Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What ya make of this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lookin for advice...

Got my car back after having some bodywork and it came back worse than it went in, I’m not even sure how some of these issues happened but I’m gutted, 4 month old car and scratched to the high heaven and paint defects gallor

Gave the paintwork a cleanse today and the FWD have got more swirl marks than a 50year old fiesta looks shocking.

515D2573-AD12-43C2-B4E9-4C46DDD8B083.jpeg 81793BAE-649B-432D-8D40-4B506AF27107.jpeg E2C3FA95-4A94-4060-8D26-D88DA807043C.jpeg 3949ACB2-3066-47B0-81C9-93118490AB11.jpeg E87F089C-BF67-47EA-AEB3-AE7362B186E0.jpeg

Believe it or not, Tesla sent it back to the body shop to be done a 2nd time because the first time wasn't good enough, whats sad is that the SC thought this was acceptable, they cleaned it before i collected so i have no doubt they say these issues and just decided to do nothing about it but knowing how much of a PITA i am, i'm surprised they didn't send it back again...

I reported it to them the same day, gonna call them tomorrow to discuss next steps, not sure where i stand but i want to request a different bodyshop as they are just devaluing my car with each visit... Gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get these fixed myself with paint correction....

A little overspray i can forgive and fix myself within reason but i feel sick with theses.

The SC have been very helpful and good throughout my entire Tesla journey so I’m confident they will do what’s right and sort it.

I actually spoke with them today and they are gonna come back to me with an update and next steps plan.

I have zero confidence with the approved body shop they used and dread to think what more damage they will do, it only went in to have some stone chips on the FWD ,repair the inside where the FWD had been rubbing the paint off and repaint the spoiler and it’s grown into this...

ceramic coating - dont think so - why would tesla apply a non factory treatment?
They should get the car professionally repaired, which means correctly applied colour basecoat amd clear topcoat.

The photos above show a shockingly poor standard of workmanship. It might be refinishable but more likely will need to be cut back and re-done properly.

Personally I would have returned the vehicle to Tesla and required them to provide me with a loaner which I would keep until the work is done satisfactorily.

The problem Tesla have is they (understandably) restrict repair shops due to the dangers of working with damaged EVs, however this creates a closed market and they don't have the resource and/or fail to monitor the standard of workmanship at the repair centers long before the vehicle is ever returned to the customer.

The result is substandard workmanship is all too common, as are insanely ludicrous costs, which in turn put up everyones insurance premiums and damage the brand.

Tesla would do well to appoint a czar or equivalent to drive some sanity into the repair process with regular inspection and oversight of these privileged partners, terminating their contracts abruptly if they repeatedly screw up.

No help to you, but I took my car just a few miles from collection to somewhere that would wrap it. They told me to accept the car as-is with any paint defects as their preference was to sort them out, rather than repair a botched SC handover-job. This not specifically Tesla-brand but all the Marques that they did (and the cheapest car in their lot was 10x my MS !)

So maybe worth considering you appointing someone to sort it out and sending Tesla the bill. Clearly their appointed agent isn't competent, and nor was the SC person that approved the work. The guys where I took mine to be detailed had a very different eye to paintwork than I am ever likely to have ... which is a good starting point! and may well not exist in a given Tesla SC.

...and who was that wrapping Bodyshop please?

Topaz Detailing London | Car Detailing | Paint Protection | Maintenance

Very impressed with their work, and how good it has been. Car sideswiped on roundabout and a wash and some hot air sorted the wrap and no paint damage at all (couple of minor dents, hard to see from a distance, had to be fixed). Scuff to bumper resolved with no paint damage. All the nudge-the-rural-hedge that I have done has left no marks, nor all the pigeon-poo that I have not rushed to wash off

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
All I know is they are in Leeds, still no real action plan from the SC yet...

They have told me they want the same place “to have a chance to put it right” but haven’t answer my question which is to what expense at my cost.

Waiting for an appointment with the SC manager this week to agree next steps I absolutely love this car it’s amazing but this just leaves a shity taste in my mouth, surebit will be sorted but still :(

Same advice from my detailer, he thought that a good part of what he was fixing had nothing to do with the factory and was added by the SC during their prep for the hand-over...

that reminds me of taking my Audi RS5 into Audi Hatfiled for service. Specific instruction not to wash the car. Guess what it was handed back washed ... with what must have been a scouring pad it was literally covered in swirls. Their only offer was to rewash the car!!!
(it cost me 800 quid at a detailer to fix the mess which they flat refused to pay, I could have fought but couldn't be bothered).
guess what - never used that dealer again and would never touch an Audi (or any VAG car again). Their loss.

I thought I’d post an update so that if anyone does see this in the future and read my horror they will also see the happy ending... if you know what I mean.

This week I got my MX back from the SC, needless to say they have had it for an age but I have to say they have bent over backwards to resolve all my issues and when I collected the car it was perfect like the day I collected it really impressed with the turnaround and service.

So whilst people will post Tesla is a pile of carp, sure they can be but It has to be said they put everything right in the end.

It’s been fun driving a P90D for the past 2 months but I’m glad to have mine back :)

Reactions: Terry_B58