Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whatever happened to my Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. I reserved it twice last year when I ordered my MS. That was 65 months ago. No calls , nothing ,

I did the same, I did get an email asking me to take a informational survey and to upload my energy usage data, which I did. It said I'd get a call back in the following weeks, nothing yet. I guess I could email them as suggested below at [email protected] if I was in a rush.

I got the reservation confirmed email on 5/29/15 and then got one on 2/11/16

It said:

Thank you for your interest in the Tesla Powerwall. In order to determine the best path forward for you, we ask that you take the following survey.

TAKE SURVEY

Then I got a survey received email that said (my personal info redacted):

Thanks for completing our survey, [my name]. With the data you've provided, we'll be able to identify the most efficient Powerwall installation process for your needs. We'll be back in touch in the coming weeks to further discuss your installation over the phone.

If you have a need to reach out before then, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected].

Thanks Again,

Tesla Energy

Response Summary
Are you currently a Tesla vehicle owner? Yes
MyTesla Login Username and VIN [my tesla username], P227XX
How important are the following capabilities to you?
Consuming my own solar energy Maybe
Reduced dependence on my utility Definitely
Backup power in case of an outage Definitely
Saving money on my utility bill Definitely
Installation Location
In which country would you like to install Powerwall? United States of America
Where will your Powerwall be installed? [My address]
Do you own this property? Yes
Solar Information
Do you currently have solar PV? I am considering solar PV
Utility Information
From which company do you currently purchase electricity? PG&E

Tesla Energy | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304

Those are all good examples of flawed marketing made worse by the fact that the Powerwall is NOT a standalone product. It has to be integrated with an inverter, and not just any inverter, but one designed with a high voltage DC buss.

I reserved one also on the first day. I got the survey too. However, I have not received any responses to my emails. Tesla motors said they do respond to emails to [email protected] . Some others posted that they have received calls from Tesla, but they are in California. I think, with the ramp up of assembly at the gigafactory, we should be hearing something soon.

Actually, a sales person contacted us and offered us Powerwall(s). However, after discussing the installation arrangement it was clear that he didn't have much background in electrical system interfaces and refused to sell to us, based on the way we intend to install them.

That was OK, since we really need a small Powerpack rather than a string of Powerwalls.

As background and maybe off-topic, we have 6 Solar Edge inverters running a 33Kw system ground-mounted about 1,000 feet from our home. Even at a slight sacrifice in round trip efficiency, we are going to install our storage in our home's electrical room, add the associated hardware to integrate the pack with the AC lines and panel and we're good to go. Didn't seem that hard to understand, but the sales person couldn't do so. It sounded as if he was working mostly from scripts.

Replacing six inverters and rewiring the system (and perhaps building a shed for the Powerwalls and additional controls) would be prohibitively expensive. Most of us with existing systems are going to have the same problem with the installation of storage.

Actually, a sales person contacted us and offered us Powerwall(s). However, after discussing the installation arrangement it was clear that he didn't have much background in electrical system interfaces and refused to sell to us, based on the way we intend to install them.

That was OK, since we really need a small Powerpack rather than a string of Powerwalls.

As background and maybe off-topic, we have 6 Solar Edge inverters running a 33Kw system ground-mounted about 1,000 feet from our home. Even at a slight sacrifice in round trip efficiency, we are going to install our storage in our home's electrical room, add the associated hardware to integrate the pack with the AC lines and panel and we're good to go. Didn't seem that hard to understand, but the sales person couldn't do so. It sounded as if he was working mostly from scripts.

Replacing six inverters and rewiring the system (and perhaps building a shed for the Powerwalls and additional controls) would be prohibitively expensive. Most of us with existing systems are going to have the same problem with the installation of storage.

I'm in Michigan, so a least they are talking to people in the Midwest region. Does your reservation for the powerwall show up in your Tesla account?

No sense in losing energy just to move the energy from component to component.
I understand your issue with energy efficiency, but in my case there is a pricing efficiency. My solar generation gets paid $0.37/kwhr and I can charge my car at $0.11/kwhr. My separate inverter/battery system just takes care of my critical loads during the day so maximum production gets paid at max rate and I also charge those batteries and my cars late at night at the low rate. Even though my round trip losses may be 20-25% the economic advantage of that arbitrage is compelling.

I think it is interesting that the powerwall requires 350V DC, the solaredge optimizers work at 350V DC and the DC fast charging charges at 350V DC (at least for J1772). It is as though you could directly charge your vehicle battery using the solaredge optimizers. Wonder if this is why Tesla chose to partner with solaredge? They just can't provide a huge current with small systems.

I understand your issue with energy efficiency, but in my case there is a pricing efficiency. My solar generation gets paid $0.37/kwhr and I can charge my car at $0.11/kwhr. My separate inverter/battery system just takes care of my critical loads during the day so maximum production gets paid at max rate and I also charge those batteries and my cars late at night at the low rate. Even though my round trip losses may be 20-25% the economic advantage of that arbitrage is compelling.
I understand this, but I think you are on borrowed time here. The utilities in California are doing what they can to eliminate this feature and soon the only value in solar is that you will be cheaper than they are.

And there is no reason you cannot have both options. Just saying if I want to keep it internal to my usage/storage, why waste all that energy that you have to compensate for by buying more panels etc.

.......I think you are on borrowed time here. The utilities in California are doing what they can to eliminate this feature and soon the only value in solar is that you will be cheaper than they are.
I am not sure what "feature" you are talking about. If it is net metering, it is grandfathered in for existing users. What pricing model will make my system not have a positive payback? I know this is a Powerwall thread, but we are discussing the economics of employing battery storage.