’t imagine the dangers imposed when the sensors are crippled like that. By the way it’s a new door with all new sensors and parts inside.

I had ghost object detection early on with both FWDs. They replaced sensors, twice in one side. Never had an issue again. Strange they can’t fix yours. Maybe try another SC?

Wait for inventory car when Tesla makes their next big release of new features of Model X/S. There have been several P100DL's with 35-40k off in recent months. There will surely be more when they announce the 'next' big thing (which will take 36 months to come to fruition).

Good advice. That’s my number one strategy. Just don’t want to miss tax credit deadlines, otherwise will wait.

good question. I wouldn't buy a 75 if you live in cold climate. i'm in Chicago and the 75 is totally inadequate because the heater uses so much battery. I've told tesla that I don't think they should even sell the 75 in cold climates.

Do you have the 100D? I also live in Chicago and am wondering how the MS 100D is holding up. Do you have any range issues? or any issues?

I had an early 90 like you, I sold it and have a 100D and love it. For the most part Tesla has worked out a look of the issues of the earlier models. I would get the newest 100 you can afford/find.

Good luck!
No offense, but your oa is an idiot :)
I asked my OA and he said the 75 had the 100 battery

My 11/2017 produced 75D shows up as a 90D on their maintenance screen. If they offer an unlock, it'll probably coincide with the next major refresh.

Here's my new 75D showing as a 90D. Maybe they all show up like this on that screen, but only Tesla techs would know.
20180131_102941.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy