Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been a Model S owner since 2015 and have decided to sell and get a Model Y LR. The S has been great, but for several reasons I am ready to move on.

I ordered the Y in May and it is ready for delivery. I am torn on taking delivery though as all of the news about version 2.0 has me intrigued. I am aware it could be another 12 months before I would actually get one but not sure what to do. Tesla’s are constantly changing and something new is always right around the corner, however this isn’t a new center console or thicker windows this a fundamental change to the battery system and castings. 4680 batteries could be a significant improvement.

I don’t absolutely need a new car and I already have a Tesla so waiting wouldn’t be too terrible. On the other hand, I will never get a price for my Model S that I can get now. My offers have gone up 10k since April. I also am really looking forward to having a new car with greater range, faster charging etc…. In my opinion the tax credits will never pass, so that plays no part in the decision to wait. I am also going to do some aftermarket stuff to the car, so trading in a year or two doesn’t make financial sense. The car I get I will keep for 5 years.

I have 3 options. Take delivery. Cancel my reservation and order in 2022. Put on hold for up to 3 months (that is the max), however that won’t solve the problem as no way they are making the 2.0 by early November.

My gut says wait it out, but everything else says buy it and forget about it. What would you do?

Buy it now. One, we are talking "Elon time" so it might be much longer than predicted. Two, even if the new battery technology has the capability of vastly better range, I doubt that it will all be utilized/unlocked in the Y 2.0.

We sold our 2019 Raven S Standard Range and are awaiting delivery of our Y. We give up some things from the S, but also gain (like you said) faster charging and more range with the Y. And now the Y has heated steering wheel and HEPA like the S.

I would get the Y now while your S fetches top dollar during the car shortage. Y pricing has increased $2500 since we placed our order, and $4K since January. When 4680 Y arrives I think it will be even more expensive than now and not much more range (to avoid eclipsing S/X range). Plus, I didn’t want the first year run of 4680 cars. The 2021 MY has much improved build quality over 2020 MY. Upgrade to 4680 later after it has matured.

Reactions: Wolfhausen
I would say take the $10k incentive, thanks to inflated used car prices, while you can. The best possible improvement from 4680 cells could be a possible* range increase and since you drive 2015 MS it sounds like the MY current range would already be a big upgrade. Not sure the next iteration of MY would give you anything you NEED.

Initially I was not going to get a MY LR until 2022-23 but the the increase in the used car market was a major decision in buying this year. Technology moves fast these days, so you are always missing out on the next big thing whenever you pull the trigger. The way prices have been going up, I would pull the trigger now and lock in the price.

Reactions: ucsdsig and Tha_Ape
I did the same. My ultimate conclusion is that the Y is as good as my old S in may respects at a much lower price point. In some ways its much better - particularly the sound system. I am going on my first Y road trip tomorrow up to the mountains near Taos. So I will check out speed of supercharging - should be better.

I have been a Model S owner since 2015 and have decided to sell and get a Model Y LR. The S has been great, but for several reasons I am ready to move on.

I ordered the Y in May and it is ready for delivery. I am torn on taking delivery though as all of the news about version 2.0 has me intrigued. I am aware it could be another 12 months before I would actually get one but not sure what to do. Tesla’s are constantly changing and something new is always right around the corner, however this isn’t a new center console or thicker windows this a fundamental change to the battery system and castings. 4680 batteries could be a significant improvement.

I don’t absolutely need a new car and I already have a Tesla so waiting wouldn’t be too terrible. On the other hand, I will never get a price for my Model S that I can get now. My offers have gone up 10k since April. I also am really looking forward to having a new car with greater range, faster charging etc…. In my opinion the tax credits will never pass, so that plays no part in the decision to wait. I am also going to do some aftermarket stuff to the car, so trading in a year or two doesn’t make financial sense. The car I get I will keep for 5 years.

I have 3 options. Take delivery. Cancel my reservation and order in 2022. Put on hold for up to 3 months (that is the max), however that won’t solve the problem as no way they are making the 2.0 by early November.

My gut says wait it out, but everything else says buy it and forget about it. What would you do?
I would take delivery of the Y and sell the MS. You are getting a good resale price on your current MS. The new Y will be better than your current S on range and everything else.

You have never been in a better time to sell a used car.
switch now or never.

This is a perennial dilemma. I think the question is how important is the latest and greatest Tech. If you really want the latest and greatest you're probably going to have buyer's remorse if you get the current generation as good as it is. Another question that might be a variable but for which we have no real information is whether the 4680 cell will significantly boost range or whether they're going to reduce the size of the battery pack given the lighter vehicle and other efficiency gains so that the range boost is minimal. Hard to really make a decision with so little information.