Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What year Model X to buy? 2016 or 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just signed up thank you in advance for any help.

I was originally looking at 2017 model X’s for my wife and now after seeing cheaper P90D’s for sale I am looking at 2016s.

We never travel over 15 miles if that. I can never see her using AP.

I guess my true concerns are reliability, safety and quality.

Accident avoidance systems I do care about. We will not be using the navigation system at all since we are familiar with our area and range really does not matter.

It would be awesome to pull it out at night and do some crazy pulls, but any negatives going with a 2016 P90D vs a 2017 75D? I only really see people comparing 2016s with 2018s.

Hi,

I was in same situation and ended up getting a 2016 p90d this past November. I love it but few points to consider in your decision making;

1) free super charging? The 2016’s will have this, not all 2017 will. If you take road trips a lot may be more of a benefit to you to have

2) autopilot HW version. 2016 will have version 1.0, 2017 cars may have 2.0 and be more able to achieve ‘full self driving’ whenever tesla rolls that out. My 2016 will not be able to do that but give the (slow) pace of these advances it did not bother me. Autopilot 1.0 works great for highway driving, which is 95% of my use. A few of the more recent upgrades (such as navigation on autopilot) were not applicable to my car, but those upgrades haven’t always been as worthwhile as what autopilot 1.0 can do on a highway.

3) p90 battery pack degradation. I was not aware of this prior to my purchase but the early 2016 p90 battery packs have had degradation issues. (If you do a search in this forum you will see a long thread on it). My 100% charge miles when I got car was 233 miles not 250 (what a 90 battery should be). Thus my battery pack functions ‘like a 75d’ in its range. This was more an issue with version 1 early 2016 batteries (which mine unfortunately is). I would check and figure out if the p90 your considering purchasing is version 1 or not. If so, version 2 or 3 may be better. If you can would see what the 100% miles is on a full charge of a car your getting.

Overall I’m very happy with my choice. The extra power on the p90 makes for a very fun commute! 98% of times I don’t notice the 20 mile range difference so the trade off so was well worth it to me.

Good luck.

Hey guys, just signed up thank you in advance for any help.

I was originally looking at 2017 model X’s for my wife and now after seeing cheaper P90D’s for sale I am looking at 2016s.

We never travel over 15 miles if that. I can never see her using AP.

I guess my true concerns are reliability, safety and quality.

Accident avoidance systems I do care about. We will not be using the navigation system at all since we are familiar with our area and range really does not matter.

It would be awesome to pull it out at night and do some crazy pulls, but any negatives going with a 2016 P90D vs a 2017 75D? I only really see people comparing 2016s with 2018s.
With the parameters you have set, there is no difference. Get a color your wife likes.

I'm not sure about the P90D but I recently bought a late december build 2016 90D for the following reasons :
1. Unlimited supercharging
2. Five seat config with fold down second row
3. HW2.0 with FSD already paid for

So I basically got the 2017 features for a 2016 price with Unlimited supercharging.

A couple things to mention.
1. I had an earlier build 2016 90D loaner and the seats were way more comfortable to me than mine.
2. If you want a tow package, make sure the one you buy already has it. The upgrade is sold out, has been sold out for a while, and nobody at tesla can tell you when they will be available.

Sure, FSD driving may not be important and you need it.

But

If you have kids, wouldn't it be nice just to send the car to pick up the kids?

If you are creeping in age, wouldn't it be nice if that car would drive for you at night when you can't see as well?

And since you don't seem to need everything, why not just go for a Model 3?

We had a Q3 2016 MX. Listed below some interior differences I later saw when we had a 2017 loaner...not sure of the effective change date of any of these items, though and there is probably a nice list of these items somewhere.

FWD controls went from a hook-switch to flat button.
Rear of seats went from gloss hardshell to matte.
Limited timeframe of vented seats - maybe the 2017 would have them.

I've got a 6 seater 12/16 90D MX. Has free Supercharging and AP2 hardware. Think it's great! Recommend an 11/16 or 12/16 90D if you can find one. Dealers don't know how to price them since they don't see the value in free charging or AP2 as compared to an earlier 2016 90D. Mine doesn't have AP, but everything else (PUP, subzero, etc) and I paid 68k for a car with 16k miles. Thought I got a steal.

Reactions: gangzoom and mambro
) p90 battery pack degradation. I was not aware of this prior to my purchase but the early 2016 p90 battery packs have had degradation issues. (If you do a search in this forum you will see a long thread on it). My 100% charge miles when I got car was 233 miles not 250 (what a 90 battery should be). Thus my battery pack functions ‘like a 75d’ in its range. This was more an issue with version 1 early 2016 batteries (which mine unfortunately is). I would check and figure out if the p90 your considering purchasing is version 1 or not. If so, version 2 or 3 may be better. If you can would see what the 100% miles is on a full charge of a car your getting.
This must be an early 2016 issue. I have a late 2016 90 AP2.0 build and have seen a 2% degradation (100% is 254 now, 257 at purchase) with 40,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: mambro