TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by smilepak, Jun 24, 2017.

Tags:
?

See Above Question

Poll closed Jul 1, 2017.
  1. I Pick #1 above

53.3%
  2. I Pick #2 above

46.7%
  1. Skipdd

Skipdd Supporting Member

It's been a couple of months since I discussed it with them, so I could have misremembered, but I'm actually re-leasing not buying the 100D. Thought it was a buy-out transaction first, then purchase - essentially a paper transaction that results in new car being leased. If I've misunderstood or there is a better way, I'm interested. I understand I could just purchase and still trade-in at some future point. But lease vs purchase is as much a religious discussion as it is financial. There are intangible reasons for one vs another as well as financial..

2. whitex

whitex Active Member

If you are buying it out only to turn around to trade it in, consider any sales tax costs (I am not sure how it works in MD). It may be cheaper to return it and pay the penalty, then buy the new car brand new. Consider this:
    1. Let's say your lease buyout price is $60K and your current trade-in value is $50K. So to return it, you have to pay $10K+tax. If you are buying a new car, Tesla may be even able to melt that difference into a new loan or lease.
    2. If you buy it out, then you pay $60K+tax, then trade it in for $50K. Now if you get sales tax credit on the $50K trade-in value, you break even vs. scenario #1, but if there is no sales tax credit, you pay tax twice on $50K.

If you are just trading the car in btw, it is just like returning it early, and the mileage matters. If you were buying it our (to keep it), mileage doesn't matter. If you turn around and try to trade it in, mileage matters again. I don't know what your details are, but the reason someone told you mileage mattered could have been because you were talking trade-in.

3. talhas3

talhas3 Real Estate Investor

Curious as to what you ended up doing. Its July 2018 and your lease was ending this month... :)