Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What year did Tesla add the new Tesla Chip to the FSD computer on the M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that Tesla has it’s on processor for the FSD computer now but not sure what year it was added to the Model 3.
Also curious those that paid for FSD and have and older hardware do you need to pay for an upgrade or use the older hardware?

I believe it was added in 2019 for the Model 3. I bought my Tesla in 2019 and I remember looking to see if I had the old hardware or the new Tesla chip because they recently upgraded it. By looking at the software changes, of whether you can see the traffic cones if you had the new chip, is how I know I have the new Tesla chip.

I believe it was added in 2019 for the Model 3. I bought my Tesla in 2019 and I remember looking to see if I had the old hardware or the new Tesla chip because they recently upgraded it.
Yes and was about April/May of 2019. It wasn't a hard date and some still got HW2.5 after others got HW3.

Also if you bought or buy FSD you are entitled to the FSD (HW3) upgrade.

Reactions: jjrandorin
....but not sure what year it was added to the Model 3.

Also what happens to those with FSD and still have HW 2?

Read my previous post.;)

Look under Software> Additional Vehicle Information and it will tell you the hardware.

IMG_3265.jpeg

Reactions: jjrandorin
I just got the computer upgrade on my 2017 model 3 this week. I am not impressed. Although it recognized the traffic lights, it still wants to stop at most of the green lights. It also will not stop and turn to follow the navigation. It won't even slow down. I guess that's not part of the current beta? It also does NOT recognize stop signs.

I just got the computer upgrade on my 2017 model 3 this week. I am not impressed. Although it recognized the traffic lights, it still wants to stop at most of the green lights. It also will not stop and turn to follow the navigation. It won't even slow down. I guess that's not part of the current beta? It also does NOT recognize stop signs.
You are confused.

You need to turn on the Red Light & Stop sign in the menu. It is off by default.
Also it will stop at ALL green lights that don't have a lead car unless you confirm with the stalk. It can only go straight through (NO turns).
There are only a few dozen people (non Tesla employees) that have FSD Beta as of now. So you and almost everyone else don't have City Driving/turn.
IMG_5568.jpeg

Last edited: