Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so let me describe my particular situation:

I live on a two house lot in Los Angeles in the back house specifically. I had a 240v outlet installed on our unit so whenever I charge my car I run a Camco 30' extension out to my driveway. It's a little bit of a process, opening the storage to get the extension, then running it safely out to the driveway. In the morning I wrap up the two cables and schlep them back into the storage. That being said, I charge my car when I hit around 50 rated miles, usually once a week. Yes I'd love to pull into the garage and plug it in every single day like many of you, but it's just not ideal for my particular situation.

Now here's my question for you all. I chose to lease my Model S 70 mostly for the 2-3 year commitment, knowing how fast technology moves, etc...A range charge gets me about 240 miles, 90% is something like 215 miles. It is WAY more convenient to range charge since I'm only charging up once a week or so. Those extra 25 miles go a long way for me.

Should I avoid the constant range charging? Or is a perk of leasing that I don't need to take into consideration the long term life of the car?

Kind of an ethics question here. What would you all do?

Charging to full is not nearly a big deal as charging to full...and then letting it sit there.

If you can time the charge so that it ends about the time you will be driving off in the morning, then I would say go ahead and range charge.

If you can't do that for some reason, I don't think I would. I try to treat others' property as well as my own (or better).

1. If you lease the car for three years and then get rid of it, it's not going to matter.

2. Try to set the time so that the charge ends about when you start to drive. It's sitting at high SOC that really hurts.

3. I would try to think of a way to have the extension cord left out so that I didn't have to do the unwinding every time.

4. An alternative would be to install an HPWC outside. You can set dip switches on the HPWC so that you can use a lower amp breaker rather than the 100 amp breaker (and the expensive install assuming you are limited in the service or panel) to get the full 80 amp charge.

Teslas are designed to be charged between 50-90% for daily driving. To range charge your Tesla to 100% every single week over the course of 3 years is a substantially greater stress on the battery, and not how it was designed to run.

Put it this way, if you put excessive wear and tear on an ICE, the most expensive part of the car, you will be dinged when you turn it in at the 3-year mark. I suspect Tesla is no different, perhaps even worse, for they have usage logs, and additional objective points of reference.

1. If you lease the car for three years and then get rid of it, it's not going to matter.
jerry33, would you be comfortable owning a CPO Tesla owned by someone who takes your advice on charging?

Last edited:
Put it this way, if you put excessive wear and tear on an ICE, the most expensive part of the car, you will be dinged when they inspect it at the 3-year mark.

I don't think this is true with Tesla. They told me that range charging frequently is of course discouraged but has no impact on the lease return (I too am leasing). That said I have range charged mine three times all related to long distance travel. I wouldn't mistreat it.

To the OP - I don't think in good conscience I could do what you are considering. But that's just me.

I don't think this is true with Tesla. They told me that range charging frequently is of course discouraged but has no impact on the lease return (I too am leasing). That said I have range charged mine three times all related to long distance travel. I wouldn't mistreat it.

I would be a bit careful and read the fine print--your residual is based on certain expectations on the shape of the car--they might not take kindly to excessive degradation of the battery and ding you accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

I also agree with the suggestion of hardwiring a HPWC or lockable 14-50 outlet by the driveway instead of the whole extension cord drill. Regardless, I would not range charge everyday, go to 90%.

As you decide what to do. Consider that Tesla very likely has the entire history log of your vehicle. They know what you did (or didn't) do. I arranged an option service visit, and was surprised by getting the exact mileage when I called in. I know they never asked. Of course, they just pulled the logs from the car.

All great advice thanks everyone. To be clear, I've only range charged once for my trip to Sedona last week. Just having that extra mileage is very tempting but I think I'll just stick to 90% charges. Seems like the right thing to do and I don't want to mistreat the car in any way.

Ok so let me describe my particular situation:

I live on a two house lot in Los Angeles in the back house specifically. I had a 240v outlet installed on our unit so whenever I charge my car I run a Camco 30' extension out to my driveway. It's a little bit of a process, opening the storage to get the extension, then running it safely out to the driveway. In the morning I wrap up the two cables and schlep them back into the storage. That being said, I charge my car when I hit around 50 rated miles, usually once a week. Yes I'd love to pull into the garage and plug it in every single day like many of you, but it's just not ideal for my particular situation.

Now here's my question for you all. I chose to lease my Model S 70 mostly for the 2-3 year commitment, knowing how fast technology moves, etc...A range charge gets me about 240 miles, 90% is something like 215 miles. It is WAY more convenient to range charge since I'm only charging up once a week or so. Those extra 25 miles go a long way for me.

Should I avoid the constant range charging? Or is a perk of leasing that I don't need to take into consideration the long term life of the car?

Kind of an ethics question here. What would you all do?
Have you looked/asked around your workplace for 110v outlet for charging access? If you were allowed to charge at work you could pickup some extra range and not be too stressed about the range charging.