Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would You Like to Request for Teslive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys -

Put your requests for a (working) Factory Tour in the "Factory Events" thread - Bonnie is working on a possible factory tour for people coming in early enough to take a tour and someone from Tesla is monitoring that thread.... I'm flying into SJC Thursday night at 10:10pm and would love to take a tour on Friday.

Aaron

After having just taken the standard factory tour (which was great), I am really lusting after getting access to the fabled "Second floor" where the battery packs and other components are assembled....So if we go to the factory, I'd love to be able to get a peek at what goes on up there....No cameras, just Model S fans and engineers getting an inside view....

Tesla should loan a few MS's to volunteers of TESLIVE; then use these cars to pick up people from the airport :D
I would be up for that. I could possibly do some shuttle duty between SFO/SJC/Hotel on Thursday/Friday/Saturday if I had a loaner Model S for it.
(My LEAF would run out of charge too quickly to be of much use.)

I'll add 'airport pickups' to the volunteer list.
smile.gif

After having just taken the standard factory tour (which was great), I am really lusting after getting access to the fabled "Second floor" where the battery packs and other components are assembled....So if we go to the factory, I'd love to be able to get a peek at what goes on up there....No cameras, just Model S fans and engineers getting an inside view....

++1

My impression is that this simply is not going to happen. Too many secrets there. Would require a rock solid NDA.

Agreed, I wouldn't put it past other manufacturers to put a spy on the tour!

While I have no plans on making automotive batteries, I would definitely try my hardest to find out how/what/why they make the batteries the way they do.

And I work for plenty of manufacturers, and their stuff is not even close to being special, and they guard their equipment from pictures and other contractors somewhat (at least way more than is merited)from looking at it.

My impression is that other manufacturers have already purchased Model S cars and have probably torn them apart anyways...GM is supposed to be well known for purchasing two copies of every production car on the market and leaving one intact and taking one apart to look at in their lab...

My impression is that other manufacturers have already purchased Model S cars and have probably torn them apart anyways...GM is supposed to be well known for purchasing two copies of every production car on the market and leaving one intact and taking one apart to look at in their lab...

I am sure they have. But seeing something assembled, and seeing something being assembled, are often times much different experiences.

Seeing a magic trick is really cool. Seeing how a magic trick is done is something completely different. Much is the same with manufacturing. A lot of the magic is in the process/equipment to make something, not in the object itself.

For example, lets assume GM, Ford, BMW, VW/Audi all have cut open a 85kWh battery, they know exactly how it is made, how it works. They decide to make one, the first one is by hand and you have engineers doing a lot of the actual work, but you get a perfectly good Tesla equivalent battery. Now you know what to make but only have clues as to how it was made.

Lets say Tesla has 1 bad battery pack per 10,000 (just random numbers). So they have to pay for material and production time for 10,001 batteries to get 10,000.
Now say VW/Audi has 1 bad battery pack per 1,000 (more random numbers). So they have to pay for material and production time for 10,010 batteries to get 10,000.
This amount of loss seems insiginificant, but assuming there is ~$30,000 worth of material and labor in a battery pack. Tesla will save $540,000 a year (20k units) over their rivals.

And if they have a superior testing method of the battery (so no bad ones get out) they would save $30,000 plus, the shipping costs to ship out a warranty part, labor to replace that person's battery. Which could easily get to over $40,000 per battery. So if you have the same rate of 'bad batteries' making it into cars you would save another $720,000.

And if you change those numbers to 1 in 1000 for Tesla, and 1 in 100 for VW/Audi you can add a zero to the net savings over a year. Minute increases in efficiency add up quickly in manufacturing. I am right now chasing 0.1% yield for a client, working overtime, because if it gets fixed it will save them more than paying for me EVERY DAY!

They would still not likely let us in areas they consider confidential but yea, I am sure new Tessa's have been opened up and studied by the competition.