TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What would you name your Tesla? Elon Musk on The Colbert Report

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Bulletproof, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    Elon Musk on The Colbert Report last night and mentioned an update regarding our beloved Tesla's. Everyone knows the Model S has opened up the future of automotive engineering and with the latest software you will be able to name your Tesla sooo that had me thinking about what I would name mine.

Elon named his "Old Faithful" What would you name yours?

Check out the interview here and the software comment at Part 1; 1:20

http://gizmodo.com/heres-colberts-complete-elon-musk-interview-from-last-n-1610792543

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Voltaire.

"Il faut cultiver son jardin"

(Volt+Ampere)

3. Lump

Lump Active Member

Give me Waze, ability to name the car would be low on my priority list.

4. TES-E

TES-E Member

TES-E, of course. WALL-E' s sexy sister.

5. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

I'd call mine Mercedes, if that was the way to get Waze as the new navigation system.
    Or Porsche for that matter.

BTW my Mercedes' bluetooth name is ' Volkswagen', just to mess with eavesdroppers...

6. iffatall

iffatall Member

I am kinda confused about this feature. I cannot see what the big deal is, why this is worth mentioning, or why it is even considered as a feature in the new firmware. Am I missing something?

Most of my electronic devices have had the capability to be named - computer, phone, tablet, iPod, etc. etc. - for several years. I never felt like they were my pets because of that capability.

7. caddieo

caddieo Member

Ditto. But this nothing more than a very human tendency called anthropomorphism.

8. HillCountryFun

iffatall and caddieo: You both are exactly right! What we're missing is "what is Tesla going to do with the name (and other things) to help personalize the vehicle??? That's something Elon mentioned a couple of months ago was that v6 was going to add a lot in terms of personalization. Great, so what does THAT mean? I've been trying to think about what they might do and I only come up with a couple of small ideas. Looking forward to it anyway!!

9. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

"The Great Pumpkin". It will rise out of the pumpkin patch at midnight on Halloween and give candy to dogs in WWI flying ace costumes.

10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Perhaps you'll be able to activate voice control just by calling the car's name a la "Old Faithful, open roof to 50%."

Either way, I agree that hopefully the basic features many of us have been waiting years for will come out in 6.0.

11. caddieo

caddieo Member

Appreciate your concurrence. In terms of personalization- they already have the VIN. How much more personal can you get? And suppose in the future when Tesla cars number over 100K, the law of large numbers and randomity will probably result in a couple of owners using the same name. Then what? :confused:

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Name squatting?

13. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

Hey, my Model S has been to Old Faithful!
    Because I bought it for my wife, I'd probably call it HoneyBug. That's her nickname.

14. iffatall

iffatall Member

I thought of this when he first mentioned this "feature". But then when I thought more about it, I figured it would take more effort to say "Old Faithful, open roof to 50%" than to just press the button on the steering wheel to activate voice commands and just say "Open roof to 50%". Given a choice, I would always end up doing the latter.

"OK Google, do I need an umbrella today?" is potentially easier because you may not have your phone in your hand at the time. The only time when "Old Faithful, open roof to 50%" will be easier is when you are driving and do not have your hand on the steering wheel.

15. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Naming the cars adds to the usefulness of community navigation
    You see the other Tesla cars on the map and identify them with their (nick)names.
    (Of course Waze already has this feature, plus the possibility to join groups of users.)

16. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

#16 DrGuest, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    My Precious, I've never loved an inanimate object before, however I Love My Precious, I Mean My Model S. ;)

17. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I agree with those that think naming a car is kind of silly. However, when I get my wife her Tesla, I'd use names to distinguish - probably mine would be "Phil's car".

+1000 to those that said Don't waste a second on this feature when you could be adding things like Waze or, even better, Google Nav with dynamic routing.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate the Elon came up with the "you can name your car" feature when Colbert asked him what was coming up with the Model S. Of course he was just being playful, and obviously the next major firmware release will include many new and truly useful features.

19. iffatall

iffatall Member

I don't think Elon was just being playful. It appeared as though he was really excited about that feature. You can tell from the way he explains it. Also, if I am not wrong, he has mentioned is elsewhere too.

May be there is some super cool aspect of this feature that we have not fathomed yet.

20. eepic

eepic Member

*clicks steering wheel* "Old Faithful, set a course for Rocket Road, warp 2. Engage."

MX seating in Extant ep. 1 gives me a glimmer of hope :)