Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What ya make of this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really pleased that all has panned out well for you in the end.

I have to say on a personal level that I have received nothing but exemplary service from my SC in Birmingham. In the past 2.5 years they have attended to half a dozen or more comparatively minor problems for me (including a broken wiper arm), a couple of which were self inflicted, and been very helpful and understanding. I've not been charged for any of the work done - ever!

I have absolutely no regret in my purchase - 65 reg P85D - and am even considering a new P100D particularly in view of the recent price changes.

A question I would ask is - If Tesla hadn't happened does anyone think the (then) existing car producers would have bothered with EV to the extent that they are now?

Maybe they would, maybe they would have been more protective of their existing ICE vehicles.

It annoys me to hear all the Tesla/Musk bashers constantly droning on about his eccentricity and forecast unreliability. The guy has (nearly) single handedly transformed an industry from the dark ages into a 21st century marketplace for 'world friendly' products.

And we're being part of that!

Absolutely not! I think Nissan would still be pushing the Leaf but I doubt they would have pushed with the 2019 edition and I’m pretty confident non of the others would be this far ahead with their EV game.

Not that I think any of them are that impressive but your right he has pushed them to get onboard the EV train.

particularly in view of the recent price changes

Going back up (3% I think) at midnight, so if you are tempted? need to get your running shows on :)

If Tesla hadn't happened does anyone think the (then) existing car producers would have bothered with EV to the extent that they are now?

No.

Old-guard, quite rightly from their POV, pushing for business-as-usual. Government have legislated change (pollution reduction / CO2 targets etc.), and a brave government would have legislated more aggressive timelines, but that is rare because Government is lobbied and donated-to, so that conflict causes slow change. Us lot got a generous BEV tax handout to become an early adopter etc. and ICE improvements have been made (and VW caught with their pants down in the process of course), so something would have happened anyway ... but too slowly.

My view is
a) history will judge that none of this was done fast enough (no shortage of scientists warning government to get on with it ...)
b) grand children will quite rightly say "You knew there was a problem and you did nothing about it"

Don't stop at driving a BEV, plenty more you can do, much of it not cheap, except that IME everything has turned out to be a good investment even though most people around me, at the time, were saying "lousy payback" ...